Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WE: Gibbs not affraid to change anything

Lavarleap56

It's real easy to surpass 2/3 of the QB's ratings when all your throw are dumps and screens. This rating is meaningless in as far as Brunell's play is concerned.

A bad defense is made much worse by poor offensive play. All of the 3 and outs Brunell/ the offense produces keeps the D out on the field. Eventually the D will fail, good or bad.

So, I guess we need to get rid of all them screen passes? They're to simple and too easy to defend! These screen passes involve the QB setting them up. Many of these screen passes has to do with Brunell setting them up once getting the ball from center. I just don't see Campbell being ready for that at all.

Everyone blaming the Defense and they deserve a large part of the blame. But Brunells numbers compared to '04 with a better defense are almost identical.

Now he has more weapons and the defense is not performing at the level we expect yet Brunells numbers are still bad. Why does everyone give him a free pass? Has it been so long in DC that we expect poor quarterback play? At some point of time he's got to step up and carry the team.

The defense carried this team for two years and we squandered those superb efforts why is unfair to expect the QB who is the leader of the team to carry them? Its not like theirs no talent around him. Yet he performs to the some low level of expectations.

I'm very confused.

So, I guess we need to get rid of all them screen passes? They're to simple and too easy to defend! These screen passes involve the QB setting them up. Many of these screen passes has to do with Brunell setting them up once getting the ball from center. I just don't see Campbell being ready for that at all.

Why do you think we call so many screens during a game? Because Brunell can't get the ball down field!

This team uses more screens in a game than any other team. If you can't see that Pro, I don't know what else I can say.

he is playing better than 2/3 of the QB's in the league!

No.

No he's not.

I know people like to use stats to prove their point, some people in ATL do it all the time, but it falls flat.

Watch the game. Brunell is not playing well. It is making this offense very easy to defend.

Yes, the defense sucks, but sometimes a dog can have ticks AND fleas.

This dog has both.

Everyone blaming the Defense and they deserve a large part of the blame. But Brunells numbers compared to '04 with a better defense are almost identical.

Now he has more weapons and the defense is not performing at the level we expect yet Brunells numbers are still bad. Why does everyone give him a free pass? Has it been so long in DC that we expect poor quarterback play? At some point of time he's got to step up and carry the team.

The defense carried this team for two years and we squandered those superb efforts why is unfair to expect the QB who is the leader of the team to carry them? Its not like theirs no talent around him. Yet he performs to the some low level of expectations.

I'm very confused.

I'm confused at those bold points. Most people sound like they're just blaming Brunell.

Second, no one is giving Brunell a free pass. Just refer to the thread about Brunell being D.Cs "whipping boy"

We don't get rid of the screen passes, but we also have to have deep passes, and passes to other WR's beside Moss. This loosens the defense up and causes them to have to defend other possibilities. This helps the running game, screens, etc. Utlimately this helps the defense because then the D is not on the field as much (unless our O was a quick strike O, which I never see occurring). Can Campbell handle this? Probably not but Brunell is a lost cause at this point. I think if we had stuck with Ramsey last year he could have *probably* turned the corner. But he was yanked after one half.

I'm confused at those bold points. Most people sound like they're just blaming Brunell.

Second, no one is giving Brunell a free pass. Just refer to the thread about Brunell being D.Cs "whipping boy"

The defense deserves to get blamed. But you also have to look at the offense.

If you can't sustain drives and constantly go 3 and out then your not helping the D. Brunell may get an unfair amount of the blame, but that comes with position he plays.

What I dont understand and I may have phrased it wrong is how some folks just exonerate him, or say he's not as bad is '04. He actually is very close to 04 form. The problem we have now is that the D is not as good as it was for the past two years.

It's due to injuries and its due to personal but it's also due to the offenses inability to sustain drive. :2cents:

I'm very disappointed in Coach Gibbs, not because he continues to play Brunell, but because he put all his faith in him this year. It's clear that Brunell is, at the very least, inconsistent. Gibbs knows that won't help the Skins be successful. How could he go into the season counting on him to lead this team to a SB?

What we don't know is whether Campbell can play. If he can't, that's another huge front office mistake. It flies in the face of their stated strategy of signing young, proven veterans. I don't mind that strategy, but if this year's crop is as marginal as they seem, how could they miss so freakin badly? Who evaluated these guys? And why did they stray from that plan with the most important position on the team?

I don't think you ever give up the season but I honestly think JC gives us the better chance to win NOW. Because of his height (he can see over the line) and arm defenses have to respect deep down the middle of the field. This keeps our outside guys from being double covered. Also, I'm pretty sure JC can throw dump offs and screens ok just like MB! Let's try out a QB that can make all the NFL throws please!

Brunell used to be a damned good quarterback, but at this stage he's a poor man's Jake Plummer. I gurantee you there's not one other team that Brunell could start on in the NFL. They either have a veteran QB that can make the throws or a talented youn guy w/ promise. We only have one of those and that's not Brunell.

The one thing that I do agree with that some of you have pointed out is that it is not all MB's fault. The D is struggling right now. Some of it because of injuries, some because of player ability. Certain guys are just not that good (See Holdman, Wright, Rumph, etc...) and should not be playing in a full time capacity.

The kicking game is also suffering. Hall and more so Frost, have been terrible. This is a major deficiency in the Skins game play ability.

They need to get Healthy/better play or players, in these areas as well, if they expect play to improve.

What I dont understand and I may have phrased it wrong is how some folks just exonerate him, or say he's not as bad is '04. He actually is very close to 04 form. The problem we have now is that the D is not as good as it was for the past two years.

