• Buccaneers
    • Falcons
    • Panthers
    • Saints
    • 49ers
    • Rams
    • Seahawks
    • Cardinals

First, let me just warn you guys that John McMullen's comment on the Redskins, Vikings game is friggin halarious.

NFL Week One Predictions

http://www.football.com/cgi-bin/posters/printPost.cgi?category=trainingcamps&at=nfl1.shtml

The 2006 season has finally arrived and the Football.com writers will be going out on a limb with their fearless predictions. Every week, the trio of Steve Lassan, John McMullen and J J Pesavento will give their insight on which teams will come out on top and which ones will be left behind. So make sure to visit to see exactly how our experts break down the action.

Miam at Pittsburgh -3

Steve Lassan

No Ben Roethlisberger is going to be a problem for the defending Super Bowl champs. However, the Dolphins will have trouble moving the ball against a tough Steeler defense and backup quarterback Charlie Batch is more than capable of keeping this team in this one. Steelers, but its close.

Straight: Steelers

Spread: Steelers

John McMullen

A healthy Daunte Culpepper used to do just enough to lose in Minnesota, I don't expect more from a hobbling Daunte. Even without Big Ben, the locals will crack that 23rd Iron City to celebrate 1-0.

Straight--Steelers

Spread--Steelers

J J Pesavento

The Steelers will be without Ben Roethlisberger and that may make this more of a contest. But the Steelers are at home and have the better defense so we'll give them the nod.

Straight--Steelers

Spread--Steelers

Denver -4 at St Louis

Steve Lassan

All eyes will be watching who gets the start in the Denver backfield, especially against a rebuilt Ram defense. If the Rams struggle to stop Mike or Tatum Bell, it is a long afternoon for the defense. I like the Broncos to win this one, but the Rams will play well for new head coach Scott Linehan.

Straight:Broncos

Spread: Broncos

John McMullen

The Linehan era will bring a more even-handed game plan and more attention to the defensive side of the ball. That said, the Rams just don't have enough talent yet...

Straight--Broncos

Spread--Broncos

J J Pesavento

The Broncos may actually be the team to beat in the AFC West. Adding Javon Walker makes the passing game even stronger and the defense isn't too shabby either. The Rams may match up well on offense, but are nowhere close on defense.

Straight--Broncos

Spread--Broncos

N Y Jets at Tennessee -3

Steve Lassan

I think I could take snaps for Tennessee this week. The Titans quarterback spot is a mess and it is probably going to be a long year in Nashville. However, luckily for the Titans, they draw the sluggish Jets in the opener. Running back by committee approach and a struggling passing game is bad news for the Jets.

Straight:Titans

Spread:Titans

John McMullen

The stinker of the week. I think Chad Pennington's game management skills get the Jets a win.

Straight--Jets

Spread--Jets

J J Pesavento

This is basically a game between two teams that are in the process of rebuilding so to speak. But the Titans have just enough to have the edge and will win.

Straight--Titans

Spread--Titans

Buffalo at New England -9

Steve Lassan

Bills quarterback J.P. Losman is going to have a rough afternoon in this one. The Patriots defense isn’t great, but they aren’t going to make life tough for the Bills. It doesn’t matter if Deion Branch plays for the Patriots in this one or not, they’ll roll rather easily.

Straight: Pats

Spread: Pats

John McMullen

The Pats are still getting that Super Bowl respect without a Super Bowl level roster.

Straight--Pats

Spread--Bills

J J Pesavento

This one is a huge mismatch. The Pats are looking scary once again and the Bills will fight the Jets to stay out of the AFC East cellar. Go with the Brady Bunch.

Straight--Pats

Spread--Pats

Baltimore at Tampa Bay -3

Steve Lassan

Steve McNair’s debut in Baltimore should make fans in Tennessee wish for the veteran back in their ugly blue uniforms. This should be a close game, but I’ve got to lean towards the running of the Cadillac over the Raven defense.

Straight: Bucs

Spread: Bucs

John McMullen

Two "offensive geniuses" who gutted Super Bowl teams match up here. I'll take home field.

Straight--Bucs

Spread--Bucs

J J Pesavento

Two great running backs headline this one with Jamal Lewis and Carnell Williams taking center stage. And both defenses should be great to watch. But I like the Bucs at home.

Straight--Bucs

Spread--Bucs

Cincinnati at Kanas City -3

Steve Lassan

The Bengals lost the season finale here last year, but it mattered little with most of the starters on the sidelines. Obviously, a much closer game is in store, but I like the Bengals. The run defense is going to struggle a bit, but Carson Palmer and Chad Johnson outscore Trent Green and Larry Johnson.

Straight:Bengals

Spread:Bengals

John McMullen

I don't think Herm Edwards will screw up one of football's best home field advantages...Not yet anyway.

Straight:Chiefs

Spread:Chiefs

J J Pesavento

This is one of the better matchups of the opening weekend in the NFL. It is a battle of the Johnsons. Rudi and Chad for the Bengals vs Larry for the Chiefs. We'll take Larry in a close one.

Straight:Chiefs

Spread: Bengals

Seattle -6 at Detroit

Steve Lassan

The human turnover Jon Kitna at quarterback facing his old counterparts in Seattle. I feel very safe when I say I like the Seahawks to win this one.

Straight:Seahawks

Spread: Seahawks

John McMullen

Rod Marinelli is a lightweight...Matt Millen is a joke...Nothing changes in Motown.

Straight: Seahawks

J J Pesavento

This is a no brainer. The Seahawks should be as good as they were a year ago and the Lions are still trying to find a way to learn how to win. Seattle wins

Straight:Seahawks

Atlanta at Carolina -5

Steve Lassan

The Panthers are my pick to win the NFC, so here’s hoping they get off to a good start. Falcons are going to play tough, but I don’t think they can keep it within five.

