Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone play piano?

Slateman

Ok, when I was a young lad, my parents forced me to take piano. Didn't have much of a choice.

Ironically, the last year I took it, I started to like it. A lot. I was playing stuff I knew. But, my parents didn't want pay for lessons anymore, and I was tired of practicing an hour or more a day, so it was dropped. Lately, I've been starting to regret it, and I'm thinking about taking it up again.

The thing is, I don't have a piano to play on anymore. Moved out of the parents house and there is no way to fit a piano in my place, even if I could afford it.

Has anyone ever switched to keyboard? Anyone want to give me some recommendations? I don't need any fancy mixing stuff or 1001 different instruments. I just want something that will sound and feel close to piano. And I need at least 60 keys, if not the full 88 :D

Yea, I'm not greedy, am I :rolleyes::D

I bought a used yamaha Clavinova a few years ago. I taught myself to play as a kid. I'm not great, but I have a good ear and can play well enough to entertain myself. The clavinova's have a full-sized weighted keyboard, but aren't that much bigger than a pro-sized keyboard, and are portable. And depending on what you get, you have some minimal options as far as effects. I love mine. Just a thought.

I bought a used yamaha Clavinova a few years ago. I taught myself to play as a kid. I'm not great, but I have a good ear and can play well enough to entertain myself. The clavinova's have a full-sized weighted keyboard, but aren't that much bigger than a pro-sized keyboard, and are portable. And depending on what you get, you have some minimal options as far as effects. I love mine. Just a thought.

I'm the opposite. I can't play by ear at all. I either have to read the music or memorize it. Not sure why that is either . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-Clavinova-Electric-Piano_W0QQitemZ110045966779QQihZ001QQcategoryZ38091QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's one close to the one I have. You'd be surprised at how close to a 'real piano' these feel like. I learned to play the guitar and piano by ear....I can't sing worth a damn...too bad, because I love music. The only instrument I ever learned to play correctly and can read music for is the alto sax. And its not really much fun playing one by yourself in my experience.

Good luck.

I've been playing since I was 5, by choice. ;) Sure, there were a few times that I wanted to quit taking lessons when I was a kid, but my parents wouldn't let me. I was blessed with three great teachers. One who gave me a classical base to build on, the second expanded that even more, and the third taught me my love of jazz.

Anyway, IMO, nothing beats a real piano keyboard. I have a Yamaha studio upright in my living room, which really provides a full and rich sound for an upright. On the other hand, if money and space are limited, I agree with the guys who recommended Clavinovas. IMO, they have the most realistic piano keyboard "feel."

You're making a wise decision getting back into this, Slateman. I really enjoy banging on the keys after a long day at work. Kinda relaxes me and gets me ready to play husband and dad. :2cents:

we have a Roland KR-570. feels just like a piano should, sounds right, pressure sensative, full key, perfect for any piano needs. you can even record your songs onto a floppy disk directly from the piano (you can then edit it from your computer using a midi editor like voyetra)

oh, and it has practically every instrument ever created: many piano types, organs, ocarina, different brass, you can even split it so that half the keyboard is one instrument while the other half is another.

I'm actually thinking of buying a keyboard myself. I had a cheap Yamaha for a while, but I'm now looking to buy something with nice weighted keys, and maybe a few bells and whistles...

The Rolands might be what I'm looking for, but I'll probably be shopping around for another weekend or so.

I'm actually thinking of buying a keyboard myself. I had a cheap Yamaha for a while, but I'm now looking to buy something with nice weighted keys, and maybe a few bells and whistles...

The Rolands might be what I'm looking for, but I'll probably be shopping around for another weekend or so.

Roland is the way to go. i've been playing on one for YEARS and there is no key-shock (or whatever you wanna call it) going from that to a real piano.

Been playing since I was 4. With no room for a real piano and having gotten tired of crappy halfway-there keyboards, I now have a very nice Yamaha digital piano. Plays close enough to a real piano that you aren't going to have huge difficulties making the transisition on the fly.

I've heard very good things about Roland, too. Haven't played them as much as the Yamahas, but I'm very happy with what I have.

Don't skimp on the digital piano! You'll only be sorry later.

Been playing since I was 4. With no room for a real piano and having gotten tired of crappy halfway-there keyboards, I now have a very nice Yamaha digital piano. Plays close enough to a real piano that you aren't going to have huge difficulties making the transisition on the fly.

I've heard very good things about Roland, too. Haven't played them as much as the Yamahas, but I'm very happy with what I have.

Don't skimp on the digital piano! You'll only be sorry later.

Well there are two issues:

1. I don't have a lot of money as I am working part time till January (when I will become a jarhead :D ). I'm pretty limited to funds.

2. Whatever I get will have to be able to get moved alot and sit in my parents basement for a while..

Do you know the model numbers and such of what you bought?

My mother was a piano teacher so I really didn't have much choice. I have an upright in my living room and entertain at family get togethers but that's about it.

So was mine. Probably why my father was so insistant that I play. Its funny too cus that last year I finally got a teacher who let me play music I knew and liked. Stuff like Fur Elise, Moonlight Sonata, Linus and Lucy, Theme to Cheers, ect, ect.

Archived