Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

without an O-LINE no quarterback is anygood!

Chiefredfeather

Without a defence that is coached well the other team will score.

We have great defensive players! So where is the problem- coaching!

Greg Williams defensive schemes just dont work!

This Al Saunders is not a winner. Him and no O-line= no win.

We got Quarterbacks but we dont play them?

Why not?

Dan Sndyer is a JERK for having the spaceman walk around the field like he

owned it!

Keep the STARS in outer space please!

I feel sorry for my beloved REDSKINS and One of the GREATEST coaches ever.

Joe Gibbs

Pssst.... our secondary is incredibly banged up. Shawn Springs is out, and Pierson Prielieu going out on the first play of the season was a dagger for our depth. I don't think people realized how critical he was to our secondary.

I'll point to our D rankings the past 2 seasons to say yes they do work

Our O-line is just fine. This same o-line helped our running back, who happens to be out of the lineup, set a Redskins record for yards last season

Why not?

As much as I'd like to see Jason Campbell, I'll tell you why not. Do you want to basically have a rookie QB responsible for saving the season. Its only 0-2, plenty of time to turn it around starting this week

owned it!

What does this have to do with anything? :whoknows:

Joe Gibbs

I gurantee you Joe Gibbs does not feel sorry for Joe Gibbs. You being a long time fan probably knows that Gibbs' teams always finish strong

Mark's completion percentage, and his average passing yardage has changed very little from last year. http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1032

Year Compl YPA Tkld %

2005 57.7% 6.72 12+%

2006 57.4% 5.90 13+%

[edit] What's really interesting is that the Tkld% from 05 and 06 are actually less than his career average which is actually 16.3%.[/edit]

The problem ain't the O-line. The problem is that as long as Portis is out we will continue to lose because Brunell does not have the skill necessary to carry the team without Portis.

i understand what you mean but you have to understand that when you have an injury at a key position then your play calling will be limited. it is well documented that without solid cover corners, that you cannot blitz. At this point, Carlos is not ready to be a #1 corner in this league, not because of talent or confidence, but because he is not well seasoned at the position yet. Kenny Wright appears to be a career nickel corner at best, and Rumph has alot of potential, but because he is a new player to the system, he will be a work in progress, similar to Carlos. Therefore when you have a roster full of 'zone corners', then it will be suicide to blitz and leave them in man coverage, (7times out of 10) they will get burned. The unfortunate thing is that we cannot seem to get a pass rush with our front 4, which is a shame. Because if you can get a rush with your front 4, then you can sit in a zone with more defenders then they have recievers, this is how you get turnovers. The problem is not G. williams' scheme its that our players just aren't making consistant plays for the execption of Taylor, Washington, and Marshall.

I totally agree with you, Chiefredfeather!!! True, Brunell did not have a good outing in Dallas, and, yes, they do miss Portis and Springs. However, until the O-line gets its act together, it doesn't matter who's taking the snaps. Both the run and pass blocking were awful. And the real tragedy is it is not a bad unit in terms of sheer physical talent, esp. Samuels and Thomas. But without blocking, it doesn't matter if you have Baugh, Jurgensen and Theismann as your QBs.

The D-line was equally abysmal. Bledsoe had ample time to locate receivers and was hardly touched all night.

No line play, no post-season, simple as that.

However, until the O-line gets its act together, it doesn't matter who's taking the snaps. Both the run and pass blocking were awful. And the real tragedy is it is not a bad unit in terms of sheer physical talent, esp. Samuels and Thomas. But without blocking, it doesn't matter if you have Baugh, Jurgensen and Theismann as your QBs.

The D-line was equally abysmal. Bledsoe had ample time to locate receivers and was hardly touched all night.

No line play, no post-season, simple as that.

This pretty much sums it up. The bad thing is that Portis got his yards last in in spite of the fact he didnt have any holes to run throgh, or the O-line re-establishing the line of scrimmage in the defensive backfield. They didnt do much last year, and got owned in preseason. And dont expect it to all of a sudden get any better when he gets back. It's going to be a tough road.

Why not?

owned it!

Joe Gibbs

ok you just lost all your privileges to talk

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Man, where were you guys during the offseason?

You fairweather fans are amusing.:doh:

Oh, wait, was I too negative?

Okay...You're right. We need to fire everyone. Lets fire Al Saunders, Gregg Williams, and Joe Gibbs. After the coaching carosel of the late 90s and early 00s, it was clear the consistency in coaching is not an answer. In fact, the quicker we change coaches, the better we'll be! We should fire Saunders and hire a new Offensive Coordinator every 2 weeks. Its clearly the best solution.

That Gregg Williams doesn't know what he's doing! He clearly is not a good doctor, because Shawn Springs has been out for so long. I mean, he understands that our corners are key to our general defensive schemes and that we'll have to approach things differently without him. Clearly Williams should be fired because he was without a key starter.

