Extremeskins

WP - Novak Says He Doesn't Mind Competition

IChiefLikeCP26

Novak Says He Doesn't Mind Competition

Click here for full article

By Howard Bryant

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, November 30, 2006; Page E07

At one end of the locker room yesterday was Nick Novak, the place kicker who is fighting for his job after an inauspicious beginning to his second tour with the Washington Redskins. At the other was Shaun Suisham, the place kicker the Redskins signed to the practice squad Tuesday to push Novak and possibly replace him.

Novak signed Oct. 10 after John Hall was placed on injured reserve following a 19-3 loss to the New York Giants. Novak beat out free agents Todd Peterson, Tyler Jones and Jose Cortez, but has made just 5 of 10 field goal attempts this season and is only 1 of 3 between 30 and 39 yards. He made 1 of 2 attempts in Sunday's 17-13 win over Carolina. Coach Joe Gibbs also is upset by Novak's short kickoffs.

"How many kickers go through ups and downs? The ones that stick in the league are the ones who get through it," Novak said. "It's a business, and if you don't produce a little bit, the only right thing to do is to bring in a little competition."

Novak Says He Doesn't Mind Competition

Click here for full article

By Howard Bryant

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, November 30, 2006; Page E07

At one end of the locker room yesterday was Nick Novak, the place kicker who is fighting for his job after an inauspicious beginning to his second tour with the Washington Redskins. At the other was Shaun Suisham, the place kicker the Redskins signed to the practice squad Tuesday to push Novak and possibly replace him.

Novak signed Oct. 10 after John Hall was placed on injured reserve following a 19-3 loss to the New York Giants. Novak beat out free agents Todd Peterson, Tyler Jones and Jose Cortez, but has made just 5 of 10 field goal attempts this season and is only 1 of 3 between 30 and 39 yards. He made 1 of 2 attempts in Sunday's 17-13 win over Carolina. Coach Joe Gibbs also is upset by Novak's short kickoffs.

"How many kickers go through ups and downs? The ones that stick in the league are the ones who get through it," Novak said. "It's a business, and if you don't produce a little bit, the only right thing to do is to bring in a little competition."

He looked very sad about it. He knows if Suisham is any good, Nick is gone by this Friday.

Bugle quote:

"We went to the power stuff. We moved the line of scrimmage against a heck of a football team," Bugel said. "That's the commitment Joe made to the football team. It's still his team. He'll do what he wants to do."

Anyone else read this as "Gibbs took back the offense" or "Gibbs added HIS plays to the playbook" :whoknows:

Novak is lying. He hates the fact that he can't kick straight and the Skins are desperately looking for a replacement.

I hope we all remember this quote the next time some coach says that Taylor Jacobs is the best player on the team or some other nonsense. It bothers me how many fans take anything said by any player as the whole truth.

I guess we dont have any interest in Vanderjak. I wonder what is wrong with that guy. I dont think that he wants to play right now.

As for Novak if I were him and got another chance to kick a field goal for the Washington Redskins I would not miss it!! And If I did I would pack my stuff that night.

I guess we dont have any interest in Vanderjak. I wonder what is wrong with that guy. I dont think that he wants to play right now.

I was just reading a couple of articles about the cowgirls cutting Vanderjagt. He kicks a long kick-off which would be a big plus for the redskins. "He was 13-of-18 on field goals [this year], a 72.2 percent success rate that was the lowest of his nine-year career. However, he's still the most accurate kicker in league history ((230-for-266) 86.5 percent) along with his record of 42 consecutive makes. [This year], only one of his misses was completely botched; three hit the right upright and another was blocked [Washington]. [The block at Washington was because of] a missed assignment by a lineman."

I would be actually encouraged if the redskins got him. What's $1.8 million per year to a very good kicker when you're paying AA $5 million per year to be an average punt upback or a run-stopping SS? We're paying Todd Collins $1.25 million per year to be a piss poor 3rd-string QB. This investment, I think, would be worthwhile. For one thing, he would want payback everytime he plays against Dallas. The long kick-offs are a big plus. And if he just makes 75% of his FG attempts, it would still be A LOT better than most FG kickers, especially the ones the redskins have now.

I think Gibbs is probably protecting John Hall by not going after Vanderjagt which is a real shame for the fans especially considering John Hall has his own problems. :( I think the Cowgirls signing Martin Gramatica will come back in bite them in the ass. :cheers:

Novak has no one to blame but himself. He has been given two opportunities to make the team. He has failed miserably. I thank him for making that kick against Dallas, but he had just missed one from the identical spot on the field. He had to make it. That is if he wanted to get out of FED EX in one piece.

