Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HUGE Coaching Blunders

turbodiesel#44

The Skins had a tremendous opportunity to transition from the Gibbs offense to the Saunders offense smoothly. Both Gibbs and Saunders are locked up contractually for YEARS. How often does that happen in the NFL? I don't ever remember it ever happening before, where the exiting playcaller and the new playcaller were locked together for years...

But we decided it had to be all at once. 700 pages thrown at the team, a team that was a contender last year. Why couldn't Al throw away 400 pages of his playbook this year and stick with 200 pages from Gibbs playbook? He's got a couple more years to fully integrate. The terminology could have been integrated as well. Why are we using only the first 5 pages of the 700 page playbook anyway? A unique opportunity: blown.

Why did the Coaches feel we needed the shortest camp in the NFL? On top of that, why did we have the least 2-a-days? Obviously, they mis-judged the conditioning and game-readiness of this team. Where are all the football geniuses and "true fans" who were saying the team was holding back in preseason, and the certifiable idiots who stated we "threw" the Vikes game to set Dallas off balance? What have you got to say now? I'm listening.

I can't believe all our existing offensive playmakers, and all the "upgrade" recievers simply suck like they appear to. It's way too early to give up on the season, but adjustments to the coaching end of the team seem to be the obvious solution to our present woes.

I have no idea what happened to our defense. WTF?

Why did the Coaches feel we needed the shortest camp in the NFL? On top of that, why did we have the least 2-a-days? Obviously, they mis-judged the conditioning and game-readiness of this team. Where are all the football geniuses and "true fans" who were saying the team was holding back in preseason, and the certifiable idiots who stated we "threw" the Vikes game to set Dallas off balance? What have you got to say now? I'm listening.

Agree with all your points. OLine especially looks out of shape and unprepared. We are now 0 and 6 if you count preseason. So there goes the "holding back" argument about the preseason. We look exactly the same way during the Regular season as we did during the preseason.

The approach makes no sense to me. With less than 5 minutes to go in the game, down by 17, we're handing the ball to T.J. Duckett?? Even Madden and Michaels were baffled, remarking that we needed a quick strike.

And the last drive of the first half was a complete mystery. Down by 7, a minute to go, two timeouts, and we just run out the clock? Why not just have Brunell run out there waving a white flag?

The troubling thing is the coaching staff appears to have zero confidence in Brunell at this point. Not good considering he's, well, our starting QB.

I agree, there were some major questions with the decisions that were made. There is no question that this loss is on everyones shoulders. A loss this bad must be shared. The Danny must be wondering what else he can do.

It is hard to watch the Skins play right now - just so many negatives.

Okay, I have to agree as well. Somebody calling the plays need help, call fema or somebody. Because this is truly a national disaster. And I can't point the finger to it. Is Brunell really that bad after a pretty descent season last year? But like I said in a previous post, I say go with Collins and see what happens. Don't scream, cause how much worse can it get?

The troubling thing is the coaching staff appears to have zero confidence in Brunell at this point. Not good considering he's, well, our starting QB.

If coaches are giving up on the season, and they almost appear to be by taking a knee to preserve a loss, we should go to Campbell now. I feel Brunell gives us the best chance to win, but are we to suffer through a bad season due to inplementing a new offense, then blowing next year to break in JC? Let's kill two birds with one stone if we don't win the next two games. Damn, I'm out of whiskey.

TO has a busted finger requiring surgery, out 3 weeks, no help to us.. Brunell states we will "stick together and see what happens". Not very reassuring.

Is it the playcalling? Is it Gibbs being impatient and making unecessary staffing changes? Is it Gregg Williams building up his players too much, relying on exotic packages and not developing core fundamentals with new acquisitions?

Just because this coaching staff is the highest paid, doesn't mean it's infallible. Just because GIBBS won three SBs, doesn't mean he can't make mistakes. 700 page playbooks don't impress anyone when you can't score a TD with your offense. Blitzing defenses don't scare anyone when they can go deep on you all day long and have a better than 50 percent shot at completions.

HC - Gibbs needs to focus more on all aspects of the game, so he gave up playcalling which WAS SUCCESSFUL LAST SEASON. He was doing a swell job! Why give up on that? You give up draft picks, refuse to build a QB EVER. Wonder why the Giants, Eagles and Boys are ahead? THE SKINS HAVE NEVER BUILT A DECENT QB, we refuse to develop them. As if it's not worth the time or effort. All the other pieces in the world won't matter until we have the answer at this spot. Brunell ain't it. Collins aint it. Campbell? Well yuck, he's a rookie so better not play him.

Offense - It takes time to learn a new system, nevermind that it was probably unecessary in the first place. WHy are you calling predictable 2-run, 1-pass series every posession? I could do that for way less than 2 million. Why are you using Betts as if he was Portis?

Defense - One missing cornerback destroys your entire gameplan, you can't move the pieces around to compensate for two games? Penalties every other down? So much for the days when we could say "At least the defense..."

I can still say "At least the defense...." True, they looked shaky at first but the Cowboys do nothing in the second and third quarters. The D, specifically Sean Taylor, sets us up to tie the game or at least cut the lead to 4, but our noodle-arm QB throws a duck to Roy Williams.

Our offense scored THREE points tonight. Tell me again which unit is to blame.

