Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We need to PLAY Archuleta!

IChiefLikeCP26

This guy gave up a few big plays, okay...

This was his first season in this defense...now that the season is a bust we can't go starting Vernon Fox...a career special teamer.

The following was taken from an washingtonpost article

Click here for full article

Fox "has done a very good job tackling and he's come along very well in our packages," Williams said of the decision to play Fox ahead of Archuleta."

"Fox, 27, said he had no idea of why he played ahead of Archuleta, but was happy for the opportunity Sunday. "I've tried to show these guys that I'm more than just a special-teams player," Fox said, while in recent weeks Archuleta has been used as nothing more than a special-teams player."

Fox is good at tackling??? Archuleta led any other strong safety before being benched in the Dallas game and still is top 4 in tackles among all NFC strong safeties...

After we took him out the defense STILL gave up big plays.

I am agreeing with his agent, this guy was made the scapegoat, now that he is gone the scapegoat is Rogers, but that is besides the point.

I personally would rather see AA starting now, especially since Vincent is out. Anyone else?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This was his first season in this defense...now that the season is a bust we can't go starting Vernon Fox...a career special teamer.

Fox "has done a very good job tackling and he's come along very well in our packages," Williams said of the decision to play Fox ahead of Archuleta."

"Fox, 27, said he had no idea of why he played ahead of Archuleta, but was happy for the opportunity Sunday. "I've tried to show these guys that I'm more than just a special-teams player," Fox said, while in recent weeks Archuleta has been used as nothing more than a special-teams player."

Fox is good at tackling??? Archuleta led any other strong safety before being benched in the Dallas game and still is top 4 in tackles among all NFC strong safeties...

I am agreeing with his agent, this guy was made the scapegoat, now that he is gone the scapegoat is Rogers, but that is besides the point.

I personally would rather see AA starting now, especially since Vincent is out. Anyone else?

yeah right:laugh:

No way. AA is just another example of a player the skins paid way too much for , and is obviously past his prime. Giving up huge pass plays to TE's in critical situations has earned him his rightful spot on the bench. And furthermore , Carlos Rogers' play has gotten worse and worse. Joey " old man" Galloway absolutely torched rogers for a TD. Rogers was beat so bad, he just gave up on the play. Scheme or player? who knows. I do understand that our SERIOUS lack of pass rush is killing the rest of our Defense. Randle El has been the only bright spot among the free agents this year. Campbell did'nt see him wide open for a deep gain on one play, but thats understandable. Jason showed enough promise to keep me interested. Lets just hope this is the start of a better year next year. A strong finish by Campbell would energize all of us fans.

Hail.

I'm sure this is step 1 to hopefully getting some sort of Lavar like end to the situation where Arch pays back some of his contract when we inevitably ask him to leave at the end of the year.

There's really nothing positive to say about anyone involved with the Strong Safety position this year (aside from that one blocked kick by vincent)

Obviously hes overpaid and isn't good in coverage. But VERNON FOX??? Come on guys, Archuleta helped stop up the run, and he got beat in MAN coverage over on Jason Witten...we should know better than to match AA with Witten up one on one, Witten is MUCH taller.

Also we can't judge our secondary as well without an improved pass rush.

But mark my words, many people on this board will be calling to play Archuleta when VERNON FOX doesn't cut it...

but hey I hope Fox can prove me wrong.

I wouldn't mind if Archaleta played in zone packages where he isn't in the position to bite on play action. He's really good at stopping the run. Maybe they can use him as nickel (off the line of scrimmage) on obvious passing downs. :)

Let's calm down people. I know that this year's defense is not playing well and we always like to point the finger at somebody. But let's be real. Archuleta did not forget how to play the safety position over the offseason. I mean, come on, when he signed with us he was up there with some of the best safeties in the league.

Anyways, what I am trying to say is that the defense as a whole has been terrible, not just Archuleta, not just Rogers and not just Holdman. EVERYBODY! The reason for this is not because they are bad football players, but just because this season is, well, a mess.

Give it time folks. I know that everybody had high expectations for this season, but did you honestly think that all of these big free agent signings were going to gel instantly and we were going to start winning automatically. Did you honestly think that Brunell was going to lead us deep into the playoffs? I know I didn't, but I never thought it was going to turn out like this.

What I am trying to say is that, even though Archuleta is playing like a rookie lost in a system, you have to play him. Even though Carter is not living up to expectations, you have to play him. Why, because in order for this team to become winners, they need time to gel together and learn the system.

I want to see how Fox does... I'm not at all excited that we have to have him in there playing, but might as well see if he could come out and become a player. But, I am afraid that this AA thing will bite us. I think we should keep decent ties with him and not screw it up, we already have messed up with overpaying him, but keep him satisfied and if Fox really sucks, talk with AA and make it clear to him what he needs to do, see if he can actually learn how to cover someone, and put him in. Worst scenario, he plays as bad as he did at the beginning of the season, best scenario, he actually learns how to cover, with that and his ability to stop the run and tackle, he would be very very dangerous.

AP play one season with GW defense and play well, Smoot play one season in GW defense and play well, Clark did well in his first season in GW defense, and you want Archuleta back. He is just as bad as Rogers.

Pierce and Smoot did not play his position...so don't compare them

and yes, we all know Clark fit better in the scheme. This post was directed at playing AA and not playing VINCENT FOX.

I guess you'd rather see a guy that couldn't even get playing time on Detroits defense...

I would rather at least see if this guy can perform well, I'm sure he wants out of Washington...it's funny how we run players out of town on defense...GW needs to swallow his pride and stop tryin to find scapegoats for a defense that has been figured out.

Sidenote...Rogers has given up 2 td's all year...and the ENTIRE defense sucks

Archived