Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell diverts the attention of how bad this team is...

skinsngibbs4life

I would say that there is a difference. You are still bitter because you backed Brunell and he was benched.

You think I'm bitter about that? You don't know me very well.

My argument has always been that there were bigger problems on this team than Brunell. Yet, Brunell was always the target of the fan ire.

So, in this game, we have a different QB, but the same results.

BTW, reread my thread and educate yourself on my views:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175698

Jason

You think I'm bitter about that? You don't know me very well.

My argument has always been that there were bigger problems on this team than Brunell. Yet, Brunell was always the target of the fan ire.

So, in this game, we have a different QB, but the same results.

BTW, reread my thread and educate yourself on my views:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175698

Jason

Its no use man. Talking to some of these people is like talking to a brick wall.

Hey, EARTH TO BRUNELL SUPPORTERS:

Obviously an entire UNIT (the defense) is going to have a bigger impact on the game than one crappy player (Brunell).

The reason why we continually harped on Brunell instead of the defense is simple and it deals with how readily the problems were fixable.

The defense needs a full overhaul. Our hardheaded coach couldn't make one simple decision pertaining to the QB, so we suffered. The QB position was fixable, the defense still isn't.

Actually, it is Brunell that distracted people.

People focused on Brunell being the problem so much, that they ignored other aspects.

Just as I thought, JC doesn't make this team instantly better.

Jason

This post in the first page of this thread says it best. I was very pleased with Jason's performance but he is just one guy. He doesn't play defense and this teams needs defense. We got ran all over all day long like a bunch of kids. On top of that, offensively our run game was once again rather non existant.

This is how I view our season.

After first two losses, John Hall is the punching Bag. He gets injured and is out.

We still lose....

Then Adam Archulette comes under heavy fire for just horrific coverage.

He gets semi benched...

So our fans become obsessed with Mark Brunell and his "old noodle arm"

Mark is benched, Jason's in....

So what's the problem? We keep looking for 1 person to put our soul blames on and think by replacing that one person, we will be better. Collectively as a team we are NOT good. Feels so weird to say that about the team I love but if our team is going to get better we need to work on so many more things and quit hiding behind these punching bags as the soul reason for our bad our team is. Jason can play his f'n best and we could still lose by big plays on our defense or poor mistakes on our offense.

I agree. I never suggested that Brunell was a pro bowler. But a problem is a problem an we have a big one on the defensive side of the ball.

And you are right about that and have been right about it while some of us (point finger at myself) hoped that it was not the case.

I still think that Brunell was a problem. He's now gone. Now onto the next problem and indeed it's the defense as a whole and the overpriced offensive line.

And you are right about that and have been right about it while some of us (point finger at myself) hoped that it was not the case.

I still think that Brunell was a problem. He's now gone. Now onto the next problem and indeed it's the defense as a whole and the overpriced offensive line.

Well put.

What I find funny is that the people who defended Brunell by posting his numbers and saying he was having a good season and should get pro bowl consideration are now running away from that position.

Who was arguing that Brunell should have Pro Bowl consideration this year? It certainly wasn't me.

I certainly can argue that he was close to a Pro Bowler last year, and probably deserved it more than Vic did.

But, that's all beside the point. Campbell doesn't divert attention from the problems, he focuses people's attention on it. Brunell was the one who distracts because he's old and people think his decisionmaking is suspect, which makes him an easy target for naysayers.

Now, there are no excuses.

Jason

Ok we should all just admit that The longshot and redskins81 were right all along and put Brunell back in.

In fact since the defense is so bad we can run the ballboy out as QB and it wont matter.

I dont know talking to you guys is like talking to a brick wall.

So what's the problem? We keep looking for 1 person to put our soul blames on and think by replacing that one person, we will be better. Collectively as a team we are NOT good. Feels so weird to say that about the team I love but if our team is going to get better we need to work on so many more things and quit hiding behind these punching bags as the soul reason for our bad our team is. Jason can play his f'n best and we could still lose by big plays on our defense or poor mistakes on our offense.

