Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WE: Gibbs not affraid to change anything

Lavarleap56

http://www.examiner.com/a-347460~Gibbs__not_afraid_to_change_anything_.html

John Keim, The Examiner

Oct 17, 2006 5:00 AM (1 day ago)

Current rank: # 184 of 5,964 articles

Ashburn - The crowd let their feelings known, some chanting for Jason Campbell; others opting simply to boo Mark Brunell. Others around the league have their opinions, too, agreeing with those wanting change.

And none of that matters to Joe Gibbs.

He’s sticking by Mark Brunell.

“Certainly, right now, changing Mark is not the answer,” Gibbs said. “If I felt it was one person, I would certainly change that person. ... I’m not afraid to change anything.”

Brunell has completed 62.1 percent of his passes for 1,239 yards, five touchdowns and three interceptions. But many passes have been thrown horizontally.

“I saw that in the playoffs,” one NFC general manager said. “He couldn’t get the ball downfield. As the season wears on, his arm wears out.”

In the 25-22 loss to Tennessee on Sunday, Brunell showed the good and bad. In the first half, he completed 11 of 14 passes — the majority again were screens and dumpoffs — for 103 yards and a touchdown. In the second half, he was five of 16 for 77 yards and an interception.

Against the Titans, Brunell threw 18 passes at receivers — and 15 were thrown to Santana Moss, even when surrounded by multiple defenders. At least three times Brunell threw to him when two or more defenders were close to Moss.

“We want the ball to be more spread out than it was,” receiver Antwaan Randle El said. “It was heavy-loaded to Santana. We understand there will be games like that. But that’s a bit extreme.”

Two plays stood out:

» On the first play of the second half, Brunell underthrew a double-teamed Moss; but an illegal contact penalty was called. However, receiver James Thrash, who started on the same side as Moss, had broken open deep over the middle a couple seconds before the pass was thrown. No defender was near him. Brunell never looked his way.

» Brunell threw a deep ball intended for Moss on the Redskins’ last play from scrimmage. Five Titans could be seen near the ball; it was intercepted.

“A foolish throw,” Brunell said.

Brunell did throw a touchdown pass to Chris Cooley in part by freezing the safety. That play also showed how Moss can help without catching the ball because the other safety rolled his way, leaving Cooley open. The same thing could have happened to Thrash had he been spotted.

“I’m a playmaker, I don’t say, ‘Don’t get me the ball,’” Moss said. “It’s all how it presents itself. If it’s open, go at that guy.”

Week 7 notes

» The Redskins added a corner Monday — and they might have lost one, albeit temporarily.

Washington signed veteran defensive back Troy Vincent, who was released by Buffalo with an injury settlement last week. But starting corner Carlos Rogers might miss Sunday’s game at Indianapolis after breaking his thumb against Tennessee on Sunday.

Rogers had three screws inserted in his thumb Monday. He’s likely day to day. If Rogers plays, he would need to wear a protective cast.

Vincent played two seasons in Buffalo with current Redskins secondary/corners coach Jerry Gray, who was his defensive coordinator.

Vincent earned five Pro Bowls as a corner with Philadelphia, but played safety in Buffalo. Gray called him a “player-coach.”

He’ll likely play safety in Washington, but could get looks as a nickel corner. The 6-foot-3, 200-pound Vincent tied for the team lead in interceptions with four.

“Obviously I’m not the answer,” said Vincent, who played in the first game then went on injured reserve with a hamstring injury, “but I do bring value.”

Also, corner Shawn Springs said Monday he’s not ready for full-time duty after missing the first five games.The Redskins released safety Curry Burns.

» Defensive tackles Cornelius Griffin (hip) and Joe Salave’a (calf) will both try to practice Wednesday, with the hope of playing against the Colts. Both missed Sunday as the Titans rushed for 194 yards.

“Those are key guys,” Redskins coach Joe Gibbs said. “It would help us to get them back.”

Dammit Joe. It's not about "it" (losing) being the fault of one person or not. It's the fact that Brunell is NOT anyones answer at QB now or for the future.

The excuse that "he gives us the best chance to win" is moot because * NEWS FLASH *, we're not and will not be winning very much this year.

It's apparent that Joe sees no problem with Brunell not being able to throw the ball with any kind of accuracy down field and missing out on multiple opportunities to hit wide open receivers on a consistent basis.

I know there are other factors involved in the current demise of this team but to totally ignore the sub par performance of your QB is being just plain stubborn. The only solution to this (short term) is for the rest of the offense to click like a fine tuned watch, to cover/hide the ineptness of Brunell. That's the only way Brunell can last through the season and maybe that's what Joe Gibbs is banking on, but I just don't see it happening.

There's going to come a time when the receivers will start (if not already) to complain and possibly go public on this issue. You can already hear the frustration in their voices during locker room interviews. Right now this team is holding together as a team and a lot of that has to do with Joe Gibbs, but if he lets this problem fester any longer, this team will come apart faster than a strip tease artist at a bachelors party.

Dammit Joe. It's not about "it" (losing) being the fault of one person or not. It's the fact that Brunell is NOT anyones answer at QB now or for the future.

