Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I think i know why we are not getting INT's

in Greg Williams defensive scheme everyone is in the right place if they free lance they get benched..............

the QB's we faced are pretty good some were average but not stupid..........

unless a QB makes a silly mistake we wont get a INT

most INTS in the NFL come from guys taking chances*free lancing* to make the play

i see champ bailey takes chances he gets burned sometimes for it but he also gets INT......

so since our defense Isn't doing anything special

its time to leave the old scheme and let our playmakers be playmakers?

let them freelance and take a chance at the interception if they feel they can make a big play.....

since our defense cant get a quick fix so lets try to change it and get turnovers? by taking chances on plays......its the next best thing.....

Not even close. Im tryong to find the actual numbers. Brunell may not be winning us games but hes not forcing the ball in other than the bone heads throw into triple coverage.

Brunell has had quite a few hit the other team in the hands in the first 7 games. Even last year against the Boys on Moday night, he had one dropped right before he threw a TD that would have prevented the comeback at the end of the game.

Brunell has had quite a few hit the other team in the hands in the first 7 games. Even last year against the Boys on Moday night, he had one dropped right before he threw a TD that would have prevented the comeback at the end of the game.

Ive counted 5 so far. I think Carlos and Washington have dropped that many alone.

I wonder if we had gone 9-7 last year and missed the playoffs, if our offseason strategy would have been different and would Brunell still be starting?

Do any of you think that perhaps the players saw Gibbs handing the offensive reins to Al Saunders as a sign of weakness?

You're absolutely right, but I thought everyone already knew this. GW's defense is not made for an individual to make a good play. It's made to force incompletions, and leans heavily on a good pass rush to force those bad throws. Which is why we're in such bad shape on defense(all starters or not).

could it be because our DE's don't pressure the QB, and he has all day to throw...:whoknows:

That is what I think.

Plus our DBs actually need to be somewhat close to the WRs to get INTs. So far they have given far too much cushion. Hopefully a healthy Springs/Rogers tandem will change that.

The way I see it, we have to stop with the soft zone defense, play man to man and blitz every which way.

We are getting burnt regardless, so we may as well at least try to get more pressure and hopefully force turnovers.

That's right. The pass coverage and rush is crap. So it doesn't matter if we sit everyone back in coverage, the QB is still gonna take his time and pick us apart. I wish we had played Manning and the Colts like this. It would have been our best chance to get a turnover, or at the very least some pressure.

One thing that is missing this year as far as DB's are concerned is getting a hand on the ball before the receiver does in close coverage. I can't remember anybody knocking a ball down this season - besides Roger's dropped INT opportunity.

IT seems the CB's are giving a huge cushion off the Line of scrimmage and as a result get beat on slants over the middle or turn their hips the wrong way on posts and double moves.

I think it is a matter of individual performance rather than a problem in defensive scheme.

A lot of teams that are able to get decent pressure with their straight front 4 are the ones with more INT's. The more people you leave back the harder it is for a QB to make accurate passes. The Skins front 4 isn't good. So they bring an all out blitz, that isn't getting there, so the secondary gets burned for big plays.

Not being able to stop the run isn't helping either.

in Greg Williams defensive scheme everyone is in the right place if they free lance they get benched..............

the QB's we faced are pretty good some were average but not stupid..........

unless a QB makes a silly mistake we wont get a INT

most INTS in the NFL come from guys taking chances*free lancing* to make the play

i see champ bailey takes chances he gets burned sometimes for it but he also gets INT......

so since our defense Isn't doing anything special

its time to leave the old scheme and let our playmakers be playmakers?

let them freelance and take a chance at the interception if they feel they can make a big play.....

since our defense cant get a quick fix so lets try to change it and get turnovers? by taking chances on plays......its the next best thing.....

The use of freelance here warrants a we want Champ and Smoot thread...hopefully not.

I don't agree with your post at all. First of all, I hope you're not basing the free-lance = benching from Lavar. That aint how it went down. Gregg likes to play gap defenses, so if you're out of position then there will be a huge whole in the defense. More "free-lancing" isn't going to help. Our LB's have been caught over-pursuing all season long, our secondary has been horrible in coverage and people are missing open field tackles left and right. Gregg likes to disguise his coverages, but when the secondary is playing so poorly it doesn't really matter. Opposing QB's are getting enough time to find the soft spots in our zones and are picking apart our secondary in man-coverage.

Simple answer, we're not getting picks because our secondary has been terrible and our D-Line hasn't been getting any pressure.

Archived