Straight: Panthers

Spread: Panthers

John McMullen

The annual "Will Michael Vick ever get it?" watch continues...HINT - He won't.

J J Pesavento

I think this is the year for the Panthers. They'll have some depth at running back and the defense will always be there. Michael Vick may be electrifying to watch, but the Panthers will find a way to control him.

Philadelphia -4 at Houston

Steve Lassan

You can bet those chants for fans wishing they had Reggie Bush will get a little louder if the Texans running back committee struggles against the Eagles. McNabb has a big comeback game in this one.

Straight:Eagles

Spread: Eagles

John McMullen

No T.O. means good times in Philly even if Andy Reid continues to ignore the running game...Against, Houston at least.

J J Pesavento

The Eagles are not the same team that went to the Super Bowl a couple years ago to say the least. But they are good enough to take Houston.

New Orleans at Cleveland -3

Steve Lassan

This is one of the toughest games to pick in week one. Neither team is playoff worthy this year and it’s hard to imagine either team really being that good. With that being said, I’ll take the veteran leadership of the Saints over the young offense of the Browns.

Straight: Saints

Spread: Saints

John McMullen

At press time, the Browns are on their 31st center...More importantly -- look who is underneath the center.

Straight--Saints

Spread--Saints

J J Pesavento

Anyone have a coin to flip? I like taking home teams so I will side with the Browns.....unless the Saints unleash Reggie Bush.

Straight--Browns

Spread--Browns

Dallas at Jacksonville -2.5

Steve Lassan

Terrell Owens soap opera continues Sunday against Jacksonville. I’m picking the ‘Boys, but the Jaguars will be tough on a hot afternoon.

Straight: Cowboys

Spread: Cowboys

John McMullen

T.O. begins the destruction of his third franchise...Couldn't happen to a better guy in Jerry Jones.

Straight--Jags

Spread--Jags

J J Pesavento

The Jags should give the Colts a run for their money for the AFC South title, but the Cowboys will play better defense and the Tuna will outcoach Jack DelRion for the win.

Straight: Cowboys

Spread: Cowboys

Chicago -4 at Green Bay

Steve Lassan

Will Brett Favre wish he didn’t come back for one more year at the end of 2006? Hard to say, but the Packers aren’t likely to win the division this year. Grossman or Griese, it doesn’t matter, give me the Bears.

Straight: Bears

Spread: Bears

John McMullen

Please Brett Favre -- Just go away! And a note to Lovie Smith --.Rex Grossman can't play.

J J Pesavento

I hate going against Brett Favre. It seems everytime that I do, he burns me. But the Bears have a better ground game and are much better on defense so I like the Bears.

San Francisco at Arizona -7.5

Steve Lassan

New stadium, new life for the Cards? Just maybe. I like the Cards to win this one, Alex Smith will show progress, but not enough to win this one for the 49ers.

Straight: Cardinals

Spread: Cardinals

John McMullen

A new stadium, a new running back plus the 49ers is a recipe for success.

Spread: 49ers

J J Pesavento

The Cardinals are working their way back up to being able to play with the better clubs in the NFL. The Niners are headed in the opposite direction. Take the Cards

Spread: Cardinals

Indianapolis -3.5 at N Y Giants

Steve Lassan

The Manning Bowl. Will little brother Eli be able to knock off big brother Peyton? I don’t think so.

Straight: Colts

Spread: Colts

John McMullen

Peyton versus Eli? -- Come on, who would you pick?

Straight: Colts

Spread: Colts

J J Pesavento

This should be a great game. Eli vs Peyton and all that good stuff. The Giants have the edge at running back, the Colts have the edge at receiver. But the Colts will make fewer mistakes and come out on top.

Straight--Colts

Spread--Colts

Minnesota at Washington -4.5

Steve Lassan

Does anybody else hate this Monday night double header? Not only does it start for some not to be home, it also ends rather late. Either way, I like the Redskins to win this one. The Redskins defense will be too much for the so-so Viking offense.

Straight: Redskins

Spread: Redskins

John McMullen

Sure, the Vikings have a better roster but look to the sidelines -- Joe Gibbs, Al Saunders and Gregg Williams versus Brad Childress, Darrell Bevell and Mike Tomlin. Excuse me while I chuckle.

Straight: Redskins

Spread: Vikings

J J Pesavento

The Skins impressed me in 2005. The Vikings didn't. The days of Culpepper to Moss are long gone and the Minnesota defense isn't good enough to stop Washington.

Straight--Redskins

Spread--Redskins

San Diego -3.5 at Oakland

Steve Lassan

I don’t if I could stand seeing Jeff George start at quarterback for the Raiders, but then again I’m not sure a lot of people are sold on Aaron Brooks yet. I think Brooks will be fine, but its Philip Rivers that shines in this one.

Straight:Chargers

Spread:Chargers

John McMullen

I have a hunch Aaron Brooks and Randy Moss create some magic in Week 1 and it all goes downhill from there.

Straight: Raiders

Spread: Raiders

J J Pesavento

Both teams have questions at quarterback. The Bolts have an inexperienced one, the Raiders have...not much of one. The Bolts also have L.T. and a better defense and will win

Straight: Chargers

Spread: Chargers

First, let me just warn you guys that John McMullen's comment on the Redskins, Vikings game is friggin halarious.

I like this one better:

T.O. begins the destruction of his third franchise...Couldn't happen to a better guy in Jerry Jones.

Straight--Jags

Spread--Jags

Archived