The excuse that "he gives us the best chance to win" is moot because * NEWS FLASH *, we're not and will not be winning very much this year.

So let me get this straight. Gibbs is supposed to give up on the season because some fans have already done so and the spoiled fans can get their wish and see their new toy play(Campbell).:doh:

Not afraid to change anything? The Redskins are losing. Everything should be looked at. It starts with the leader of the offense, Mark Brunell. If you are unable to bring yourself to address that reality then you are going to be unable to address other issues and it is going to be a long season.

So let me get this straight. Gibbs is supposed to give up on the season because some fans have already done so and the spoiled fans can get their wish and see their new toy play(Campbell).:doh:

I'm confused as to how one equates playing Campbell to "giving up on the season" while equating playing Brunell with doing the opposite.

I'm confused as to how one equates playing Campbell to "giving up on the season" while equating playing Brunell with doing the opposite.

It's real simple! Neither one can play DB or on the D line and get a sack! Why is all the blame being thrown on Brunell when it's obvious that there are more serious issues like Penalties and Defense.

Brunell is the 11th rated passer in passing rating! Translation, he is playing better than 2/3 of the QB's in the league! You are throwing away the season if your plan is to bench a QB playing this well regardless of what the team record is.

If we win its going to be like last year. We will win inspite of Brunnell not because of anything he does or doesnt do. If everyone will wakeup and realize this they would understand a change may not be so bad.

And what if we try it and it doesnt work? Would Brunnell not be on the team anymore? Could he not come back in? What if we used the same plan Miami used in 82 (I think) where they had David Woodley starting and Don Strock coming in if Woodley got into a little trouble? It would certainly keep Brunnell healthier throughout the season.

Anything is better that what we are doing!

I agree. This is the only change we can make at this point to hopefully get us better down the road. The other things will have to wait until draft day or free agency...

"So let me get this straight. Gibbs is supposed to give up on the season because some fans have already done so and the spoiled fans can get their wish and see their new toy play(Campbell)."

you got it all wrong bubba. The selfish/myopic fans should get thier way and force the rest of us to watch a team led by a QB who should be teaching and not playing general to spectacular levels of non-performance.

fine. let's put everyhting on hold until next year....so we can endure the same goat rope!

It's real simple! Neither one can play DB or on the D line and get a sack! Why is all the blame being thrown on Brunell when it's obvious that there are more serious issues like Penalties and Defense.

Brunell is the 11th rated passer in passing rating! Translation, he is playing better than 2/3 of the QB's in the league! You are throwing away the season if your plan is to bench a QB playing this well regardless of what the team record is.

It's real easy to surpass 2/3 of the QB's ratings when all your throw are dumps and screens. This rating is meaningless in as far as Brunell's play is concerned.

A bad defense is made much worse by poor offensive play. All of the 3 and outs Brunell/ the offense produces keeps the D out on the field. Eventually the D will fail, good or bad.

No, 2004 was far worse.

Jason

I'm going to respectfully disagree with that statement.

2006 First 6 Games

Opp Results Att/Comp Pct. Yds TD/Int

Minn L 28/17 60.7 163 0/0

Dal L 33/18 54.5 197 0/1

Hou W 27/24 88.9 261 1/0

Jac W 30/18 60.0 329 3/1

Nyg L 22/12 54.5 109 0/0

Ten L 30/16 53.3 180 1/1

2/4 170/105 62.1 1239 5/3

2004 6 Games

Opp Results Att/Comp Pct. Yds TD/Int

Tb W 24/13 54.2 125 0/0

Nyg L 18/10 55.6 92 1/1

Dal L 43/25 58.1 325 2/0

Cle L 32/17 53.1 192 0/0

Bal L 29/13 44.8 83 1/1

Chi W 22/8 36.4 95 1/1

2/4 168/86 50.4 912 5/3

It doesn't look that far off....

Jason ... I don't see how you can say 2004 was far worse ... then we had Patrick in the wings and there was hope he would be played. Now ... there is no hope that any changes are in the offing ... Gibbs is in public denial which I attribute to the power struggle between him and Saunders (who wants badly to replace Brunell with Colllins). It cannot get any worse than it is now IMO ... the Skins are at the very bottom with no light in the tunnel.

Pro

Yes, we have problems on the defense and I think we can all agree on that but the problem on offense is Brunell. His so called high ranking that you seem to regard so highly, is from the short passes and screens. He can't get the ball down field! He can't see open receivers! He's always fixated on one receiver! The only thing he's consistent at is over throws, under throws and throwing out of bounds.

If our offense can start playing like a fined tuned piano, then maybe this will hide Brunells ineptness and give us a chance for the remainder of this season. It's not going to come down to how good Brunell plays, it's going to come down to how much Saunders can limit his having to use Brunell in passing situations and the rest of the offense being able to cover for him.

The only comment I have on Gibb's statement is "Prove It". I know the man is a great leader and coach; that being said, he should know how to fix things.

Honestly, the manner in which our team is performing bothers me more than the results.

HTTR!!!

So you think Gibbs is afraid of change? How do you explain Al Saunders coming in? There are so many examples I don't even need to list them.

Archived