Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ryan Clark - The reason we are 2-5?

bedlamVR

Uh, Big Ben.
And our problem might not be Ryan Clark but the Big Boonell ... or injuries on defense ... or more likely a combination of things.
Exactly, and he made the calls in the 2ndary alignment, and his "void" was filled with an IMMENSE amount of cap space on one player, who is at best just as ineffective.
I pointed out in another thread yesterday that Ryan Clark's cap number is about $1.1 million and Archuleta's cap number is about $1.9 million. There's nothing immense about that:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3140800#post3140800

If Ryan Clark were still here, I guarantee people would be complaining about how we DIDN'T sign Archuleta.

There is more than one thing wrong with this team, especially on defense. Trying to pin it on one player is foolish IMO.

And our problem might not be Ryan Clark but the Big Boonell ... or injuries on defense ... or more likely a combination of things.

I pointed out in another thread yesterday that Ryan Clark's cap number is about $1.1 million and Archuleta's cap number is about $1.9 million. There's nothing immense about that:

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3140800#post3140800

If Ryan Clark were still here, I guarantee people would be complaining about how we DIDN'T sign Archuleta.

There is more than one thing wrong with this team, especially on defense. Trying to pin it on one player is foolish IMO.

You do realize that Archuleta's cap number will accelerate immensley next year - and as the Redskins use these tricks to fill their cap space - he affects players that could have been signed this year.

Seeing as the Steelers and Redskins structure their caps differently, to compare raw #s between the 2 is ridiculous.

You would have to adjust Ryan's #s into the Redskins style of structuring the cap, which would reduce his non bonus "salary" signifigantly, and therefore his cap $.

Nobody is "pinning" anything on one player. Bottom line is Archuleta has been a HUGE dissapointment, not only in his coverage, but the fact that Sean is being relied upon to align the defense, a role he at 23 years old is not ready for yet. He may never be the destructive force in the 2ndary he is while being the QB of the 2ndary, it might just not happen. That is fine, but right now he is directing traffic back there, especially archuleta and Wright, and it is a problem.

Holdman is 90% of the reason runs to the weakside have been dominating the skins, and at least half the reason TEs and RBs have had a field day against the skins.

It is the truth, in the same way that the Offense is limited to Brunell's inability to perform like a true starting NFL QB.

You can say this, "We're all in this together" stuff, and thats great everyone can always do a better job (except clinton portis he is always 100%) but if you don't point out the major weaknesses, the chain will always break.

You do realize that Archuleta's cap number will accelerate immensley next year - and as the Redskins use these tricks to fill their cap space - he affects players that could have been signed this year.
Actually, Archuleta's cap number will only go up by $100k next year. It will go up by $500k the next year but the big hit will be the year after that, when we will probably restructure or cut him.
Seeing as the Steelers and Redskins structure their caps differently, to compare raw #s between the 2 is ridiculous.
I don't really know how else to compare players other than their cap numbers. It's certainly more accurate than going by the contract numbers reported in the press. You're probably right that Clark's cap number would be smaller if he were a Redskin, but probably not significantly so. The fact remains that Archuleta is only countint $1.9 against our cap this year.
their defense held Oakland to 92 yards of offense.
And how did the Steelers lose the other 4 games?

Our biggest loss was A. Pierce. No doubt about it. He is very good in coverage as well as against the run. Lets see, with him marshall would be the wlb, a weakness on our team. He also wouldnt be busting up our run game, cause he wouldnt play for the giants, thus weakening their D. We need a GM in the worst way.

Exactly.If Ryan Clark is the reason that we're 2-5, what's the reason that the Steelers are 2-5?

Poor QB play? sounds familar, as sad as it is to see the Steelers lose :laugh: they are not getting very good play out of their QB for some reason. Clark is not the reason were 2-5, poor defensive play and to many injuries in the secondary. Our LB's are horrible at stopping the run, biting on runs or getting caught up in traffic. Why isn't Rocky playing more? seems like Lemar or Holdman can't get it done and we all know Marcus can't do it all.

Clark and Pierce are a big reason our defense sucks. What gets me is how they were core guys but they couldn't get the contracts they wanted but everyone else gets overpaid. It's no way anyone can tell me archuleta is 8 million dollars better than clark as far as signing bonus. As we now know clark helped taylor and marshall is no pierce.

Marshall also played outside linebacker while pierce was here, and was much better on blitzes and coverage than holdman, and pierce is better than him at stopping the run...ryan clark is not that good

Sorry guys, but Clark is not good, stop overrating the guy. He can't make any open field tackles nor can he cover, especially the deep ball. I watched him all last year and could never understand why you guys kept insisting he was a great player. If anything, he's just an admirable guy.

Seriously, give me some examples of how good he was last year and this year. I only saw him a few times this year, again not impressive. A game against Miami this year I saw him get trampled by the runner (I forgot who) twice and overplayed a screen pass that should've been stopped at the line of scrimmage but it turned out to 10+ yards.

And no, I'm not saying AA is any better, but he sure does help the run support, something Clark never will be cabable of doing. Oh, and one more thing.. I'm sure I'll get "Clark is a good hitter," yeah, that's after he gets beat on a play or comes from the blind side and unexpected..

So ST and the rest of the players were extremely pissed because we gave an "average" player away? Come on. He was a very good nickel and yes he could cover! Chemistry means a lot on and off the field also. And ST and RC were best friends.

First Smoot-then AP-then RC... the dominos fell.

Archived