Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

$186 Million to rebuild Superdome?

21KO

A lot of it was insurance money from the insurance policy on the Superdome. I think they could've gotten a pretty hefty sum if they just condemned the thing too, but it's not like the money is all being taken from recovery funds that would go elsewhere.

You could make the same criticism about any stadium project in any major city. It's almost never worth the money that municipalities spend. The truth is that people like stadiums, and people like sports, and politicians generally gain votes by supporting these things. Democracy might not be a perfect accounting system, but it's the best one we have.

And many parts of the city still devistated? How many homes would that $186,000,000 have rebuilt?

Good to see Louisana's still got it's priorities straight. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I can see both sides of this issue, but $186,000,000 seems a bit excessive. Hopefully this game will do what Spike Lee said "make you forget that your :censored: is sitting in a FEMA trailer."

A lot of it was insurance money from the insurance policy on the Superdome. I think they could've gotten a pretty hefty sum if they just condemned the thing too, but it's not like the money is all being taken from recovery funds that would go elsewhere.

You could make the same criticism about any stadium project in any major city. It's almost never worth the money that municipalities spend. The truth is that people like stadiums, and people like sports, and politicians generally gain votes by supporting these things. Democracy might not be a perfect accounting system, but it's the best one we have.

ESPN just said an executive order was issued by the governor to speed the process and FEMA money was spent. So it wasn't all insurance. It's just interesting to hear all the wailing about the poor citizens displaced but a football stadium is a bigger priority.

As far as stadiums built elsewhere with tax money, it's an investment by the city. The same could be said here if not for the conditions still remaining from Katrina IMO.

Yeah, I can see both sides of this issue, but $186,000,000 seems a bit excessive. Hopefully this game will do what Spike Lee said "make you forget that your :censored: is sitting in a FEMA trailer."

But maybe your @#$% wouldn't have to be sitting in a FEMA trailer if the focus had been on the citizens first.

Just interesting that I haven't heard much about this. I never really considered it til tonight.

ESPN just said an executive order was issued by the governor to speed the process and FEMA money was spent. So it wasn't all insurance. It's just interesting to hear all the wailing about the poor citizens displaced but a football stadium is a bigger priority.

As far as stadiums built elsewhere with tax money, it's an investment by the city. The same could be said here if not for the conditions still remaining from Katrina IMO.

What do you expect :rolleyes: ,they were paying the Saints just to stay there before Katrina...priorities ;)

What do you expect :rolleyes: ,they were paying the Saints just to stay there before Katrina...priorities ;)

Which of course brings up another issue - will this new blood keep the Saints there?

Of course, that depends on their record I guess. If you win, people will come.

Wilbon was on Riggo today, and he said that of all the citizens of NO he had spoke to, NOT ONE ****ed about the money spend on the Superdome renovations. He said they all realized that the town is built around that building, sporting events, conventions and the like.

Besides, if the Superdome was still a wreck and another storm hit, where would the remaining people go?

Wilbon was on Riggo today, and he said that of all the citizens of NO he had spoke to, NOT ONE ****ed about the money spend on the Superdome renovations. He said they all realized that the town is built around that building, sporting events, conventions and the like.

Besides, if the Superdome was still a wreck and another storm hit, where would the remaining people go?

Maybe a competent mayor and governor would actually EVACUATE them with the school busses sitting there getting flooded

Give me a camera and a mic and I'll find plenty that'll ***** about it. I'll tell em it was Bush's idea.

And many parts of the city still devistated? How many homes would that $186,000,000 have rebuilt?

Good to see Louisana's still got it's priorities straight. :rolleyes:

It is clear you do not understand how important that building is for New Orleans. Yes it was a lot of money, but the Superdome is a huge symbol of NO and is very important to its citizens.

One of the reasons they have not rebuilt certain areas because those areas are still deemed unsafe to live in. They are still working on the infrastructure as well, basically rebuilding a city which takes a lot longer then one year. Many do not understand what type of job this is.

It is clear you do not understand how important that building is for New Orleans. Yes it was a lot of money, but the Superdome is a huge symbol of NO and is very important to its citizens.

One of the reasons they have not rebuilt certain areas because those areas are still deemed unsafe to live in. They are still working on the infrastructure as well, basically rebuilding a city which takes a lot longer then one year. Many do not understand what type of job this is.

Obviously it's important. More important than focusing on the homeless. Gotta get those tax dollars rolling in! Those people got trailers! They should be happy! :laugh:

Defend all you want, but it's hypocritical as hell to highlight the plight of the dislocated while spending that kind of money on a revenue generator

Obviously it's important. More important than focusing on the homeless. Gotta get those tax dollars rolling in! Those people got trailers! They should be happy! :laugh:

Defend all you want, but it's hypocritical as hell to highlight the plight of the dislocated while spending that kind of money on a revenue generator

have you been to NO?

trust me i get your point but it is clear you do not get mine

Sure I do - it's important to rebuild the stadium - symbol of progress, recovery, healing, tourism, jobs, erasing the memory of the horror endured there in the days after Katrina. All that jazz. It's all true, and the energy tonight is evident. My problem really isn't with the $, its the hypocrisy of all the people who continue to bemoan the lack of progress in rebuilding the wards etc while celebrating the reopening of a footbal stadium that only a relatively few will get to enjoy.

I'm happy to see the progress, don't get me wrong, but there seems to be some talking out of both sides of the mouth by some.

To me, you can't say "Oh my God it's still horrible here - I can't believe it hasn't been cleaned up yet - it's the federal govt's fault" while spending that kind of money on the Superdome.

If the people still homeless and living in trailers don't mind, then who am I to mind? But you can bet a dollar to a doughnut if a stadium had been rebuilt in a Republican Governors' and Mayors' territory under the same conditions, there would be some screaming going on.

Archived