Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Need To Revamp Defensive Line Rotation

bulldog

My take on changes we can make for this unit to be more effective as we go forward:

1. Return Philip Daniels to his old DE slot. He will immediately solidify the run on that side (where we have been giving up big plays) and is a better rusher from his natural position.

2. Start Renaldo Wynn at the other DE slot and platoon him with Demetric Evans to keep them both fresh. You are going to get a consistent effort from Wynn and Evans upgrades the pressure from that side on passing downs.

3. Put Andre Carter on the bench and make him earn an increased role. Carter will never be a run stopper and if he is unable to pressure the backfield he is useless on the field. From what Williams said earlier Carter has to 'learn how' to play DE again and feel comfortable in that role. Well, it appears he still has a lot of work to do and I am not at all sure that playing him full-time as a starter is necessarily the way to increase his level of confidence and level of play. It seems to me a player struggling this much with himself needs to start showing in practice that he is ready to increase his reps week to week as the situation warrants. When he shows he is able to be effective in the role originally envisioned there is no reason he cannot come in and sub as a rush end on long passing downs. I don't think Carter will ever be a full-timer based on what I have seen so far.

4. At defensive tackle we simply have to get Griffin and Salavea healthy. Both have seemingly been on the injury report every week since the Cincinnati preseason game. Golston has played well in spots as a raw rookie out there learning the NFL game, but he was blocked down on a few plays in that Giants game that Joe Salavea would have read and blown up at the line of scrimmage.

Gregg Williams has preached that guys don't get spots until they prove they are ready. That's ostensibly the reason we still have Warrick Holdman starting at weakside linebacker with McIntosh on the bench, despite very few plays being made by the WLB.

I think it's about time that Williams takes that approach with Carter.

Start him out with 6-10 reps as a rush end and go from there.

But let's not invest 60 plays a game in a guy who clearly doesn't have the self-confidence right now to be successful.

bulldog, i always like to reply to your topics because you put so much effort into your writing and they are always very good topics to think and discuss about..

i defintely agree with all our points but i defintely believe the bye week may bring alot of changes like the insertion of rocky into more PT and carters role being decreased.. i thikn the rotation of Dt has to be more stable and that golston and montgomery need to inserted into the gameplan a bit more

This is the kind of post that made you famous, bd. Kudos.

Not much to add other than I agree with you. Again, there seems to be misplaced loyalty to certain guys who haven't even done anything with this team. meanwhile, the guys who bust their butts AND produce are overlooked or have to play twice as hard as another guy to get a fair shot.

This is the kind of post that made you famous, bd. Kudos.

Not much to add other than I agree with you. Again, there seems to be misplaced loyalty to certain guys who haven't even done anything with this team. meanwhile, the guys who bust their butts AND produce are overlooked or have to play twice as hard as another guy to get a fair shot.

Ahhhh yes, can't add to the topic so we must bash the coaching staff or Brunell. You are a one trick pony Ghost. Simple and predictable.

I think your DE rotation makes sense. - Wynn is still a good player who can play inside or end, and Evans certainly makes the most of his playing time as well.

I think Williams is already rotating the DT's pretty regularly.

I wonder if also moving Carter around some would be of any benefit, as well as sometimes disguising a formation that looks like we're going to use him as a LB, then blitz him.

my thoughts with Carter are to gradually increase his time from a base of 6-10 key snaps a game where he can best have an impact. that seems to me the best way for him to gain confidence and become comfortable here. he definitely is feeling the pressure of signing the big contract, he admitted in the preseason the scrutiny had been intense since his arrival in town and he felt a need to prove his worth.

Ahhhh yes, can't add to the topic so we must bash the coaching staff or Brunell. You are a one trick pony Ghost. Simple and predictable.

:laugh: So pointing out a pattern that might explain why the original poster would even feel the need to make this thread topic is 'bashing?' But a post filled with suggestions (thus implyin the coaching staff is doing something that is hurting the team) is not 'bashing?'

I don't even know you for anything other than being negative (persona-wise) and formerly having a bag-head avatar, which I'm pretty sure reflected an overall negative attitude about the team. I'm not quite sure where you've demonstrated the credentials to lecture someone else about their posting habits.

:laugh: So pointing out a pattern that might explain why the original poster would even feel the need to make this thread topic is 'bashing?' But a post filled with suggestions (thus implyin the coaching staff is doing something that is hurting the team) is not 'bashing?'

I don't even know you for anything other than being negative (persona-wise) and formerly having a bag-head avatar, which I'm pretty sure reflected an overall negative attitude about the team. I'm not quite sure where you've demonstrated the credentials to lecture someone else about their posting habits.

