Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This week's reason to hate the NFL - Fox Sports

Inigo Montoya

This week's reason to hate the NFL

Sean Taylor's 15-yard personal foul penalty for a perfectly legal hit on Marcus Robinson was absurd and may have cost the Redskins the game. With the Vikes looking at a punt from deep in their own territory, they got bailed out by a call made strictly on reputation. Taylor timed the hit perfectly and delivered it with the shoulder — all legal. Had Robinson been bringing the ball down, Taylor almost certainly would have dislodged it. The fact that Robinson had already lost the ball may have made it look late, but it wasn't. Weak.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5967014

Thank God someone said it!!!!!

Wow...good assessment.

I thought for sure they would flag the hit on Lloyd late in the game to make up for the call, but I guess you're not supposed to do that!

If they thought it was a penalty on the other side of the field, then the hit on Lloyd definately was, plus it was later and the ball was uncatchable.

I was pissed, I'm now 0-2 at Fed-Ex and contimplating a life of being a Skins fan and never going to my home stadium! 1-0 at Edward Jones Dome though!!!

All NFL players named some variation of "Shawn" should be forced to use the same spelling. I'm tired of "Sean" Springs, "Shaun" Taylor and "Shawn" Alexander having their names misspelled.

That being said, I completely agree with the assessment. I just think it's a shame that Roy Williams doesn't get the same kind of "reputation" calls. For some reason, I don't think they'd bother me quite as much.

All NFL players named some variation of "Shawn" should be forced to use the same spelling. I'm tired of "Sean" Springs, "Shaun" Taylor and "Shawn" Alexander having their names misspelled.

You got Alexander right, but even you misspelled the other two. Did you do that on purpose?

It's Sean Taylor and Shawn Springs.

While it was a bad call you have to make plays to win games and the skins had plenty of chances to make plays and they didn't.

I'm pretty sure we all know that. It's common knowledge that good teams have to overcome bad ref calls, but that's not the point here. The point is that the refs made a bad call on Taylor probably due to his reputation.

The article had noted this as a matchup to watch:

Andre Carter vs. Flozell Adams

The Redskins' defense was already one of the league's best when it added the speedy Carter at right defensive end in the off-season. But Carter was held in check by the Vikings' Bryant McKinnie as the 'Skins fell at home, 19-16. Adams also had a forgettable season opener with a hat trick of sorts in a loss to the Jags: a sack allowed, a holding penalty and a false start. The winner of this battle will go a long way to keeping his team from falling to 0-2.

This Pro Football Weekly writer agrees as well. I asked him this question during an ESPN.com live chat:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=12850

-----------------------

Curtis (Seattle, WA): I think the unnecessary roughness call on Sean Taylor last night was bogus. Do you agree with Tony K. that officials are biased against players with a reputation such as Taylor's?

Trent Modglin: (4:29 PM ET ) That was one of several calls I saw over the weekend that seemed off base. Maybe the officials need to get up to speed. The couple that really bothered me were the phantom push-off calls against receivers. Just because you get separation with a good route doesn't mean you used your hands to do it. As far as refs considering the reputation of the player involved, I honestly don't think there's enough time for that to happen. It's a fast game, and to think that an official takes the time to consciously consider such things I think is a little out of line.

Yeah, I don't blame the refs for this loss. I did for last year's loss in Denver, but it was an incredibly bad call. The player wasn't out of bounds. The ball was within his reach. It was miliseconds after he failed to make the catch and the receiver was hit with his shoulder.

I'm pretty sure we all know that. It's common knowledge that good teams have to overcome bad ref calls, but that's not the point here. The point is that the refs made a bad call on Taylor probably due to his reputation.

And the other point is (and I don't EVER take this stance when it comes to officiating) that calls like this CAN make the difference in a close game when it gets down toward the end.

Now, it's very possible that the Vikings punt from deep and we get great field position and do nothing with it. I mean, we had drives like that last week already, but it would have been nice to get that chance especially since our D finally earned it with a 3rd down stop.

And the other point is (and I don't EVER take this stance when it comes to officiating) that calls like this CAN make the difference in a close game when it gets down toward the end.

Now, it's very possible that the Vikings punt from deep and we get great field position and do nothing with it. I mean, we had drives like that last week already, but it would have been nice to get that chance especially since our D finally earned it with a 3rd down stop.

Maybe that call isnt a reason to say we lost, but I really hate the "we'll never know" aspect of it. A bogus call shouldnt be the first thing you think about after a loss, but that one popped into my head immediately after Hall's kick hooked left!

IT was totally bogus of the refs to flag Tayor and not the hit on Loyd...definitley affected the outcome of the game!!!!!!!!

Now ARE...hey dumbass.... get the first down!

Might want to retitlle this thread...

Who gives a f*(() about name mispellings...get a life. We are just wipping these posts out at work probably...

Does anyone have video of the hit??

Sableholic has a website with highlights every week, some good stuff... should be able to find a link from a thread on the first two pages.

edit * here's the link to his highlights, I think you can see it under the 2nd defense highlight thing:

http://redskinsnation.net/videos/Ga...nnesota_Vikings edit*

Who gives a f*(() about name mispellings...get a life. We are just wipping these posts out at work probably...

The incorrect spelling was in the original Fox Sports piece. I wasn't criticizing a fellow poster. You're doing that well enough for both of us.

As for the original writer, I'm sure he was at work. And having BEEN a sports writer, I happen to know it's his JOB to spell correctly the names of the players he covers.

Archived