Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rewatched the "real" Redskins: playoff win vs Tampa

Beaudry

The last game that we played that mattered was the playoff game vs Tampa Bay. I remember we won that game, but the next thing I know the Steelers were playing the Seahawks in the Super Bowl. Not sure how that happened.

The playoff win vs Tampa Bay was a real game with both team's best players trying to win for 60 minutes. Here are some things that we all need to remember about real games coming up starting this weekend.

- Derrick Frost almost cost us that game with a 14 yard punt with 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

- Our offense was so conservative that game that Brunell didn't have a chance to get any stats. We ran straight into an 11 man front for the entire 4th quarter; we only passed on 3rd and long.

- You cannot run at our defense. Any running back with be lucky to get 3.5 ypc against us. Our only weekness is the possibility of misdirection or runs to the outside. Still, we are very good here.

- Our defensive line was already above average at getting to the QB. The addition of Carter should help this.

- Sean Taylor and Marcus Washington are difference makers. They are better than the Ravens combo of Reed & Ray Ray the Murdering Linebacker.

- Our offense was obviously missing a solid #2 WR last season. Problem solved by adding two #2 receivers.

- If Clinton Portis is a grade A running back then Ladell Betts is a C at best. He is remarkably unremarkable.

- We are not hurt be losing Walt Harris, anybody named Clemens or Ryan Clark. It hurts a little to lose Arrington. It hurts a little more to lose Ray Brown. When your biggest offseason loss is a 43 year old guard, you are in decent shape.

- This is a very good football team. When Portis plays, this is a one of the better running teams in the league. Our defense makes great running backs look average.

Another thing ... the Mark Brunell that played in that game was on one leg. Something that clearly limited him. Pretty sure once we jumped out to quick lead on the turnovers, Gibbs pulled in his horns and played it as close to the vest as he did in order to protect Mark and ride a peaking defense as far as he could.

Almost backfired ... but not. :)

Another thing ... the Mark Brunell that played in that game was on one leg. Something that clearly limited him. Pretty sure once we jumped out to quick lead on the turnovers, Gibbs pulled in his horns and played it as close to the vest as he did in order to protect Mark and ride a peaking defense as far as he could.

Almost backfired ... but not. :)

I'm hoping our D picks up and improves from where they left off, create turnovers and score some points.

Agreed about Betts. He is number two RB at best and had no right to mouth off at the Duckett deal. I liked Ryan Clark though. He was a team player that seemed to be a good locker room guy. Plus he is Sean Taylors favorite player if I remember correctly. Marcus Washington was our MVP last year in my opinion. He made SOOOOOO many plays. Hail Skins.

Well written, but do you honestly think our d-line was ABOVE average at getting to the QB? I mean, against the run I would agree they are excellent, but at rushing the passer...?

They became much better the last few games of the season, once Griff, Joe and Phillip were all healthy. The key was getting Daniels healthy.

I'm hoping our D picks up and improves from where they left off, create turnovers and score some points.

That was definietly true through much of the year, but don't forget what happened late in the year pass-rush-wise when Daniels finally got healthy. I know Bledsoe remembers. :)

Add Carter to this year's mix, and there's good reason to hope the down 4 will be able to generate enough pressure to allow GW the option to drop 7 to clog lanes and try to force QB's into quick, bad decisions.

They became much better the last few games of the season, once Griff, Joe and Phillip were all healthy. The key was getting Daniels healthy.

That was exactly the case. Daniels is good enough to school weak OT's. He can't do jack against a Walter Jones, but he can kill a Tyson Walters.

I was shocked how much pressure the front 4 were getting at the end of the season.

- During the playoff win vs Tampa Bay our defensive line tipped 5-7 passes. 2 of those were interceptions. A big reason for all of those was Daniels creating a rush outside and DT's getting a big push.

