Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We need to PLAY Archuleta!

IChiefLikeCP26

Randle El has been the only bright spot among the free agents this year. Campbell did'nt see him wide open for a deep gain on one play, but thats understandable. Jason showed enough promise to keep me interested. Lets just hope this is the start of a better year next year. A strong finish by Campbell would energize all of us fans.

Check out this article from one of the previous threads:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/23/AR2006112301041_3.html

Look on page 2 down at the bottom. "Jaws" goes through this play with quite a bit of scrutiny and shows that it was mostly the OL's fault and not Campbell's. An excerpt:

"In the far slot, Randle El runs a deep post across the field, 10 yards past Cooley. But the safety in coverage, Phillips, follows Cooley underneath, leaving Randle El wide open in the seam at the 10-yard line.

But at the line of scrimmage, Sellers, Jansen and Thomas allow two Tampa Bay defenders -- Spires and Jon Bradley -- to beat them and rush Campbell."

Basically 3 guys were beaten by 2 defenders who got to Campbell before he could make the play to Randle El.

Guest RedskinsB40

all ya'll do on this site is bust on Archuleta. I thought we were 'skins fans but all everyone is talking about is running all the players out of here. We will never be good if we cant get teams together and play like a team. Thats why we suck because NO ONE is playing like a team. This year your saying AA next year it'll be someone else. We need players to play together for more than a season but what the hell do i know im 17. Look at college teams they play as a team and with heart. AA states that he wants to play the game of football and its his true passion...any other player saying that? Keep bashin on them though and maybe we'll get players who arent physically able to play the game of football, are injured, and have NO heart. We are headed on the right track. how are we gonna go to the the super bowl our 1st year with a new off coordinator...when you get a new job do you instantly become a manager?

I don't think Arch is solely to blame for the defense's poor pass defense. This may sound like a mountain of excuses, but 1) this is his first year in this defense, 2) ST and Rogers have given up their fair share of long passes, 3) benching Arch hasn't made our pass D any better, and 4) Arch is known to be a run-stopper and blitzer, not a cover safety - he needs to roam near the LOS.

The commentary I've seen suggests that GW has been exclusively operating out of a modified cover-2 to stop the run. Seems like a faulty way to use Arch. Since the front 7 haven't done much to stop the run out of a cover-2, GW asked the safeties to give run support, which makes them susceptible to deep passes and breakdowns in coverage.

At this point, you could either blame Arch (for being weak in coverage) or the system (for knowing this, recruiting Arch anyway, and setting him up for failure). Personally, I think both sides are to blame. GW said today that he has a lot of respect for coaches who don't try to force rigid systems down players' throats, but instead try to fit systems to match players' strengths. Maybe he should modify his system to fit Arch's strengths, and perhaps Arch should also learn to distinguish between run and pass better.

Archuletta made his bed. He had his chance and blew it. How many times do you need to see this guy chasing the receivers he was suppose to cover? He is terrible. One of the worst cover safety, corner back, whatever he plays, He is just terrible. An embarassment to the team. The only thing that needs to happen to him, is an axe at the end of the season.

Look, I am just calling it like I see it. Adam has been one, if not the worst defensive secondary players in the league this year. With the money he got, he should of come into this season blazing. He is blazing alright, from the damn receivers that burn the crap out of him week in and week out.

Wow, how many players have to be 'Lavar'ed' before we start to see big name players avoid coming to DC? I said the same thing last year before the whole Lavar situation completely exploded.

If we start to have a string of 'previously talented' players PAYING to get out of DC, dont you think that is going to start sending up red flags for other players? And its not like players on different teams dont talk. Word gets around.

Everyone criticizes players like Pierce, Smoot, and Arrington who speak out against the Skins organization when they leave, but its starting to look more and more like they've been right all along. Where there is smoke, there is fire. Next year, if AA is looking to desperating get out of DC, that will just add more fuel to the fire.

All of these things are symptomatic of a much bigger problem in DC. Things need to change from the top down. I believe that AA, like Arrington, has not been playing his best football here recently, but after a while it becomes harder and harder to accept that these players suddenly forget how to play and now 'suck'. Eventually have to look deeper than the players.

I don't think Arch is solely to blame for the defense's poor pass defense. This may sound like a mountain of excuses, but 1) this is his first year in this defense, 2) ST and Rogers have given up their fair share of long passes, 3) benching Arch hasn't made our pass D any better, and 4) Arch is known to be a run-stopper and blitzer, not a cover safety - he needs to roam near the LOS.

I completely agree. The last couple of games, our defense struggled horribly to stop the run - something we were pretty solid at with AA in the line up, not to mention it is AA's strength.

ST gives up as many big plays as AA, and, from this season so far, I have to say AA is a more sure tackler than ST (because ST takes bad angles and goes for the big hits). I'm not suggesting we bench ST also (I'm not crazy), but it's clear AA is not the reason this defense is struggling.

I think it's idiotic to bench AA, espescially with our season being basically over. Chances are AA will be back here next season because of his contract. Why not let him learn the system and work on his game more instead of starting Fox?

Wow, how many players have to be 'Lavar'ed' before we start to see big name players avoid coming to DC? I said the same thing last year before the whole Lavar situation completely exploded.

If we start to have a string of 'previously talented' players PAYING to get out of DC, dont you think that is going to start sending up red flags for other players? And its not like players on different teams dont talk. Word gets around.

Everyone criticizes players like Pierce, Smoot, and Arrington who speak out against the Skins organization when they leave, but its starting to look more and more like they've been right all along. Where there is smoke, there is fire. Next year, if AA is looking to desperating get out of DC, that will just add more fuel to the fire.

All of these things are symptomatic of a much bigger problem in DC. Things need to change from the top down. I believe that AA, like Arrington, has not been playing his best football here recently, but after a while it becomes harder and harder to accept that these players suddenly forget how to play and now 'suck'. Eventually have to look deeper than the players.

Very well said...I agree with you 100%. :applause:

No way. AA is just another example of a player the skins paid way too much for , and is obviously past his prime. Giving up huge pass plays to TE's in critical situations has earned him his rightful spot on the bench. And furthermore , Carlos Rogers' play has gotten worse and worse. Joey " old man" Galloway absolutely torched rogers for a TD. Rogers was beat so bad, he just gave up on the play. Scheme or player? who knows. I do understand that our SERIOUS lack of pass rush is killing the rest of our Defense. Randle El has been the only bright spot among the free agents this year. Campbell did'nt see him wide open for a deep gain on one play, but thats understandable. Jason showed enough promise to keep me interested. Lets just hope this is the start of a better year next year. A strong finish by Campbell would energize all of us fans.

Hail.

Agreed

AA hasn't played as bad as Carlos Rodgers

I totally agree. Rogers runs up to tackle and sees a blocker and dives at the blockers feet. He's been pathetic! We need to play AA since we are out of the playoffs and maybe he will play better whereby we can trade him or keep him for one more year.

ohhhh okay.

What are you " ohhhh oking" about? It's true, that guy is a reliable source who used to work for the Wshington Post and has many friends within the organization. Do you really believe that the whole defense sucks because of a couple players? Hell no, it's the coaches, Williams and the safeties coach for the most part, are why the defense sucks!

Archived