Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wait for 8 games before benching Brunell...

skinsfan93

yea, that's right! Crucify me because I know that 99% of the people on this board want Brunell out and Campbell in this week, but I ask why? How many qb's in their first tour of duty takes a team into the playoffs and beyond outside of Big Ben and Brady? It just doesn't happen and consider that Campbell certainly didn't light up the preseason.

I for one want the team to turn it around and there is time. Maybe it's a sad state of affairs but right now, Brunell gives us the best chance to win. He may never throw for 300 yards again in his career, but he may play solidly around a bunch of good supporting players.

Not having Portis and Springs has hurt us maybe more than we think. It seems Williams won't blitz without Shawn. It seems that their is less play action passes because both teams didn't fear the run.

If after 8 games, we are out of it, then fine...it's time to look at the future. It still gives us plenty of time to look at Campbell. Look....I was extremely frustrated with Brunell last night and wanted to see him throw it deep just a few times but for some reason it didn't happen. This is not about looking at the glass half full, but about a division that will beat each other up with no one running away with it.

We are one win away from being right in the middle of the NFC East. Does it make that much of a difference to wait just a bit?

Let the bombarding begin...

HTTR

Guest sith lord
In Brunell's last 12 games he's averaged 140 yards a game and broken 200 yards passing once and has 10 TD's and 7 Ints. Why do we have to wait another 6 games?

Somebody gets it.

In Brunell's last 12 games he's averaged 140 yards a game and broken 200 yards passing once and has 10 TD's and 7 Ints. Why do we have to wait another 6 games?

Because as the starting QB, he still led us to the playoffs (Portis obviously is the biggest reason) and besides last night, we have been competitive in just about every game.

Guest sith lord
Because as the starting QB, he still led us to the playoffs (Portis obviously is the biggest reason) and besides last night, we have been competitive in just about every game.

So I guess we just want to be competitive now.

yea, that's right! Crucify me because I know that 99% of the people on this board want Brunell out and Campbell in this week, but I ask why? How many qb's in their first tour of duty takes a team into the playoffs and beyond outside of Big Ben and Brady? It just doesn't happen and consider that Campbell certainly didn't light up the preseason.

]

Um...think about what you're saying here. Brunell is not going to win a Super Bowl for the Redskins (or anyone else). Anyone who doesn't believe that needs a harsh dose of reality. While the playoffs would be nice, the ultimate goal is that game. If Brunell can't lead the Skins there, then what is the point of playing him? He's a 36 year old has-been. Great guy, apparently, but who cares? We need to get Campbell in there ASAP and give him some experience. If you're scared how this year will turn out then exactly how do you expect next year to turn out? You really think he will get better by "studying the playbook" instead of gaining actual experience? Excuse me, but I find that view to be pretty asinine.

Is that because of, or in spite of Brunell? Last season is a different story, a different time. We're on 2006 now. That's not to say we shouldn't be thankful for how well he played last year, and how far he took us, but we also have to be realistic.

I would say that the game last night probably wouldn't have been won if Campbell was playing. But the Minny game? I think there's a chance Campbell can pull that one out.

The thing is, if we're losing games now, why are we losing with the QB of yesterday? Why not lose with the QB of tomorrow?

]

Um...think about what you're saying here. Brunell is not going to win a Super Bowl for the Redskins (or anyone else). Anyone who doesn't believe that needs a harsh dose of reality. While the playoffs would be nice, the ultimate goal is that game. If Brunell can't lead the Skins there, then what is the point of playing him? He's a 36 year old has-been. Great guy, apparently, but who cares? We need to get Campbell in there ASAP and give him some experience. If you're scared how this year will turn out then exactly how do you expect next year to turn out? You really think he will get better by "studying the playbook" instead of gaining actual experience? Excuse me, but I find that view to be pretty asinine.

all in all, he needs to be a man and have an emergency meeting with Gibbs and Saunders to hand over his starting position to JC. He knows in his heart of hearts that he can no longer get it done. Just let the kid get a chance. I know he's competative and all but, he has become a liability to the team. Thanks Brunell for the playoffs last year, have a nice life broa.. :(

Is that because of, or in spite of Brunell? Last season is a different story, a different time. We're on 2006 now. That's not to say we shouldn't be thankful for how well he played last year, and how far he took us, but we also have to be realistic.

I would say that the game last night probably wouldn't have been won if Campbell was playing. But the Minny game? I think there's a chance Campbell can pull that one out.

The thing is, if we're losing games now, why are we losing with the QB of yesterday? Why not lose with the QB of tomorrow?

I'm not saying that we should continue to start Brunell based on him taking us to the playoffs. I'm saying it because we have a complete unknown in Campbell. I think and hope he will be our future for the next 10 years but what's the likelyhood of him taking us to the playoffs this year (based on other young Qb's in this league).

Your argument is based on the premise that we were gonna lose and are going to continue to lose. Fine, if after 8 games we are 2-6, then let's see what Campbell will do.