People seem to want to have a fall guy. They want someone that they can use as a whipping boy. Thing is, they are running out of those type of players. At some point, the fans are going to have to admit that the problems are deeper than any one player right now. That all goes back to the coaching staff. Hopefully, they can figure out what is wrong and see what is needed to fix it next year.

Jason

and I love it!!! Our team is gawd awful. Yet, today when I was watching the game, I could care less about how bad our defense looked.

All I care about is Jason Campbell now. And with our season basically over, this change couldn't have come at a better time.

At a point in the season where I would usually be pissed that we are producing another underachieving team, I truley dont care.

Finally, for maybe the first time this season, we have hope again. Hope that maybe for the first time in 15 years we have finally found our franchise QB.

All I can say is that I am very happy about Jasons performance today, and hope that it continues. :point2sky

I feel exactly the same way except for:

I don't see hope with a defense as putrid as ours.

It takes a team effort to win games, and for 2006, only our offense has pitched in to help.

Last year I was freakin that we would lose Sean Taylor.

Now I could care less.

He's worthless and overpaid!

As are the rest of the defense.

Gibbs better wake up and smell the turf.

As we fans have been smelling it since pre-season.

Believe what you want, but after the Titans game, It seems most people believed that Brunell was a bigger problem than the defense, even tho the Brunell-let offense produced 22 points.

Fact is, from early on, people wanted to lynch Brunell. So, we change QBs, and guess what? Not much of a difference.

Jason

Hmm.. I would say that most Brunell-bashers and Campbell-supporters, including myself, were completely aware of how bad the defense was, and didn't blame ALL of the team's problems on Brunell. But the bottom line is that Brunell was PART of the problem, and he was the ONLY part of the problem that could be REPLACED NOW. We can't replace the entire defense, all we can do is stew about it, and maybe exchange a few parts, which doesn't get at the larger issues on that side of the ball. Replacing Brunell, however, was an immediate and viable option, and we were pushing hard for it. We hoped to make a change in the one area that we really could, rather than focus on a defense that pretty much won't change until the offseason. And, for the record, Campbell looked much better out there than Brunell has looked: he eluded the defensive rush at times that you know Brunell would not have, and he made some great throws that we know Brunell is incapable of attempting. Maybe you should take your own advice at this point in the season and "Stop Whining."

It is a sad time to be a Skins fan. I took both my grown boys, and one of their girlfriends, to there first Skins game. We bought tickets and drove across the State of Florida to see them play. How did the Defense become so woeful? You could clearly see the weak play of both the offensive and defensive lines is KILLING us. OK, the offensive line did OK pass-blocking, but the running game is anemic, and Portis just makes it look respectable. Only one positive today-- Campbell can play--. We now have a quarterback for the future, if we only had a team for him. One other thing-why do we avoid throwing over the middle at all costs. Other teams earn big completions against us there, but it is "out of bounds" for us.

I was extremely pleased today. Yeah, it sucks we lost. Truth is, we're not gonna make the playoffs. I'm always a believer, but it was great to see a future QB in the game for the Skins. Campbell showed so much promise, and I'm excited to see him mature as he gets more gametime experience.

We've got a lot to look forward to in the QB position in the future.

Who was arguing that Brunell should have Pro Bowl consideration this year? It certainly wasn't me.

I certainly can argue that he was close to a Pro Bowler last year, and probably deserved it more than Vic did.

But, that's all beside the point. Campbell doesn't divert attention from the problems, he focuses people's attention on it. Brunell was the one who distracts because he's old and people think his decisionmaking is suspect, which makes him an easy target for naysayers.

Now, there are no excuses.

Jason

I'll only speak for myself and no other "Brunell Basher". I admit that I have been "against" Brunell right from the start. Never liked his signing and didn't like the way he played. Looking back, I certainly focused on the "Brunell problem" before any other problem facing this team.

I don't think I ignored other problems (though I didn't want to believe our defense became this bad so quickly) but I did feel that Brunell was a big problem and wanted him out of the way so I mostly posted what could be called "Brunell bashes".