You're right...You're right...:doh:

The only comment I will make to this is yes you are correct. It's hard to win when your O-line is sucking it up and backs are missing blitzers but let's look at this: David Carr has played behind one of the worst lines in the league the past couple of years and has had his butt knocked down so much that it is pathetic. The thing is that he has shown enough promise behind such a pathetic line that Houston will not part with him....actually referring to him as the franchise quaterback even now. If they were to cut him I bet the other NFL franchises, except a couple, would be standing in line to sign him. The fact is that you can show promise behind a bad line if you are any good or can still play. :2cents:

We have some of the best coaches in the league!! POINT BLANK!! Coaches cannot go out and play the positions. We picked up Andre Carter who was suppose to get pressure on the qb, what a joke. The defensive schemes that Greg Williams likes to imput, he cannot due to no push on the defensive line as well as mis tackles. Our blocking has been terrible by the offensive line,TE's, and running backs. When you lose in the trenches you cannot call or execute the gameplan.

Clinton should give us a spark on the offense. I also believe you will see Greg Williams start to put Phillip Daniels on the end spot after several games of seeing Andre Cater not getting pressure at all.

Mark Brunell isn't as bad as people make him out to be. The funny thing is, how all this crying stopped when he led the team from 5-6 last year to 10-6.

We as the fans need to step it up in support of the Redskins come gameday against Jacksonville.

Prediction: 1-2 after this week and we upset Jacksonville next week to be 2-2.

HOLD ON!!!!

our oline is backpeddling not winning the battle up front

i dont care if we had joe montanaunitasfarvejurgensonfoutsbradykilmerthiesman behind the center if you dont have time to make a read you are going to suck

Ok, must I assume then that no body looked at the stats in my previous post? So far his stats are virtually identical to last year's, and in fact he's actually being tackled fewer times in the last two years than in the rest of his career, all this happens because the O-line stinks? No, it happens because Brunell is not a franchise QB and without an established running game Brunell can do nothing. His ability at QB relegates that position on our team to a secondary play option only when the run is established. Whereas a franchise QB like Peyton turns the QB position into the primary position; i.e. his ability sets up everything else that is done, not vise versa.

Ok, must I assume then that no body looked at the stats in my previous post? So far his stats are virtually identical to last year's, and in fact he's actually being tackled fewer times in the last two years than in the rest of his career, all this happens because the O-line stinks? No, it happens because Brunell is not a franchise QB and without an established running game Brunell can do nothing. His ability at QB relegates that position on our team to a secondary play option only when the run is established. Whereas a franchise QB like Peyton turns the QB position into the primary position; i.e. his ability sets up everything else that is done, not vise versa.

Looked at your stats, unfortunatly I've watched the games. I've seen how bad the O-line has played. There are alot of things your numbers miss, like the fact that other teams can get pressure consistently rushing 4, or that our offensive line is responsible for alot of penalties, or that it cant rush block and sets up alot of 3 and longs.

Why is he getting tackled less now? He's 36 years old, and has decided that he isnt the "scramblein' QB" he was 10 years ago, and either dumps the ball off or throws it away instead of taking a sack or throwing a interception. It's called "pocket presence". And as for Peyton Manning, what does he do best? Play action pass. Which of course involves being set up by being able to run the ball effectively, AND needs to have the safties respect the run (so they are not in 2 deep all the time). Oh, and what 2 running back has Peyton had for his entire carreer (untill this year)? Marshall Faulk and Edgerrin James, 2 pretty good backs.

Is Brunell a "Franchise Quaterback"? No, not anymore.

If we we had a good O-line, would he be enough to win a Superbowl? Yes. He doesn't make alot of turnovers and "manages" the game. With our defence playing the way it should (not the way it has this year) that is what you want. Defence wins championchips. Control the ball, dont turn it over, dont give the opposing offence a short field, play physical on both sides of the ball. Joe Gibbs football, and Brunell (given time ) does that well. The problem is he doesnt have time, AND no one respects our run game, because we cant push people off the ball.

Looked at your stats, unfortunatly I've watched the games. I've seen how bad the O-line has played. There are alot of things your numbers miss, like the fact that other teams can get pressure consistently rushing 4, or that our offensive line is responsible for alot of penalties, or that it cant rush block and sets up alot of 3 and longs.

*I just clipped your quote because I didn't need to copy the whole block*

But see again you prove my point Mark's numbers are the same as last year which gives good reason to think that the O-Line is the same too. I believe that Mark can be an adequate QB as long as the running game has been established first. But what we need is a Franchise QB who by his skill can open the game up with the pass. Peyton Manning is able to make the running game work, even if the backs aren't that good, because the defense has to respect the pass. Against Mark, defenses don't have to respect the pass, and so they are able to flood the line in order to stop the run, thus making the O-line look bad. And once our running game is stopped then our passing game cannot get started. Again, as long as we have Mark the passing game will be secondary to the run. What we need is a Franchise QB who gives the team balance to the run and pass so that defenses have to try and defend both thus weakening the defense as a whole.

Last year's playoff game against Tampa and the first two games of this season serve as prime examples, Portis was banged or missing and the result would have been 3 losses if it had not been for a very fortunate Sean Taylor TD last year.

In Summary: No Portis/running game-no win, ergo we need Franchise QB

Archived