Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton Interview on Fox

chomerics

Chom I recall that little debacle of foreign policy quite clearly. One of the headlines I still have in my house is from September of 1993

From the Washington Post

"Clinton: Troops out of Somolia by March"

This was after the dragging incident

Yes we were embarrased. Yes this emboldened Bin Laden in 1993. Yes we transferred to the ineffective UN "peacekeeping force" Yes the whole mission, from GHWB sending troops in December of 1992, to leaving in 1994 was a diasaster

Take off the partisan blinders man, cripes. Next thing I'll see you'll be defending the DOJ's actions at Waco

Where are the "partisan blinders"? Maybe I misread your post, but it appeared as if you were implying black hawk down happened and we left with out tail between out legs. That is not what happened. We stayed an additional 6 months until the UN took over. That was all I stated.

Weak. Very, very weak. Once again, what did Mr. Clinton do in response to these specific attacks:

1. 1993 World Trade Center bombing

2. 1996 Khobar Towers bombing in Saudi Arabia

3. 1998 bombing of U.S. Embassies in Africa

4. 2000 bombing of U.S. Cole

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Will someone quote please quote my post so Nelms will understand exactly what Clinton did. . .

Something interesting in the interview ;)

quote:

Clinton on his priorities and the Bush administration priorities:

CLINTON: What did I do? I worked hard to try and kill him. I authorized a finding for the CIA to kill him. We contracted with people to kill him. I got closer to killing him than anybody has gotten since.

If true,, I salute him for having the balls to break US law for a good cause :applause:

https://www.cia.gov/cia/information/eo12333.html

relevant section

2.11 Prohibition on Assassination. No person employed by or acting on behalf of the United States Government shall engage in, or conspire to engage in, assassination.

TWA, did you not know that he had given the ok for taking him out in 98?

Will someone quote please quote my post so Nelms will understand exactly what Clinton did. . .

You got your wish

Where are the "partisan blinders"? Maybe I misread your post, but it appeared as if you were implying black hawk down happened and we left with out tail between out legs. That is not what happened. We stayed an additional 6 months until the UN took over. That was all I stated.
If you want to know what Clinton did against terrorism, here is a list. . .

link

To say simply "he did nothing" is not correct. Bush did absolutely nothing, Clinton at least tried to do something. He failed, but he at least tried, Bush did nothing.

Just click on the link to see what clinton did.

Then those plans were cancelled immeadiatly, something about uprage over civilian deaths

I see you waatched the movie like a good boy :laugh:

and no, you don't know what you are talking about. Why don't you read Against All Enemies for starters. That will give you a starting point, then work your way up to the 9-11 commission report. Those 2 books are the factual accounts of what happened in the Clinton administration in regards to Bin Laden. . . and no, those plans were not canceled immediately :doh:

Clinton was obviously very sensitive to the question.

wouldnt you be a bit sensitive if, in the country you love and served, most of the right wing wackos tried to pin the responsibility of the worst national disaster ever on you? i dont blame him for getting mad. besides it was a fox interview so you know where the line of questioning was going.

i didnt much care for clinton when he was in office but you know what...... i would almost quit being a redskin fan if it meant 8 more years of BILL clinton!!

"Our welcome has been worn out," Rep Murtha told NBC's "Today" show in Sept. 1993, a month after 4 U.S. Military Police had been killed in Somalia by a remote-detonated land mine.

The Pennsylvania Democrat announced that President Clinton had been "listening to our suggestions. And I think you'll see him move those troops out very quickly."

But he said more: After 18 Rangers were killed in Mogadishu, Murtha visited Somalia and then told the world the 18 deaths had ruined the Rangers' morale. "They're subdued compared to normal morale of elite forces," Murtha said. "Obviously, it was a very difficult battle. A lot of Somalis were killed, but it was a brutal battle." Murtha then added,

"There's no military solution. Some of them will tell you to get Aidid is the solution. I don't agree with that."

Sound familiar? Last week he said,

"the U.S. cannot accomplish anything further militarily. It is time to bring the troops home."

Clinton took the advice and Osama Bin Laden loved it. He said in a '98 interview on ABC (John Miller),

"Our people realize more than before that the American soldier is a paper tiger that runs defeat after a few blows...and left dragging their corpses and their shameful defeat."

Weak. Very, very weak. Once again, what did Mr. Clinton do in response to these specific attacks:

1. 1993 World Trade Center bombing

2. 1996 Khobar Towers bombing in Saudi Arabia

3. 1998 bombing of U.S. Embassies in Africa

4. 2000 bombing of U.S. Cole

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

see chomerics answer

So it is now "pulled us out in embarrasing fashion" when then it was we need to get out now ASAP!!!

Do you know that we left a UN force in place? Did you realize that we didn't "pull out", but transferred the operations to the UN?

You seem to act as Black Hawk down happened, and we left with our tail between our legs, that is not what happened at all.

A UN force? :laugh: Please, stop. You mena the same UN force that was made of Italisans and giving info to the warlords?

That UN

Anything with "UN " in it is a joke

And stop with the revisionist history already

Honestly, you need to go work for Klintons staff

Had Klinton bothered to grant the request of the ground commanders for additional armour, the Blackhawk down incident would have gone down a lot differently.

But, par for the course on military and intel matters during the klinton regieme

http://www-tech.mit.edu/V113/N58/somalia.58w.html

U.S. Sends Reinforcements As Somali Withdrawal Nears

By Dele Olojede

Newsday

MOGADISHU, Somalia

In the waning days of U.S. intervention in Somalia, Army Maj. Gen. Thomas Montgomery finds himself in the altogether unhappy position of being proved right.

