Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!finally!!criticism!!

jmich001

Coaches finally say something about Brunell other than he is Super Smart or that he can make all of the throws...

"Brunell's habit of dropping into the pocket, scanning the field and then patting the football has disrupted the timing of the offense, coaches say, and forced him to throw to a safety-valve receiver, most often a running back."

Read this in the paper this morning and could not believe what I was reading. Then I read that Campbell is taking the snaps with the first team offense so far while Brunell is healing up.

I am not trying to look to hard into this, although things are starting to look up a bit to me. Looks like some accountability of players might be in the works for the next two weeks, which would be nice.

They need to critique EVERYONE though, not just one guy and make any changes needed to make this team play with some more passion. :2cents:

Coaches finally say something about Brunell other than he is Super Smart or that he can make all of the throws...

"Brunell's habit of dropping into the pocket, scanning the field and then patting the football has disrupted the timing of the offense, coaches say, and forced him to throw to a safety-valve receiver, most often a running back."

I dont like Brunell at all and hope for JC to come in.I'd like to see him in action with the 1st team. But the real problem is the O-Line. Chris S has looked like a blocking dummy all season. (oops i forgot he is one) I would hope we pickup a good o-lineman in the off season.

Hmmm.... which coaches?

Also, if this offense is based around nothing but timing, could it be that the reciever Brunell is supposed to throw to at a certain time is covered and that after that he doesn't have much time anymore to do anything besides check down? Now, sometimes he checks down a bit too early, but in most instances that I've noticed, he's had to.

dropping back in the pocket and scanning the field are bad habits?

How about we set up an appointment for Mark at TLC laser eye.

As Brunell gets older his eyesight is gone along with his arm. (Hey Mark I know a guy in Rockville who did Tiger Woods eyes) Maybe he will be able to see LLOYD open downfield! oops i forgot he's noodle arm.

dropping back in the pocket and scanning the field are bad habits?

Their saying that when he does that it disrupts the timing of the offense. Saunders offense is based on quick reads and throwing the ball as soon as you finish a drop 3,5,7 or whatever it is.

By sitting back it disrupts the timing of the breaks and disrupts when the receivers expect to have the ball thrown to them.

Its taken from the Post article "Assesing the Damage"

Who said this? Do they have any power in the coaching staff? I mean, its one thing if Saunders or Gibbs said this, but if somebody like Dale Linsey said it, then it doesn't really matter because he doesn't have the power to change anything.

But it is interesting to see somebody FINALLY criticize Brunell, even if it is the assistant to the position coach who's about to get fired.

the idea would be for a QB to step and read the defense first (ie, cover 2, 3, man, man flat zone, etc...) motion is often used for this...

when he drops back his head needs to be on a swivel...its in these seconds that really good QBs see who they are going to throw the ball to....

watch what peyton does when he sets up most of the time...he looks at a receiver other than the one he saw to throw to...this many times freezes the safety...and then he throws the other way...

i believe what the coaches are saying is brunell goes through this entire decisiion process once he is actually set up...and as he checks receivers he pats the ball...

the other thing i found funny the other day....one of the reasons Parcells gave for making the switch to Romo sits to pee was Bledsoe's tendency to focus on one receiver, and throw to them come hell or high water(Terry Glenn)....sound like someone we know?

65% of his passes or something like that target Moss....

Who said this? Do they have any power in the coaching staff? I mean, its one thing if Saunders or Gibbs said this, but if somebody like Dale Linsey said it, then it doesn't really matter because he doesn't have the power to change anything.

But it is interesting to see somebody FINALLY criticize Brunell, even if it is the assistant to the position coach who's about to get fired.

Come on man why would Dale Lindsey be interviewed about the offense? I dont even think he would comment if asked. No matter who said it, why would anyone be fired for telling the truth? It is the absolute truth and if other players are criticized by coaches through the media such as Archuletta and Carter then why in the world cant the super smart Brunell be criticized as well?

I wanna know who said this. Noone knows yet. None of us should take this to mean anything until we do know.

Does it really matter? Whoever said it, only explained what we have been seeing every week on the field. Do you really think that Saunders would call three consecutive three yard passes on third and 8 against the best offense in the league?

I dont like Brunell at all and hope for JC to come in.I'd like to see him in action with the 1st team. But the real problem is the O-Line. Chris S has looked like a blocking dummy all season. (oops i forgot he is one) I would hope we pickup a good o-lineman in the off season.

and jc is much more mobal making up for the o-line problems.

"....dropping OUT of the pocket..."

There you go, I feel better now. Carry on.

GC

Hmmm.... which coaches?

Also, if this offense is based around nothing but timing, could it be that the reciever Brunell is supposed to throw to at a certain time is covered and that after that he doesn't have much time anymore to do anything besides check down? Now, sometimes he checks down a bit too early, but in most instances that I've noticed, he's had to.

A good well rounded QB would know where every receiver is and would be able to scan the field for an open receiver. He should look at the go to receiver, but if he's covered should immediatley look for another receiver. We have enough all star receivers that can catch the ball. All though I love Santana to death, Brunell SHOULD NOT force the pass just to get it to him. Christ he should throw it to Cooley more often!!! If Brunell had a lot more mobility he would be able to get someone open and get that first down. The O-lline is average, at best, and doesn't allow him enough time to throw a good pass. Until we get a better O-line for the veteran, we need a faster more mobile QB taking the snaps. Campbell could be a potential threat to any defense being that he can also run the football. It's time for some change on both sides of the ball and Gibbs can't afford to play conservative anymore...and by all means lets beat the damn Cowboys one time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:helmet: :cheers: :helmet:

Hmmm.... which coaches?

NO! People that are at the games are seeing receivers wide open, and Brunell having plenty of time, but not seeing them, or deciding NOT to go to them. Case in point was Thrash being wide open on the first play of the second half against the Titans. There are many more examples, but this is a blatant one that EVERYONE saw, including the media.

I have yet to hear ANYONE say that receivers are being blanketed, it's just not the case. I also don't think the best O-Line in the world would be able to provide Brunell with the kind of protection he needs.

Archived