Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is there any reason NOT to start Campbell?

Slateman

Ok first off, I'm not hating on Brunell. He's trying, but, let's face it, its a new system with new players and Brunell is an old man.

Do we have something to lose by not starting Campbell?

our upcoming schedule is this:

vs. Cowboys

@ Eagles

@ Buccaneers

vs. Panthers

vs. Falcons

vs. Eagles

@ Saints

@ Rams

vs. Giants

Of the remaining teams, I think we can eek out three wins. The offense is not clicking. The new system is struggling. The defense is no where near as good. And the team is pretty beat up. Portis's shoulder is gonna nag him all year. John Hall is done for the season. Springs is injured and probably will be for several more weeks. Finally, there is controversy between Portis and Saunders; between Gibbs and Saunders; and of course Portis, Cooley, Moss, Randel El, Loyd, and Duckett (they all want the ball).

That puts the Skins at 5-11. Not real good and certainly not good enough to get into the playoffs. With such a poor record, the Skins will have a high draft pick.

The Skins need to find out if Campbell can handle this offense. They need to find out if he is the future QB. If he is, than fantastic. If not, the Skins need to consider drafting another one with their 1st rounder.

Furthermore, I'd like to have Campbell somewhat comfortable with the system before next season. As much as he can learn from tape and sideline observation, he will only gain confidence and experience by actually playing a real game.

Gibbs have 2 weeks to get Campbell ready for Dallas. To be honest, that is the only game I care about now. I want them to beat Dallas, that would make the season tollerable. I think Brunell should be benched and Campbell should start. If he does decent, or even half way decent, he should keep the job. If its obvious he's not ready, or that Dallas is too tough, then they should give him the clipboard again.

Can anyone give me a reason NOT to play Campbell?

The Skins obviously don't have a ton of confidence in Campbell or they would have played him already -- at least in garbage time today.

But they NEED to play him this season because they're going to have a high draft pick and need to know if Campbell is the QB of the future or not.

Um, his job description doesn't include rushing the passer, stopping the run and covering receivers?

His job description does include leading the team to more than 1 meaningful TD (especially since that was aided by a terrible roughing the QB penalty).

The Skins obviously don't have a ton of confidence in Campbell or they would have played him already -- at least in garbage time today.

I agree with Aikman's assessment - Gibbs didn't take Brunell out because he didn't want people pontificating the meaning of the move for the next two weeks.

Gibbs is practically married to Brunell. Until he gets over his man crush, Brunell will be our starter.

Yes ... the drive Brunell put in 4th quarter ..

Well at least that's what Joe Gibbs will say ... :(:(:(

The Skins offense did NOTHING today. NOTHING. The first drive was a total gift: ARE gave them great starting position and they would have wasted it without the penalty. After that, nothing at all until the end of the 4th when the game was way out of reach and the Colts were already looking for their car keys.

i'm pro JC all day long,but i'll tell you what,i don't care who's the qb if we lose to the cowgirls i will not watch another game this season!!!!(unless JC is playing)as a matter of fact as long as we beat them i don't care if we win another game this season.

:dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck :dallasuck

There is no reason to keep Brunell in. Unless some miracle happens, the season is over. We need to figure out Saunders' system pronto, and we need to QB of the future to learn it.

Brunell, thank you for getting us a memorable win against Dallas and a playoff win. Now its time to shuffle off to retirement.

Archived