Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Andre Carter's pass-rushing ability worth his weaknesses against the run?

TODD

The last two years we were a LOT better against the run, especially on the left side. At least some of our prior success can be attributed to Renaldo Wynn's strength against the run. Although he is a relatively benign pass rusher, Carter and Holdman's side is getting ravaged on 1st and 2nd down, and we aren't going to any games letting mediocre backs like Cadillac run on us like that.

Furthermore, it's not like Carter has played remarkably well, even on 5 to 7 step drops. He's been average, although improving slightly. I'm not sure that his pass-rushing prospects are worth the time of possession we are losing on account of him and Warrick.

It's time to give Renaldo some more reps.

He has pass rushing abilities?

In all seriousness, I think our LBs have been a bigger portion of the problem in the run game. Against Tampa, the DL did a decent job stacking up blockers and getting penetration but the LBs were late getting to the holes and when they did get there, they were driven back like blocking sleds. All that said, Andre Carter is the weak link on the D line in the running game.

Put him at Linebacker... even if he doesnt like it :laugh:

Heres a question though. Last year we had no pass rush, this year we have no pass rush with some additions. Could it be the coaching/scheme that doesnt help get that much d-line pressure?

Put him at Linebacker... even if he doesnt like it :laugh:

Heres a question though. Last year we had no pass rush, this year we have no pass rush with some additions. Could it be the coaching/scheme that doesnt help get that much d-line pressure?

Thank God someone else sees what I see.

It's the scheme, and it doesn't help that Carter plays with Holdman on his side.

How much is he making?

Tell him to shut the **** up and play wherever Williams says to.

The Forty Whiners tried that strategy with him already and he sucked at LB. He may shut up, and he may play wherever Williams says, but he most likely isn't going to be very good at it.

Sooo Spaceman. How's that whole square peg in a round hole strategy working out in other areas? I'm sure that eventually your keys will work upside down in your locks IF you push hard enough on them. And that driving on the left side of the road thing, just stick with it. They do it in Great Britain, so if you just keep doing it, eventually the other drivers will just shut up and get with the program. Yeah, riiiight. :rolleyes:

Damn I'm tired of hearing about 'the system' - players not systems win games. You pick the system that gives the players the best opportunity to win - and currently, i'm sad to say, GW isnt making the necessary amendments to his system.....e.g. Carter has struggled against the run - so take him out in obvious running situations and/or at least put a linebacker behind him who can run and tackle!!

As for the AA situation - dont get me started! AA is exactly as advertised......

Damn I'm tired of hearing about 'the system' - players not systems win games. You pick the system that gives the players the best opportunity to win - and currently, i'm sad to say, GW isnt making the necessary amendments to his system.....e.g. Carter has struggled against the run - so take him out in obvious running situations and/or at least put a linebacker behind him who can run and tackle!!

As for the AA situation - dont get me started! AA is exactly as advertised......

Good points. I'll buy it. Stubbornness on GW's part is probably the problem here. The liabilities of AC and AA were well documented before they got here. How can we be surprised? Why is AC being asked to be a stop-the-run-first kind of DE? Why was AA heavy involved in coverage?

Archived