Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Troy Vincent officially released/could he help? MERGED

TC

I think he has to clear waivers, there is a chance someone else might claim him, thus taking on his current contract. What is it 48 hours? Since the waiver system gives the teams with losing records the first shot at him, he may end up somewhere else before we even have a chance to sign him.

Have you checked ours lately?

I am all for this move I think he is a Gibbs type player team first, I know Jerry Gray likes his abilities as he was very productive for him last year in Buffalo. I believe he gives us flexiblity which is GW's favorite characteristic in his players. He could be used in the Pierson role nickel corner/FS also play FS in passing situations and let Sean Taylor cover the slot WR putting him close to the box also closer to the QB for corner blitz's. I am all about this move sign him to a 2 year contract next year him Pierson, are our backup safties/ nickel backs draft a young CB.

I would have taken him in his prime but Troy is kind of up there in age he's what 36? no thanks.

Yeah i agree with you completely. 4Ints and 102 tackles last year...... what a bum...... for all of you dissing this guy because he is 35 and think he is washed up, if you could please provide stats to back up your sheer stupidity in evalutating talent, that would be great.

:dallasuck

I remember reading a few weeks ago that once he got released, he wanted to sign with Philly because that is also where his family resides. However, I think we need to do everything in our power to make this man a Redskin. Our defense will become unstoppable with Springs and Vincent back there.

I think we could really use Vincent at this point. In his prime he was a pro bowl CB and while he's a lot older and been at safety for the last few years, he is still probably good enough to cover a WR in nickel situations. No way he could be worse than the rookies and practice squad members that were brought in to replace PP

I think we could really use Vincent at this point. In his prime he was a pro bowl CB and while he's a lot older and been at safety for the last few years, he is still probably good enough to cover a WR in nickel situations. No way he could be worse than the rookies and practice squad members that were brought in to replace PP

Right. It may take him some time to adjust to a new defense, but if we could work him in now (*holds breath*) he could be a big help in the second half of the season.

Have you checked ours lately?

Nope I have not checked lately, really?? your kidding??? We have a losing record??? :notworthy

YES we have a losing record, I know this....

BUT

We do not have the worst record, OK?

There are 10 teams with a worse record than ours, therefore, IF they wanted to claim him they would have the chance before we would.:D

Some guy keeps repeating himself saying Vincent does not have to clear waivers, I am not 100% familiar how that works. If he doesn't then thats great SIGN HIM UP!!!

We absolutely need him...Having him play the cover safety role would greatly benefit our pass coverage and would allow ST to roam the field more and putting him in the position where he can make plays. Right now we need him to cover so badly that we're taking away from his strengths.

Having Vincent would also give us a veteran presence in the defensive backfield to go along with S. Springs.

http://washtimes.com/sports/20061013-114721-8218r.htm

Looks like we have interest in Troy Vincent. The more I think about the move the more beneficial I think it could be. I really don't think this defense needs an overhaul, just a couple of tweaks to get back to the form we've seen the last two years.

Signing Vincent is a minor move that could have a serious impact when you factor in the return of Springs. This is exactly the type of move we haven't historically made and could be bigger then the other signings we've made this offseason....

The return of Springs + Vincent would do the following:

1. Allow Taylor to roam more often and take less coverage responsibility

2. Allows us to blitz AA more and take him out on passing situations

3. Put less pressure on our d-lineman who seem to be pressing

4. We could leave Springs one on one and roll Vincent to help Rogers and Wright

Golston and Montgomery starting.....Springs coming back....interest (and possible signing) of Vincent.....Hmmmmm.....we might turn things around quickly on defense.... now we just need a mobile QB with a winning record and attitude.....Gosh! I wonder where we could find a guy like that? WWJCD

Actually, I think Troy Vincent would be able to fill the Pierson Prioleau role that has been so sorely missed. That he's come out of that system after playing in it for a few years would only speed that transition. That would free up Taylor from playing lots of deep zone and free up Archuleta from ever being in pass coverage.

Archived