I can still say "At least the defense...." True, they looked shaky at first but the Cowboys do nothing in the second and third quarters. The D, specifically Sean Taylor, sets us up to tie the game or at least cut the lead to 4, but our noodle-arm QB throws a duck to Roy Williams.

Our offense scored THREE points tonight. Tell me again which unit is to blame.

Sean Taylor is a beast, but one man can't do it all!

Two weeks in a row we've been eaten alive on third and long. Two stops and then BOOM a huge gain. It's nauseating.

The defense isn't as bad as the offense but it's nowhere near what it was. I know, I know, Shawn Springs. The point is, one player shouldn't have THAT huge of an effect, and if he does then something is wrong on a higher level (coaching and staffing).

Is it the playcalling? Is it Gibbs being impatient and making unecessary staffing changes? Is it Gregg Williams building up his players too much, relying on exotic packages and not developing core fundamentals with new acquisitions?

Just because this coaching staff is the highest paid, doesn't mean it's infallible. Just because GIBBS won three SBs, doesn't mean he can't make mistakes. 700 page playbooks don't impress anyone when you can't score a TD with your offense. Blitzing defenses don't scare anyone when they can go deep on you all day long and have a better than 50 percent shot at completions.

HC - Gibbs needs to focus more on all aspects of the game, so he gave up playcalling which WAS SUCCESSFUL LAST SEASON. He was doing a swell job! Why give up on that? You give up draft picks, refuse to build a QB EVER. Wonder why the Giants, Eagles and Boys are ahead? THE SKINS HAVE NEVER BUILT A DECENT QB, we refuse to develop them. As if it's not worth the time or effort. All the other pieces in the world won't matter until we have the answer at this spot. Brunell ain't it. Collins aint it. Campbell? Well yuck, he's a rookie so better not play him.

Offense - It takes time to learn a new system, nevermind that it was probably unecessary in the first place. WHy are you calling predictable 2-run, 1-pass series every posession? I could do that for way less than 2 million. Why are you using Betts as if he was Portis?

Defense - One missing cornerback destroys your entire gameplan, you can't move the pieces around to compensate for two games? Penalties every other down? So much for the days when we could say "At least the defense..."

:cheers:

We are missing portis immensely...we need his blocking and 1500 yards in a bad way as well as his leadership. Hes back next week and I think we see a completly different team. Then we get springs back in time for jax. 2-2 as i have been saying all night

2-2 lol. we had 29 yards passing in the first half.

we were 2-14 on 3rd down and one of thsoe conversions was brunels scramble for the first as time ran out of the half. se we were really 1-14.

we are 6-27 on the season

brunell was 7-18 with 67 yards befor the last 2 drives of the game where it was all but over. 67 yards with players like cooley, randle el, loyd, and moss. and these are proven players. every single one of them

we have not come out on offense and attacked a team yet. we threw more deep balls in the jet game in preseason than we ahve this whole year. We looked bad against the vikings we looked like a high school team tonight. JV team at that

6 sacks of mark brunell. atleast 3 of them were because he paniced and actually moved into the rush.

the d is another story and alot of that comes down to being 1-14 on 3rd down and 6-27 fro the season

2-2 lol thats so far from being atained right now. You can hear it in gibs voice when he says we need to deapsertley find a way to win 1 game. thats his words not mine and not words of encouragment.

not to mention al sounders all but showing he has no confidence in brunell in his post game interview. he said we should be furtehr along. Its not the plays it the execution.

Than whe told collins said it would take a year to learn the offense he said and i quote "i dunno bout that. Kurt warner won a superbowl in his first year with this system"

so i say once again 2-2 lol. if we are lucky. and maybe cp is the missing link right now. but aside from giving us more explosion on the ground he canlt make mark brunells arm 10 years younger. he skipped passes, under threw recievers, bailed out many times and made his classic roll out point down filed and throw it out more than enough times. He lookes confused, lost and scared. not to mention weak. All i know is we are in BIG trouble.

all of these changes made in the offseason right now smells like when Snyder tried to buy a superbowl and we looked like crap. Bruce smith Deon sanders lol. yeah yall remrb those days. 6-10 suits us well. shoot even 4-12 is likley ayt this point. the writing is on the wall and it started in tampa last eyar in the playoffs when we had 125 yards total offense. 67 yards in the air thru 3 and a half quarters. this is the nfl. thast just pathetic

I think the only "blunder" so far is handicapping the team by starting Brunell. Of course after his season last year you can't really blame them. I'd say they should tell him to throw more passes downfield as the plays obviously are designed for that or bench him due to his inability to run the offense. He certainly showed that today.

I think the only "blunder" so far is handicapping the team by starting Brunell. Of course after his season last year you can't really blame them. I'd say they should tell him to throw more passes downfield as the plays obviously are designed for that or bench him due to his inability to run the offense. He certainly showed that today.

ur so right. i read an article in my local paper the day of the vickings game saying brunell is not right for thi offesne. he can not and will not throw downfield to save what little career he has. so he lives in the dink and dunk world. he knows he can not make that hard pass over the saftey to the reciver. evidence of this was in both the vikings game and this game. all his long balls were well short and aside from good plays by moss we have no downfiled threat yet we have 2 viabke and capable downfield recievers.

i am so done with brunell and i was one of thsie fans who wnated him over ramsey. yeah i ws one of them. i was so wriong

Archived