No, Bulldog was trying to be constructive.

You, on the other hand, were towing your agenda. You know, just showing some faith in your "abilities and perceptions."

I don't know maybe they should change some things. The line generates no pass rush! I mean what happened to Andre Carter, I think the guy has been are biggest FA bust by far this year.

Hey skinfan2k whats up with the Giants Logo you have their.

Carter hasn't been the pass rusher hoped for.

I think skinfan2K said he lost a bet...

I think you have to isolate a guy's strengths and build on them. Carter right now is struggling in a full-time role so why not take the pressure off a bit and have him concentrate on re-gaining his edge as a rusher?

Then once you see him get more comfortable in that role then you increase his reps and put him in more challenging situations.

But I don't think leaving a guy out there to be a target is necessarily the answer. If anything, he will press more and you will end up with a frustrated player that the fans turn on. Then things will get really ugly.

i think daniels is in his natural position. or maybe its wynn. :whoknows:

i'd bench holdman and carter. and rotate guys at their old positions (including them).

i would rotate carter around the line and stand him up as a LB to vary his matchups. i would bring i guys like 4 mccune and mcintosh as DEs and rush LBs to vary matchups also. we are becoming too static with the DB and #53 blitzes. as for the tackles, i would definately put in a rotation including wynn, golston, and mont to help griffin and sally stay fresh.

i think daniels is in his natural position. or maybe its wynn. :whoknows:

i'd bench holdman and carter. and rotate guys at their old positions (including them).

i would rotate carter around the line and stand him up as a LB to vary his matchups. i would bring i guys like 4 mccune and mcintosh as DEs and rush LBs to vary matchups also. we are becoming too static with the DB and #53 blitzes. as for the tackles, i would definately put in a rotation including wynn, golston, and mont to help griffin and sally stay fresh.

this is kinda what I was talking about - put Carter in the WLB spot at times and blitz him. - With his athleticism, I think he would do well at that.

In fact I thought because he played both DE and LB before that Williams would use him in more creative ways

I don't understand why people don't believe we have the best options on the field. You think G-Williams will start Carter at DE just because he was a high priced free agent? Come on people!! Carter has been expected to be a Julius Peppers-like pass rusher for us when he's not. He's a guy moving back to the DE position so it will take him time to develop and progress. If you look at the film he's actually the only guy who is even " close " to the QB consistantly. Daniels gets a pass from us because of the four week stretch he put together last year late in the season Before those games he was a nonfactor at DE. Wynn is a good team player and leader but is not the answer at DE how many sacks did he have last year?? RIgh....

Now I would consider switching Daniles and Carter to see how they adjust and affect the pass rush on different sides, but I'm sure they've tried this in practice already!!

Carter plays the run fine, so to draw conclusions off of the giants game where EVERYONE played bad is very simple minded thinking. I honestly think the problem is all the way accross the board, and when that is the case you have to look at the coach. Greg Blache!!

My take on changes we can make for this unit to be more effective as we go forward:

1. Return Philip Daniels to his old DE slot. He will immediately solidify the run on that side (where we have been giving up big plays) and is a better rusher from his natural position.

2. Start Renaldo Wynn at the other DE slot and platoon him with Demetric Evans to keep them both fresh. You are going to get a consistent effort from Wynn and Evans upgrades the pressure from that side on passing downs.

Daniels has been even more ineffective as a pass rusher than andre carter, this would be dumb.while daniels is better at stuffing the run,Carter has been decent against the run. the giants ran at the left side because warrick holdman can't shed a block to save his life. watching the giants game I saw #57 getting driven around on every running play.Holdman's play was unacceptable,and if he plays like that again McIntosh should be given some consideration.

4. At defensive tackle we simply have to get Griffin and Salavea healthy. Both have seemingly been on the injury report every week since the Cincinnati preseason game. Golston has played well in spots as a raw rookie out there learning the NFL game, but he was blocked down on a few plays in that Giants game that Joe Salavea would have read and blown up at the line of scrimmage.

Gregg Williams has preached that guys don't get spots until they prove they are ready. That's ostensibly the reason we still have Warrick Holdman starting at weakside linebacker with McIntosh on the bench, despite very few plays being made by the WLB.

I think it's about time that Williams takes that approach with Carter.

Start him out with 6-10 reps as a rush end and go from there.

But let's not invest 60 plays a game in a guy who clearly doesn't have the self-confidence right now to be successful.

when it comes to pass rushing sadly carter has been the best guy from the D-line,and although demetric evans has 2 sacks, 1 was just from hustle(and the other guys getting good push), not pass rushing.still good though

Archived