Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

is the bye week bias against the Skins real or myth...

spidernat

This may need to be merged with another thread so feel free to merge it at your discretion.

I have heard a lot of people complain about the unfairness of the Redskins playing too many teams coming off their bye weeks. So I checked it out and here is what I came up with.

These 12 teams didn't have to face a team coming off a bye week all season:

Carolina

Philadelphia

Minnesota

Detroit

Arizona

Kansas City

Oakland

NY Jets

Jacksonville

Pittsburgh

Cincinnati

Indianapolis

Of the remaining teams (San Diego, Dallas, Tampa Bay and Houston) faced teams coming off their bye twice.

San Francisco had to do it twice also, as did Chicago, but they actually had to face each other coming off respective bye weeks so that second time is not the same since they both had weeks off. New Orleans also did it twice but the second time they too were coming off their bye week to face Baltimore.

Baltimore did it 3 times but again, they played New Orleans after they had enjoyed a week off as well.

Washington and Dallas were the only teams in the NFL to face 3 different opponents, twice within their division for Washington, after those teams had an extra week to heal and prepare.

So far, the teams coming off their bye week have a winning record of 14-10, not taking into account the two games that featured both teams after bye weeks. The tendency seems to be that most of the losses suffered at the hands of a rested team are lopsided.

In light of this, I have come to the conclusion that it is unfair and the NFL should make an effort to make the schedule as fair as possible to all teams. Making the Redskins play division foes coming off bye weeks is totally unfair and should never happen, especially in light of the fact that about a 1/3 of the teams never had to face a team coming off a bye week.

I guess the solution would be to schedule more games between teams coming off respective weeks off, probably just have the entire division take a week off at the same time and let them face one another the following week.

In spite of this, I believe Washington will come out on Sunday and do some damage to the Eagles. Any thoughts?

HTTR

Yeah I dont think the NFL has anything against the Redskins, the national media does but not the NFL.

I don't believe they NFL has a beef with Washington either but this shouldn't be done all things considered.

I don't think the media dislikes Washington either but that's just me.

I made a post about this a few days ago (more specifically I quoted what Jason La Confora had to say about NFL scheduling and byes). Your numbers are a bit off, so if you don't mind I'll quote a bit of what he has to say:

This season four teams play teams coming off of a bye week three times (Wash, Balt, SF, Tenn). Baltimore even had back-to-back weeks of facing rested teams. Four other teams (Dal, Hou, TB, SD) face teams off of a bye week twice while ten teams (Clev, NYG, St. L, Den, Mia, Sea, Buff, Chi, N.E., Tenn) face this challenge once. Only twice did teams coming off of byes play each other.

The remaining teams (NYJ, Pitt, Cinn, Indy, KC, Phi, Minn, GB, Det, Atl, Car, Ari, Oak, Jax) don't face bye week teams.

And to make matters worse...

I'm taking it one step deeper, however, as the Skins have to face all three of their opponents coming off of bye weeks on the road. Traveling to New York, Indy and Philly is tough enough under any circumstances; getting teams like that off the bye is even tougher.

I fail to see how anyone can say, "stop complaining" when it's clearly ludicrous. Why 14 teams can go without once playing a team coming off a bye, while 4 can do the same 3 times is beyond me.

You can find the quotes I used as well as the rest of JLC's blog at:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

stop complaining.. i think last year the chargers played 4 teams after the bye and came to the east coast on 6 different trips

I don't see it as complaining. Just an observation. I believe the Chargers played teams off their bye week 3 times last year. And the fact that they had to travel to the east coast is a geographical problem that cannot be helped. However, the scheduling could certainly be customized to even things out as far as the bye weeks is concerned.

I made a post about this a few days ago (more specifically I quoted what Jason La Confora had to say about NFL scheduling and byes). Your numbers are a bit off, so if you don't mind I'll quote a bit of what he has to say:

And to make matters worse...

I fail to see how anyone can say, "stop complaining" when it's clearly ludicrous. Why 14 teams can go without once playing a team coming off a bye, while 4 can do the same 3 times is beyond me.

You can find the quotes I used as well as the rest of JLC's blog at:

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

[/font]

I stand by what I wrote. Tennessee only had to do it once. San Francisco did it twice not 3 times but as I pointed out they played Chicago the second time after they too came off their bye week. I wrote that Baltimore did it 3 times but they too played one of them after they too had a bye week.

Also, Dallas did it 3 times. Perhaps JLC's research was a bit off.

if you consider youself a superbowl contender, it should not matter how many bye teams u play, where u play and when you play.. good teams dont worry about that

I agree with this point completely. I just thought it would be interesting to see how it all split up since it has been discussed here many times.

stop complaining.. i think last year the chargers played 4 teams after the bye and came to the east coast on 6 different trips

And that wasn't fair to them, and they missed the playoffs despite being a playoff caliber teeam.

I don't think anyone is saying this is a conspiracy, or that we need to change this to help The Redskins. The point is that it should be considered when scheduling.

I think the NFL when they are setting up their schedules and bye weeks are just drawing names ouot of hat. I don't think they are using any sophisticated software because if they did then the schedules would be more fair. Like us and the 3 bye weeks, but look at the raw deal the eagles have. Their last 4 games are against the redskins, cowpukes, and giants all on the road and then they come home to the other black QB who can run better than mcnabb while other teams have cupcake schedules to inflate their records.

OR - Maybe they are just making the NFC the hardest division, and especially NFC east since it was predicted all offseason that these 4 teams stood a chance at making the playoffs before the season started

And that wasn't fair to them, and they missed the playoffs despite being a playoff caliber teeam.

I don't think anyone is saying this is a conspiracy, or that we need to change this to help The Redskins. The point is that it should be considered when scheduling.

you just proved my point.. last year it was the chargers who were messed up because of the schedule

Archived