To get two opportunities to make a team and fail, is your own damn fault. A kicker is only asked to do two things, kickoff, and make a field goal when given the opportunity.

So the new guys era begins. Hopefully he will like it here in DC, and starts kicking the hell out of the ball. I can accept a long field goal attempt missing. But what I can't accept is a miss within 40 yards, and a kickoff that can't get beyond the 20 yard line in the air.

I was just reading a couple of articles about the cowgirls cutting Vanderjagt. He kicks a long kick-off which would be a big plus for the redskins. "He was 13-of-18 on field goals [this year], a 72.2 percent success rate that was the lowest of his nine-year career. However, he's still the most accurate kicker in league history ((230-for-266) 86.5 percent) along with his record of 42 consecutive makes. [This year], only one of his misses was completely botched; three hit the right upright and another was blocked [Washington]. [The block at Washington was because of] a missed assignment by a lineman."

I would be actually encouraged if the redskins got him. What's $1.8 million per year to a very good kicker when you're paying AA $5 million per year to be an average punt upback or a run-stopping SS? We're paying Todd Collins $1.25 million per year to be a piss poor 3rd-string QB. This investment, I think, would be worthwhile. For one thing, he would want payback everytime he plays against Dallas. The long kick-offs are a big plus. And if he just makes 75% of his FG attempts, it would still be A LOT better than most FG kickers, especially the ones the redskins have now.

I think Gibbs is probably protecting John Hall by not going after Vanderjagt which is a real shame for the fans especially considering John Hall has his own problems. :( I think the Cowgirls signing Martin Gramatica will come back in bite them in the ass. :cheers:

You're right....but you're missing one thing. Gibbs doesn't want head cases on the team.

So, how many here actually believe that John Hall is coming back next season?

I, for one, do not think he is even stepping foot into the stadium!

Why would they keep him on IR collecting a paycheck every week and not just release him if they don't want to keep him? This is another reason to get Vanderjadt. Cut loose two average kickers and get one good one. John Hall is getting $1.5 million in 2006 and another $1.5 million in 2007 then in 2008 he is a free agent. Nick Novak's contract is for 3 years and the terms are undisclosed. So why not just pay Vanderjadt $1.8 million and cut the other two loose. I don't believe Vanderjadt is a head case neither. So he missed a field goal that would have put the Colts into overtime against the Super Bowl winning Steelers. He wouldn't have even gotten that opportunity if Jerome Bettis didn't make an egghead fumble at the goal line with the game clearly in their hands. As far as Dallas goes... Bill Parcells. Enough said.

Dude Vanderjagt has called out his teammates on numerous occassions...he is a classic me first player and the saddest part is hes a KICKER. The guy has shown no character throughout his career.

Do I still think we should give him a shot? Absolutely. I would in a heartbeat. If he opens his mouth once or causes one bit of trouble I'd cut him in a second. Hes smarter than to cause trouble (how would it look if he got cut from TWO teams in a year), and it would also make an example to the rest of the team...no heart, head in the wrong place, youre history.

Dude Vanderjagt has called out his teammates on numerous occassions...he is a classic me first player and the saddest part is hes a KICKER. The guy has shown no character throughout his career.

Do I still think we should give him a shot? Absolutely. I would in a heartbeat. If he opens his mouth once or causes one bit of trouble I'd cut him in a second. Hes smarter than to cause trouble (how would it look if he got cut from TWO teams in a year), and it would also make an example to the rest of the team...no heart, head in the wrong place, youre history.

If we cut Vanderjagt, we are back to where we started. I don't want the idiot kicker on the team in the first place. I do think Novak sucks and should be replaced, but I want a kicker who will actually stay on the team for a few years.

I agree. I don't think he will cause problems like a T.O., but of course I don't know him that well. At least, take a look at him for the team and fans. I suspect either the pay for him or the length of a contract is getting in the way of signing him. I'm sure the F.O. has already called his agent to see if he will take a paycut and wants a long-term contract.

Your age makes so much sense now. :laugh:

I'm sure he's disappointed in himself but he's also said that he has no one but himself to blame. I think calling him a liar is going a little too far. :(

I partially agree. While I see Novak saying all the right things, a lot of times people say it but feel differently.

Archived