Was I wrong to focus solely on Brunell and not talk about with other valued posters like yourself about other ills that this team has? Probably. I'll concede that point. But it wasn't because I necessarily disagreed with the points raised, it was simply because I sincerely did not believe this team would go anywhere with Brunell as the QB and that if our goal was a Super Bowl, he needed to be replaced.

It's too bad that now that we've finally done it, the rest of the team has collapsed.

You're right, now that Campbell is in there, we all have no choice but to focus on the other problems this team has. Thing is, replacing Brunell was the easy part, the defense is a problem that I just don't think we're going to see a solution for until the offseason (if then).

From what I saw today, I didn't see much of a change in the gameplan.

Throws to the sideline: check

dumpoffs to the backs: check

Not many passes down the middle: check

Jason

Your kidding right? Maybe we didn't watch the same game... JC was much more versatile then MB ever was here, and has a very nice pocket presence. I would expect the gameplan to be trimmed to keep the rookie from turning the ball over too much, which he didn't.

and I love it!!! Our team is gawd awful. Yet, today when I was watching the game, I could care less about how bad our defense looked.

All I care about is Jason Campbell now. And with our season basically over, this change couldn't have come at a better time.

At a point in the season where I would usually be pissed that we are producing another underachieving team, I truley dont care.

Finally, for maybe the first time this season, we have hope again. Hope that maybe for the first time in 15 years we have finally found our franchise QB.

All I can say is that I am very happy about Jasons performance today, and hope that it continues. :point2sky

I hope your right about finding our franchise QB but if history dictates itself we could just end up losing him and he will go to another team and win the superbowl! Wish I could be more optimistic. Jason did great and had good poise in the pocket. Its a shame that Betts, Duckett and the defense couldn't do their jobs. What 12 carries today:laugh:

HTTR!

He played pretty well but we still didn't get a lot of production out of the receivers. It seems like Thrash was our best guy out there. That's sad, but you know what? That's what this team needs. Not the BEST players available, just blue colar guys that go out there and play as hard as they can week in and week out. Thrash had a good game :)

He played pretty well but we still didn't get a lot of production out of the receivers. It seems like Thrash was our best guy out there. That's sad, but you know what? That's what this team needs. Not the BEST players available, just blue colar guys that go out there and play as hard as they can week in and week out. Thrash had a good game :)

Thrash always steps up when we need him. Maybe MC Hammer (Lloyd) can learn a thing or two.

Hmm.. I would say that most Brunell-bashers and Campbell-supporters, including myself, were completely aware of how bad the defense was, and didn't blame ALL of the team's problems on Brunell. But the bottom line is that Brunell was PART of the problem, and he was the ONLY part of the problem that could be REPLACED NOW. We can't replace the entire defense, all we can do is stew about it, and maybe exchange a few parts, which doesn't get at the larger issues on that side of the ball. Replacing Brunell, however, was an immediate and viable option, and we were pushing hard for it. We hoped to make a change in the one area that we really could, rather than focus on a defense that pretty much won't change until the offseason. And, for the record, Campbell looked much better out there than Brunell has looked: he eluded the defensive rush at times that you know Brunell would not have, and he made some great throws that we know Brunell is incapable of attempting.

I understand that opinion. The problem is, once you make the switch, you are basically telling the team that the playoffs are done with. Considering what I've seen so far from Campbell, it hasn't changed that opinion. While he has lots of potential, he has a ways to go to be a productive QB that can win games. If we had a chance to get to the playoffs this year, it was for Brunell to come around.

As for the defense, at the time I made my post (the Titans game) we still had people out due to injury. There was still the potential that they could come back and have an effect on the D, or that they could fix things in the bye. I agree now that there are probably some things that aren't going to be fixed until the offseason.

Maybe you should take your own advice at this point in the season and "Stop Whining."

Who's whining? I'm just making a point that now that Brunell is gone, a lot of fans who were focusing on that are now focusing on other things, which they should have been focusing on the whole time.

BTW, I fully support Gibbs' decision to go with Campbell at this point. I figured that Brunell had just one bad game in him after the bye before he got pulled. As I said before, I support whoever is the QB for the Washington Redskins.

Jason

Archived