Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reid's message may be lost on Eagles

tr1

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061105/SPORTS/611050335

ROB MAADDI

AP Sports Writer

November 05, 2006

PHILADELPHIA — Andy Reid should be tougher on his players publicly, because whatever he's saying behind closed doors isn't working anymore.

Reid is maddeningly predictable when he speaks to reporters each time the Philadelphia Eagles lose: He always points the finger at himself.

"I've got to put them in a better position to make plays," is the common reply to most questions about his team's shortcomings.

At last check, Reid isn't the one throwing interceptions, dropping passes or missing tackles.

"Our football team was not ready to play," he said after Sunday's 13-6 loss to Jacksonville dropped the Eagles to 4-4. "That's completely my responsibility to get our football team to that position."

Part of the blame certainly belongs to Reid because his team played without heart, emotion or sense of urgency against the Jaguars. The head coach has to make sure his players are focused on the game instead of worrying about any outside distractions like vacation plans for their bye week.

Reid also deserves criticism for his stubborn refusal to run the ball, even in gusty wind conditions that make completing passes an adventure.

But Reid can't control physical mistakes on the field. How is it Reid's fault when Reggie Brown drops Donovan McNabb's pass on the first play? How is Reid's fault when McNabb holds the ball too long instead of running for a first down and takes a sack on fourth-and-5? How is it Reid's fault that the defensive tackles were manhandled by the offensive line and middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter was nowhere to be found against the run?

These are players with pedigree. They've been very successful over the years in Philadelphia and started this season 4-1, with each victory by a double-digit margin.

They didn't suddenly forget how to play. They're just finding different ways to lose every week against beatable teams.

In a 30-24 overtime loss to the New York Giants in Week 2, defensive end Trent Cole kicked a player and drew a 15-yard unsportsmanlike penalty to set up Jay Feely's tying, 35-yard field goal that forced the extra period. Reid didn't admonish Cole publicly for his stupid act. If he did, perhaps defensive end Jerome McDougle wouldn't have committed a similarly dumb mistake in a 23-21 loss at Tampa Bay five weeks later.

McDougle gave a struggling offense 30 extra yards during an important drive in the fourth quarter when he grabbed quarterback Bruce Gradkowski's facemask while making a sack and then kicked the yellow flag in disgust. The Buccaneers eventually got a field goal and later won it on Matt Bryant's 62-yarder as time expired.

Again, Reid didn't exactly lash out at the culprit.

This could be a trap.... Do not think for a second that the Eagles will not be up for this game . I still believe it's a winnable game for us but the Skins are going to have to match their intensity. To have a chance to win this game.

Take a look at Reid's record coming off bye weeks.

Skins fans should have a tremendous amount of worry ahead this week.

YAKUZA

YAKUZA

Coming off a bye is such an advantage for any team! The Eagles are just one of three teams coming off a bye that the Redskins must face this season :doh:

Coming off a bye is such an advantage for any team! The Eagles are just one of three teams coming off a bye that the Redskins must face this season :doh:

Footballoutsiders.com showed some stats that bye weeks are a bit overrated. They only make a difference when a good team comes off a bye week and faces a mediocre team.....the good team has historically wound up playing their best game of the year in that situation.

Reid has only lost 2 games after a bye week. One was last year when the team was already decimated by injuries. The other was in the Super Bowl.

I think Reid is a decent game planner, but Jim Johnson is terrific at gameplanning and the one thing I notice is how strong the Eagles defense plays after a bye week.

When the Cowboys schedule comes out, the first thing I always look at is to see if they are facing Philly after a bye week because I know that's probably going to be a loss in all likelihood.

YAKUZA

If a player needs to be criticized in public before correcting stupid mistakes they shouldn't be on the team in the first place. I don't know what purpose it serves to throw players under the bus...it just creates animosity.

Agreed, although pointing out numskull moves like Cole and McDougles wouldn't have been bad. It would emphasize this action as totally unacceptable. Tuna should do this with the TO celebration move this past weekend!

YAKUZA

I agree and that is one thing that does concern me but at the same time this is still a winnable game .. The Eagles are not a dominating team by any stretch of the imagination.

Reid has only lost 2 games after a bye week. One was last year when the team was already decimated by injuries. The other was in the Super Bowl.

Reid has not lost a game after the bye week in any regular season. This is his 8th season with the Eagles and he's 7-0 in post-bye games. He's also something like 88-18 after bye games, including last year's crawl to the finish line.

I'm not gonna have much time to post this week or next so I'll say it right now. If the Eagles can't win this game they ain't do anything the rest of the season. They need to come out of the gates and show the NFL they have rebounded. And kill any notion that there is any significance to the idea that washingotn will turn anything around this season. Absolutely pathetic if they can't win a game, at home, after a bye, against washington. Doesn't matter how you slice it.

I'm not gonna have much time to post this week or next so I'll say it right now. If the Eagles can't win this game they ain't do anything the rest of the season. They need to come out of the gates and show the NFL they have rebounded. And kill any notion that there is any significance to the idea that washingotn will turn anything around this season. Absolutely pathetic if they can't win a game, at home, after a bye, against washington. Doesn't matter how you slice it.

I agree 100%. Everyone is as healthy as they're going to get, they've had extra practice time, extra coaching preparation time, homefield, and they HAVE to have this game. I said it in the Stadium, but whoever loses, is done, IMO. More importantly, the Eagles have the Titans next week, and the Giants have the Bears this week than Jax next week. There is a good chance, if the Eagles win Sunday, that they could be tied for 1st place. MUST win.

This is correct. I'll be at the game and sick to my stomach if I have to hear "Hail to the Redskins" blaring in the parking lot. It could get ugly.

Archived