Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ummm.... Earth to Brandon Lloyd!

3rd Generation Die Hard

Yeah, I think he was thrown one catchable ball. But he didn't catch it. Look, it's obvious that the guy is our 3rd receiver, and no one expects their 3rd receiver to be great. But he was pretty invisible for a guy who came in with such high expectations, don't you think?

Personally, I don't think any of your complaining makes much sense. Let's take the DL: the Vikings averaged 2.5 yards per carry. That's phenomenal! And the pass rush -- well, the Vikings OL is pretty good, and Williams refused to blitz because he was so worried about the secondary, so you'd expect Johnson to have a little time back there. The DL did OK as a group. Now let's take Hall's miss: the team shouldn't get themselves in a position where they need a last-second miracle 48 yard kick from a guy who hasn't made a kick that long in 3 years. Not his fault. And stupid penalties? What penalties? Taylor's penalties were total nonsense. The first hit was perfectly fine and shouldn't have been called, and the facemask should have been the 5 yard variety. Otherwise, the Skins had very few penalties -- the offense only had one all day.

Wow lets see.... most WR are invisible if you DON'T throw them the ball.... see how that works??

Did we even watch the same game, I could have sworn I saw Chrester F'N Taylor get 5-6-8 yard runs late in the game, getting first downs or setting up third and short. No blitzing ? I saw some, and even without many blitzes where was any pressure from the DL? Didn't we sign Carter to help Daniels get more pressure from the front four? Johnson had all day to pick us apart, The Vike OL dominated the DL, there was zero push, and several times the DL was knocked back off the line of scrimmage (see their first TD).... exactly how many 3rd downs did the Vikes get.

A 48 yard kick is not a miracle, but Hall wasn't even close, When you hook the ball, it is a very poor kick (I know I used to PK)... I don't believe anyone said it was all Hall's fault, only one TD in 4 trips into the red zone added a few nails to the coffin.

Yes stupid penalties that kept freaking drives alive, and got the Vikes out a deep hole at the end to make the game winning kick.

Remember the 3rd and long that turned into an auto first down because of a defensive hold away from the ball? Led to a TD drive, what about AA face mask call that turned a third and long back into a second and 2? Taylors face mask penalty put the vikes right into FG range and yes he grabbed the ear hole and the face mask.... he should never grab the helmet period, he didn't need too.

I am supposedly the biggest homer on the board...so if I am complaining about something, it was a problem :laugh:

Remember the 3rd and long that turned ionto a auto first down because of a defensive hold away from the ball? Led to a TD drive, what about AA face mack call that turned a third and long back into a second and 2? Taylors face mask penalty put the vikes right into FG range and yes he grabbed the ear hole and the face mask.... he should never grab the helmet period, he didn't need too.

i forgot about some of those penalties. in a game this close, they come back to haunt you.

and, yes, you have to put the ball in the freaking end zone when youre in the red zone (werent they inside the 10 each time??).

btw- off topic but i have to say this- save his catch and run, betts was not good tonight. :mad:

First the game should never have been this close in the end.

Second a 47 yard kick is for today's kickers a makeable kick. JH not only missed it but he missed it very very badly so yes he sucks a big one.

3rd Lloyd will show you what he has when we have a QB that actually tries to make a effing play when his primary reciever is covered. Brunell couldn't wait to get rid of the ball. That comes form the fact that this guy just doesn't have confidence in his arm strength to get it in there.

4th it may just well be that this Vickings team is for real. And I mean for REAL. That OL is huge, their secondary is at the very least very solid and they have a QB that gets the ball out almost like Dan Marino used to, fast and accurate. Hell we were lucky that Williamson droped a couple of passes that you and I could catch eyes closed. They were that accurate.

5th. Cooley has to be utilized. I don't know how Saunders was using Gonzales but Cooley is a huge weapon to have just -3 yards for the night.

6th. Brunell get a set of balls pal and take some chances in the red zone.

Lloyd was open, Lloyd could have gotten the ball, we already know he has a flair for getting the uncatchable balls. Brunell just kept looking for Moss and Cooley, but on the other side of the field, Lloyd was open.

When Lloyd was thrown the ball, well, he can make great catches, but he cannot make impossible receptions, and that is what Brunell gave him.

Someone convince me hes not our newest Rod Gardner. Was he even in the game plan? Seems to me things are crafted around moss and ARE, as far as he and cooley i forgot what we have them for tonight.

How can he get involved when Brunell only looks for one receiver? I was at the game and the guy got open....

This offense is gonna take some time. Not everyone is going to be involved in the first game, they just went with the gameplan, reads, progressions, and took it from there. I think we'll see some good things from him and the rest of the crew. It could take a few games but they will gel and familarize themselves with the playbook.

