Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is there any reason NOT to start Campbell?

Slateman

I'm sick of people spouting BS that playing a QB too early can impede their development.

The bottom line is if a QB will EVER be any good, he'll learn to play when he plays. If he gets shell shocked like people say Ramsey did, he was never going to be anything to begin with.

good QB's learn and show flashes from the beginning and show growth. You don't coddle rookies or they won't get experience. And if you're so worried a player won't be able to take hits or learn well e nough if hes thrown to the wolves, than he won't make it in the NFL and be any good anyway.

Alex Smith for the 49ers last year had one of the worst years a QG could ever have. Hes played decent this year and shows no signs of being "shell shocked".

David Carr was sacked more than any QB can even imagine. Did that destroy him? hell no, he was playing like a pro bowler for a while this season.

Good players will play good no matter the circumstances. Thats why you play the players, to see if they'll be any good or if they just can't cut it. you'll only delay the inevitable the more you wait to play players.

...and to those who point out all the other problems such as blocking and defense I think that's more reason to start Campbell now. This TEAM is obviously not as good as we thought and Brunell alone isn't gonna carry us to any victories. If we had a playoff caliber TEAM then yes maybe Brunell would be the best choice since he can manage a game; but, since the team as a whole isn't that good Campbell should be in there getting experience. Basically, its no longer about whether Brunell is playing good or not its just about preparing for the future.

I'm sick of people spouting BS that playing a QB too early can impede their development.

The bottom line is if a QB will EVER be any good, he'll learn to play when he plays. If he gets shell shocked like people say Ramsey did, he was never going to be anything to begin with.

...You don't coddle rookies or they won't get experience. And if you're so worried a player won't be able to take hits or learn well e nough if hes thrown to the wolves, than he won't make it in the NFL and be any good anyway...

Excuse me, but exactly how do you know this?

Alex Smith for the 49ers last year had one of the worst years a QG could ever have. Hes played decent this year and shows no signs of being "shell shocked".

David Carr was sacked more than any QB can even imagine. Did that destroy him? hell no, he was playing like a pro bowler for a while this season.

This is all true. For these two guys. But these are just two guys. That doesn't mean that your point holds for all guys.

The fact is that there are many who believe that some QB's have been ruined by playing them too early, and some of these people are NFL coaches.

Sorry.

Jason Campbell doesn't play defense.
Um, his job description doesn't include rushing the passer, stopping the run and covering receivers?

Not the point. This team is obviously going nowhere this year and if you can't admit that than you need to take your head out of the sand. Why should we continue to start Brunell and continue to lose game after game with him when (God willing) this is his last year. Put Campbell in now and let him get experience. Nobody expects Campbell to come in and magically lead us to the playoffs. He just needs to get into the game and get himself ready to lead us next year. The rest of the teams problems are irrelevent when considering the QB situation. I challenge anybody to give me on good reason why Brunell should continue to start. I guarantee you won't be able to come up with one.

Joe Montana wasn't drafted until the third round in 1979. Tom Brady wasn't selected by the Patriots until the sixth round in 2000 out of the University of Michigan.

Like Montana, Brady does not have a rifle arm, but is undeterred in that capacity, nonetheless.

Neither was highly regarded coming out of college by NFL scouts.

Like Montana, Brady thrives under pressure. He is at his best in the games that mean the most, the games that are on the line.

Brady follows in Montana's footsteps, being another of the youngest starting quarterbacks to win a Super Bowl.

Archived