It took nearly 100 American casualties in a single battle -- including 18 dead and one captured -- for Montgomery's superiors to send him the heavy firepower he said he needed to protect his troops serving with the United Nations in this east African nation.

"I don't feel vindicated at all," the soft-spoken general with boyish good looks insists. "I am just very happy to have the reinforcements that we now have here."

As thousands of reinforcements poured into Mogadishu during the past two weeks, accompanied by tanks and artillery pieces, the commander of U.S. forces in Somalia now has more punch than he asked for at a time he no longer really needs it. Hostilities have ceased, at least for now, and President Clinton has set March 31 for withdrawal of American GIs from Somalia.

If the massive reinforcement seems a little belated, Montgomery is not the one to say so. In his bare-bones office on the second floor of the former U.S. Embassy building here, the general offered that the forces, by their mere presence, could at least deter further attacks against Americans, if not much else.

More than two weeks before the Oct. 3 battle with a clan militia loyal to Somali warlord Mohammed Farrah Aidid, Montgomery sent an urgent cable to the Pentagon asking for tanks and armored vehicles.

In the public outrage that followed the heavy U.S. losses in that battle, Defense Secretary Les Aspin was forced to accept blame for having earlier turned down Montgomery's request. Clinton then doubled the U.S. presence here, but also sent an envoy to negotiate a tidy U.S. disengagement.

In his battle-scarred headquarters, Montgomery is struggling to suppress any expressions of vindication.

"I had absolutely no pleasure in any of this controversy," he said.

He did praise Aspin for publicly taking the blame for denying him the armor. "I have great respect for Mr. Aspin's personal demonstration of leadership for taking responsibility for something like that," Montgomery said.

Montgomery was posted here in March as the United States prepared to turn over Operation Restore Hope to the United Nations. By the May 5 hand-off, he had been appointed deputy commander of U.N. forces, nominally reporting to Turkish Gen. Cevik Bir and retaining control over remaining U.S. troops.

But not only did he not receive the reinforcements he requested, he also had no direct control of 400 U.S. Army Rangers sent to him for special search-and-seizure operations against Aidid and his militia. As reports of heavy Ranger casualties came in on the night of Oct. 3, Montgomery's aides said, the Army general bit his lips in cold fury.

In an interview with Newsday, Montgomery said he preferred to not dwell on the unpleasant immediate past. The Rangers have been withdrawn and all U.S. forces are now unified under his command. Plus, said the general, his newly arrived 30 M1-A1 tanks, eight self-propelled howitzers and 48 Bradley armored vehicles are more than sufficient to prevent a recurrence of the Oct. 3 nightmare, when enough armor could not be readily deployed to rescue Rangers pinned down by enemy fire.

"You have to be insane to want to bring down on you the kind of firepower now available," he said.

If I remember correctly, Gen Powell made the request for tanks and Bradleys with Les Aspin, the loser Klinton put into the SecDef position

The request was refused. And if I remember correctly, it was refused becasue we didn't want to "offend" anyone :rolleyes:

They showed the clip again this morning on IMUS.

Either way, doesn't matter who's interviewing and who's being interviewed. It could be Prez Bush and Phll Donahue.

The Interviewer got a hardcore spanking. He wasn't expecting to get nailed and accused of not asking his bosses the same questions. He didn't have a real answer except "Do you watch our sunday show?" or something like that? And even then, it came back to "But, you didn't ask those questions....don't lie Chris....don't lie"

Like getting caught lying in school infront of your whole class.

Either way, doesn't matter who's interviewing and who's being interviewed. It could be Prez Bush and Phll Donahue.

The Interviewer got a hardcore spanking. He wasn't expecting to get nailed and accused of not asking his bosses the same questions. He didn't have a real answer except "Do you watch our sunday show?" or something like that? And even then, it came back to "But, you didn't ask those questions....don't lie Chris....don't lie"

Or being impeached for perjuring yourself

What about when Clinton said he would send 20,000 more troops to Afghanistan if he was PRez right now? Wonder what ol' Cindy Sheehan thinks of that? Will she protest outside of their New York home?

That was one of the funny parts.

We probably could send 20,000 more..............if Klinton hadn't gotten rid of them in the 90's

I clearly remember Rummy getting that same question,lets not exagerate.

What about when Clinton said he would send 20,000 more troops to Afghanistan if he was PRez right now? Wonder what ol' Cindy Sheehan thinks of that? Will she protest outside of their New York home?

Maybe you should look into what the radical left thinks of the Clintons. They very much dislike them.

They're all radical left. That didn't answer the question.:)
No they aren't all radical left. You should know better.

This answer your question?

Sheehan repeated these sentiments as she hopped from anti-war vigils to call-in radio shows during a week-long visit to New York City last month. In Brooklyn, she reminded the crowd of her efforts to "call out the pro-war Democrats," explaining, "Hillary Clinton is the leader of the pack."

She then offered up a challenge, urging activists to withhold their support for the popular senator unless she comes around. "It's time to tell your elected officials, 'If you're not with us, you're against us,' " Sheehan said, "and if you're against us, we'll vote you out of office. "

Five days later, New Yorkers who oppose the Iraq war began heeding Sheehan's advice. Some 70 activists gathered outside Clinton's midtown office on the day after American casualties in Iraq hit the grim 2,000 mark. The activists read names of the U.S. fallen and lit candles in their honor.

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0544,lombardi,69553,6.html

Archived