I totally disagree with you. Mark Brunell isn't looking that bad as of yet. Just look at the numbers for the 2004 season. He had a 63.9 rating throwing just 7 TDs and 6 ints. In the 9 games he played, he had 4 games with a completion % under 50, not one game over 60%, basically his percentage was low all around.

Yes, his numbers are similar (even though he only has 6 turnovers to 2004's [six games through] 9) (fumbles are 6 to 3 this season), but it got worse in 2004 whereas we don't really know what he'll do this season.

It's apparent that Joe sees no problem with Brunell not being able to throw the ball with any kind of accuracy down field and missing out on multiple opportunities to hit wide open receivers on a consistent basis.

I know there are other factors involved in the current demise of this team but to totally ignore the sub par performance of your QB is being just plain stubborn. The only solution to this (short term) is for the rest of the offense to click like a fine tuned watch, to cover/hide the ineptness of Brunell. That's the only way Brunell can last through the season and maybe that's what Joe Gibbs is banking on, but I just don't see it happening.

There's going to come a time when the receivers will start (if not already) to complain and possibly go public on this issue. You can already hear the frustration in their voices during locker room interviews. Right now this team is holding together as a team and a lot of that has to do with Joe Gibbs, but if he lets this problem fester any longer, this team will come apart faster than a strip tease artist at a bachelors party.

:doh: If JG continues to "do what's 'BEST' for MB -- instead of The Washington Redskins", we (as Fans) SHOULD show our displeasure by NOT attending Home Games wherein MB is the QB! Period. WHY should we PAY to see such folly?!? We can still be Fans - AT HOME!

:point2sky I, a NATIVE Washingtonian (born & raised), now residing in New Jersey, FAITHFULLY watch & record EVERY SINGLE Redskins Game (via DirecTV - NFL Sunday Ticket), Post Game (via DirecTV - Comcast SportsNet)! My support & LOVE of the Redskins is UNCEASING, UNDENIABLE, LIFELONG, and UNWAVERING!

:mad: But, I TOTALLY DISAGREE with JG's 'man-love' for MB - who IS NOT suited for THIS Offense (or, ANY NFL Offense)... IMHO!!!

I totally disagree with you. Mark Brunell isn't looking that bad as of yet. Just look at the numbers for the 2004 season. He had a 63.9 rating throwing just 7 TDs and 6 ints. In the 9 games he played, he had 4 games with a completion % under 50, not one game over 60%, basically his percentage was low all around.

Yes, his numbers are similar (even though he only has 6 turnovers to 2004's [six games through] 9) (fumbles are 6 to 3 this season), but it got worse in 2004 whereas we don't really know what he'll do this season.

2006 First 6 Games

Opp Results Att/Comp Pct. Yds TD/Int

Minn L 28/17 60.7 163 0/0

Dal L 33/18 54.5 197 0/1

Hou W 27/24 88.9 261 1/0

Jac W 30/18 60.0 329 3/1

Nyg L 22/12 54.5 109 0/0

Ten L 30/16 53.3 180 1/1

2/4 170/105 62.1 1239 5/3

2004 6 Games

Opp Results Att/Comp Pct. Yds TD/Int

Tb W 24/13 54.2 125 0/0

Nyg L 18/10 55.6 92 1/1

Dal L 43/25 58.1 325 2/0

Cle L 32/17 53.1 192 0/0

Bal L 29/13 44.8 83 1/1

Chi W 22/8 36.4 95 1/1

2/4 168/86 50.4 912 5/3

His numbers are shockingly similiar.

We'll just agree to disagree my friend.

:cheers: Go Skins!

2006 First 6 Games

His numbers are shockingly similiar.

We'll just agree to disagree my friend.

:cheers: Go Skins!

Oh c'mon! How can you disagree with those same numbers adding to a rating of 86.4 EDIT: 86.9(2006) compared to a 69.8 (2004). That's not similar!

I'm confused as to how one equates playing Campbell to "giving up on the season" while equating playing Brunell with doing the opposite.

Because Jason Cambell is inexperienced and a seasoned veteren is what the offense needs. Remember What happened to Ramsey his first year. Do want Jason Cambell to take the same kind of abuse.

Defense giving up big plays isn't on Mark Brunell , Recievers not getting open is not on Brunell, the not calling enough running plays to keep the defense guessing isn't his fault. so stop calling for his head. Al Saunders screwed up with play calling...Greg williams screwed up calling Defensive schemes to stop Tenn.

Joe needs to get in there and change and shake up some things. on offense Why not have Portis, Cooley and Moss spread out as recievers and catch Portis or Cooley for a deep route. Why not spread out as a Wide out and run the call to Betts. Confuse the Defense so they can't key on one or two guys.

Protection, Protection, Protection.....Run the ball sucessfully by an even mix. run the ball on first down on one series...after converting pass on the next first down. with that one go deep.

I see the Skins as being too prodictable.... confuse the D and change things up ....If this play book is 700 pages i only see the first three. Get a clue. most of our recievers and running backs are also great recievers and runners, take advantage.

Defense is very very simple. If the front four do not get pressure on the QB DB's will get burned all day. Even if the greatest corner Darrell green was playing. They need to make thier money!!!

"Because Jason Cambell is inexperienced and a seasoned veteren is what the offense needs."

the problem with that argument ought to be self evident. we have a "seasoned" vet running things and it hasn't made a dang difference. IT'S VERY CLEARLY NOT A DIFFERENCE MAKER. that argument is out the window.

Archived