How can he get involved when Brunell only looks for one receiver? I was at the game and the guy got open....

I think you're right about this. I would imagine that this will get addressed in the film room, and hopefully Brunell will start looking for more than his first option in the pattern.

I hate to say it because I'm a huge Mark Brunell fan and supporter but Lloyd was open A LOT last night. Brunell, from what I could tell, never looked at more than 2 recievers on a play. I thought his field vision was poor at best and Lloyd was open but unseen a number of times. That and Brunell was often too quick to escape the pocket. I thought that there were times when the protection was good but he left the pocket anways and allowed the rushers to break off their blocks and hurry him. It's the first game in a new offense so there's time but Brunell, to me, did not look to have a good command of the offense, the field or the protection.

This offense is gonna take some time. Not everyone is going to be involved in the first game, they just went with the gameplan, reads, progressions, and took it from there. I think we'll see some good things from him and the rest of the crew. It could take a few games but they will gel and familarize themselves with the playbook.

:cheers: That'a about as accurate as you can put it!

that's exactly it. - Brunell seems in a hurry to get rid of the ball if his first receiver is covered. Plus, it doesn't seem too hard to cover us when our receivers are running short routes on most plays.

In Brunell's defense, being 74 years old and without your Rascal can be scary at times.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Just kidding, just kidding!

The fact that he didn't start the season with a 100 yd 3 TD game is a massive dissapointment.

What I wonder though, is how are we going to get him the looks. Lets face it, last year Brunell wasn't exactly superb at using all his options. I find it hard to believe that Taylor Jacobs and Jimmy Farris never got open. With Moss, ARE, Lloyd, and Cooley possible recieving threats, will Brunell be able to make his progressions or will he pull the 1st option-bail out-throw away that he has become known for.

Good point. I know we either live or die by Brunell this year, and I'm okay with that for the most part, but one thing that worries me more than anything is the fact that he only has eyes for Moss, and Cooley (last year).

If we're going to bring in two "big" guns, he's going to have to get comfortible throwing the ball to someone else. If he can do that and stop checking down and throwing it away on 3rd down, we'll have a great year. If not... then we'll make it as far as he and Moss can take us.

The fact is - Lloyd isn't that good. Why did San Fran get rid of him when they were so short on recievers? If you watched him play for for San Fran you would see a guy who makes the imposible catch but drops the easy one. His biggest problem is that he does not block.

He actually made a couple great blocks in preseason, thats what stood out to me aside from that great catch.

Why did SanFran get rid of him...good god. Why did the Ravens get rid of Priest Holmes? Why did the SKINS get rid of Trent Green? Why did the Jets get rid of John Abraham? Why did the Colts get rid of Marshall Faulk? That argument holds no water whatsoever in this day and age. The guy wanted out of San Fran, they obliged.

And I watched him on San Fran. I saw the passes he got from Rattay and Smith. I saw the pathetic run game he had supporting him and the double coverage he saw on every play. You are regurgitating some garbage you read an angry San Fran fan post up on another board when he left...the guy can play, and he'll show it as soon as he gets the opportunity, as hes done before.

The fact is - Lloyd isn't that good. Why did San Fran get rid of him when they were so short on recievers? If you watched him play for for San Fran you would see a guy who makes the imposible catch but drops the easy one. His biggest problem is that he does not block.

The football IQ is low on this message board if the overwhelming consensus is that Brandon Lloyd was at all to blame for his production last night. Mark Brunnell and his scaredy cat nature are to blame for the lack of production from all recievers. Only Moss was thrown enough balls to be evaluated fairly and he did very very well.

Hey Brunnell, stop patting the ball, set your feet and deliver the ball. I know you can do it so dammit try.

I hate to say it because I'm a huge Mark Brunell fan and supporter but Lloyd was open A LOT last night. Brunell, from what I could tell, never looked at more than 2 recievers on a play. I thought his field vision was poor at best and Lloyd was open but unseen a number of times. That and Brunell was often too quick to escape the pocket. I thought that there were times when the protection was good but he left the pocket anways and allowed the rushers to break off their blocks and hurry him. It's the first game in a new offense so there's time but Brunell, to me, did not look to have a good command of the offense, the field or the protection.

I couldn't see if Lloyd was open or not but Brunell definitely needs to try to stay in the pocket more. It seemed at the sight of pressure, Brunell would take twenty step drops and drift off to his left. This happened often. I was thinking Lloyd's routes must be in the middle or to the right. Now I make no claims of knowing the nuances of a football offense, but I would like to say this - Practically speaking, it seems in order to maximize this offense it needs a pocket passer that will at least look at all the options.

I couldn't help thinking that if we had a quarterback like Brad Johnson, this offense would be virtually unstoppable.

Archived