Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Gibbs back for 2007

Joncevensen

I did a search and came up with nothing, sweet this is post 1000 for me

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Although we've heard rumors that Redskins coach Joe Gibbs will pack it in after the 2006 season, a league source tells us that the Hall of Fame head coach is openly talking about plans for the 2007 season.

The source believes, based on Gibbs' comments, that the coach will stick around for at least two more years.

In 2004, Gibbs surprisingly emerged from retirement after more than a decade out of the game. At the time, there were rumors that Gibbs' wife nudged him back into coaching so that he could hire their son, Coy, as an assistant coach. Mrs. Gibbs, as we'd heard it, wanted to get Coy out from behind the wheel of the Busch car he had been racing as part of Gibbs' highly-successful NASCAR venture.

In Gibbs' second year back with the team that he led to three Super Bowl wins, the 'Skins qualified for the playoffs and won on the road at Tampa before losing at Seattle. Combining last year's success with a near-annual flood of big-name free agents and the hiring of offensive guru Al Saunders, the expectations for 2006 were sky high.

Like most Redskins teams over the past seven seasons that were saddled with high hopes, the 2006 version of the franchise has failed. But Gibbs apparently won't be slinking away with a potentially tarnished legacy; look for him to stick around for at least one more season, probably two.

Possibly, more.

I think this is a good move by Gibbs. I have criticized him throughout the season for having an inability to provide a breath of life for this team, but one thing cannot be questioned: His commitment to the Redskins, Skins Nation, and the city of DC.

We just brought in all of these high profile free agents, and as I've said before, they will be heads of the redskins hydra for the next half a decade. Gibbs wants to win with them. And if Jason Campbell proves to be a legit starter, good things could be in store for next year.

I HOPED that he would be back next year just like I HOPED that the Sun would come up this morning and HOPED that when I hit the "Power" button on my computer that it would turn on.

theres a difference between hoping and knowing. To know something, it has to be a fact.

You KNOW the sun will rise, because it is a fact. But you HOPE gibbs will come back because it is still in question.

I would hope you already know this

What if Snyder fires Gibbs though? He fired Norv when the team was 7-6

Regardless of our situation Joe Gibbs is a legend...he could run for mayor of DC and probably win...lol Seriously Synder WILL NOT fire Gibbs....DC still loves him and Snyder is relativly a newcommer compared to Joe. If he fires Gibbs or act like he did when Norv was head coach there would be a public and probably economic backlash...for Synder and the Redskins. So he needs to do what he is doing leave Joe alone and let him do what he can. I suggesst that he give him a front office position have his run, because Joe should be a Redskins forever....That's my opinion. I just truly hope Joe leave coaching as a Redskin positively....He deserves it!

HAIL

My inside sources reveal that the plans Gibbs was speaking of are:

- Trade the 07 first round pick and a 08 second and thrid round pick to Buffalo for Nate Clements

- Give Denver our remaining 07 picks so we can have the scouting department focus on free agents

- Sign Drew Bledsoe to a 7 year deal

theres a difference between hoping and knowing. To know something, it has to be a fact.

You KNOW the sun will rise, because it is a fact. But you HOPE gibbs will come back because it is still in question.

I would hope you already know this

No, the Sun rising tomorrow is NOT a fact because it hasn't happened yet. We're just extremely confident that it WILL happen, so we say that we know it. The whole point of the post that you quoted was to give that sort of emphasis to how confident the Redskins faithful have been that he would return next year. In fact, by your logic, it's not a fact that he's returning at all until the '07 season is done, because maybe he'll leave, right?

To break it down: We've been very confident all along that Gibbs would return next year. We're qually confident that the Sun will rise tomorrow.

I hope that that simplifies things for you! :cheers:

Archived