Our defense and Clinton Portis lead us to the playoffs, let's get that straight to start. If you still have illusions of this team going to the playoffs then you should cool those jets because it is highly unlikely due to the resurgence of the other divisions and the difficulty of ours.

You start JC now because it is a road game so if he does bad he won't hear it from the home fans. It is a game you can grind out with defense and rushing so you don't have to ask him to put the team on his shoulders. You try to grind out a win, let the town simmer in a victory leading up to a home game against the Eagles where you will need a confident QB to help you win. This week sets up as the perfect opportunity to make the change. If you wait past this week you can't start him against the Eagles at home. That would setback his career. The time is now because the city needs it, the team needs it and JC needs it. You get Portis back, you hand the keys to the kid and go get a victory. Then you can build.

You have to ask yourself if MB is the QB for 07. The answer to that is of course NO. So start putting the pieces in place for JC to have a year unders Saunders offense and game situations.

I'm not saying that we should continue to start Brunell based on him taking us to the playoffs. I'm saying it because we have a complete unknown in Campbell. I think and hope he will be our future for the next 10 years but what's the likelyhood of him taking us to the playoffs this year (based on other young Qb's in this league).

Your argument is based on the premise that we were gonna lose and are going to continue to lose. Fine, if after 8 games we are 2-6, then let's see what Campbell will do.

Ok now we all know how important the Dallas game is. yet, the offense looked out of sync, unprepared, and down right awful. At this point a 2-6 record is not far fetched. How about Mr. "Super-smart" Brunell, sit his old hind parts down and finish out his career behind the kid. I'm sure JC can muster up more than 300 yards, 1 int, and 0tds between two games.

Our defense and Clinton Portis lead us to the playoffs, let's get that straight to start. If you still have illusions of this team going to the playoffs then you should cool those jets because it is highly unlikely due to the resurgence of the other divisions and the difficulty of ours.

You start JC now because it is a road game so if he does bad he won't hear it from the home fans. It is a game you can grind out with defense and rushing so you don't have to ask him to put the team on his shoulders. You try to grind out a win, let the town simmer in a victory leading up to a home game against the Eagles where you will need a confident QB to help you win. This week sets up as the perfect opportunity to make the change. If you wait past this week you can't start him against the Eagles at home. That would setback his career. The time is now because the city needs it, the team needs it and JC needs it. You get Portis back, you hand the keys to the kid and go get a victory. Then you can build.

You have to ask yourself if MB is the QB for 07. The answer to that is of course NO. So start putting the pieces in place for JC to have a year unders Saunders offense and game situations.

So what happens if we lose? What happens if JC looks completely confused against a bad team? Then what?

We will just pack it in and say the season is over, right?

This is the idea that i'm sick of hearing, because its just wrong.

Brunell did not lead us to the damn playoffs last year, he just happened to be the QB of a team that made the playoffs.

Brunell didn't win us any games, we won despite of him most of the time and his terrible play lost us a few games.

We won the Cardinal game last year because of a kick return for a TD, Brunell was terrible that day.

We won the 1st Cowboy game because the Cowboys fell asleep or some damn thing, hell I don't know what happened but I know for 56 minutes Brunell looked as bad as he did last night.

Remember Brunell's paly in the 36-0 beat down the Giants gave us?

Remember Brunell in the playoffs? He played terrible vs the Bucs, and then Seahawk game was just bruatal.

Stop saying he lead us anywhere, he was the QB, thats it. With our defense last year 20 other QBs could have done the same job if not better.

How do we know until we play him genius?!?!?!

I'll assume you are pissed off but obviously you are not getting my point. I'm not saying we shouldn't play him but wait a bit before we do.

We still can make the playoffs right now. Maybe that's being naive because obviously we won't if Brunell is as bad as he has been.

Look at Vince Young, the first QB taken, do you think he is going to lead the Titans anywhere this year?

dcoles11 -

No matter how you dice it, Brunell led us to the playoffs. As the QB, he has the most impact of anyone else. Sure we had a great d and Portis, and I'm not saying that Brunell singlehandly won us any games himself but it's a team game and a team victory / loss.

I for one want the team to turn it around and there is time. Maybe it's a sad state of affairs but right now, Brunell gives us the best chance to win. He may never throw for 300 yards again in his career, but he may play solidly around a bunch of good supporting players.

Not having Portis and Springs has hurt us maybe more than we think. It seems Williams won't blitz without Shawn. It seems that their is less play action passes because both teams didn't fear the run.

If after 8 games, we are out of it, then fine...it's time to look at the future. It still gives us plenty of time to look at Campbell. Look....I was extremely frustrated with Brunell last night and wanted to see him throw it deep just a few times but for some reason it didn't happen. This is not about looking at the glass half full, but about a division that will beat each other up with no one running away with it.

We are one win away from being right in the middle of the NFC East. Does it make that much of a difference to wait just a bit?

Let the bombarding begin...

HTTR

Knowing Gibbs mentality ... I don't think anything is going to change ...and, that includes our "losing".

Time to write this season off!

Archived