That was definietly true through much of the year, but don't forget what happened late in the year pass-rush-wise when Daniels finally got healthy. I know Bledsoe remembers. :)

Add Carter to this year's mix, and there's good reason to hope the down 4 will be able to generate enough pressure to allow GW the option to drop 7 to clog lanes and try to force QB's into quick, bad decisions.

Let me ask you this, do you think that our D will have to score some points in the beginning until the offense gels or do you think that they'll be in a position where its just an added bonus?

I'd like to think that right off the bat that the offense can put up about 20pts and then improve from there while the D holds the opposition.

Nice evaluation. I've looked at that game as well to get my off-season fix. One thing that also stands out is that Chris Simms is for real (that end zone pass was close -- we dodged a bullet). I'm more concerned about Tampa this year than Carolina, really.

Some comments about the Tampa game:

It shows what a good defense can do when it gets a second chance. I'm talking about Tampa's D.

No, Betts isn't an elite back. An elite back would still be able to make yards despite how many people you put up front. But, give him a passing game to loosen things up, and he can do some things.

As nice as it was having Ray Brown, his deficencies were showing in these two playoff games. He wasn't nearly the guard that Randy Thomas was. I'm glad that we have some younger guys now.

Jason

As nice as it was having Ray Brown, his deficencies were showing in these two playoff games. He wasn't nearly the guard that Randy Thomas was. I'm glad that we have some younger guys now.

Ray Brown was really bad when he had to play tackle the year before. I'll take him as a backup guard. You want to see deficiences watch Corey Raymer.

Let me ask you this, do you think that our D will have to score some points in the beginning until the offense gels or do you think that they'll be in a position where its just an added bonus?

I'd like to think that right off the bat that the offense can put up about 20pts and then improve from there while the D holds the opposition.

Can I hold my answer until about week 4? :)

Truth is it's impossible to say at this point. There's reason to expect that even the beginner's version of Saunders offense, given the talent and carryover from last year, will be good enough to put 20+ on the board most weeks, with the capability of exploding some weeks when things break right. And with this D, 20+ will be enough most weeks.

Equally important though, especially while they find their rhythm, will be whether offensively they can control time of possesion and win the field position battle. If they're good enough early to pick up first downs on most possessions and avoid getting stuck backed up in their own end, they can play field position. And with this defense, it'd be a real treat to see GW be able to dial it up and take some chances; something you can't do much if the other guy is always starting at midfield or in your end of the field already.

If Brunell and the O can start Monday night smoothly enough to, if not score on every possession, at least keep Minnesota backed up to start theirs, then yeah ... I'd not be surprised at all to see the D make something special happen. Whether or not the Skins will "need" that to win ... I'd say probably not, in this game. Minnesota on the road just doesn't strike fear since Dante and Randy bailed. They just don't.

But after that ... Dallas in week 2 for instance ... yeah, I suspect we might need the D or special teams to help out on the scoreboard. There IS going to be a learning curve for this offense, and against good defenses on the road, I'm not going to expect offensive fireworks from us early in the season.

How was that for a non-answer? :)

Ray Brown was really bad when he had to play tackle the year before. I'll take him as a backup guard. You want to see deficiences watch Corey Raymer.

I'm not going to tear down a guy who was playing out of position. Ray was really the only decent option, and he was a warrior to go out there and play decently. Unfortunately, Mark Wilson wasn't able to step up and do something there.

As for Raymer, in hindsight, it makes the staff look bad because they could have kept Lennie Friedman, who could also play guard. Instead, we went with the guy who could only play center, and we paid the price for that one.

Jason

- Derrick Frost almost cost us that game with a 14 yard punt with 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

- You cannot run at our defense. Any running back with be lucky to get 3.5 ypc against us. Our only weekness is the possibility of misdirection or runs to the outside. Still, we are very good here.

- If Clinton Portis is a grade A running back then Ladell Betts is a C at best. He is remarkably unremarkable.

- I remember thinking after that 14 yard punt that no matter the outcome that he would have gotten cut. That's why I am puzzled that he is still around.

- Cadillac got shut down in the first game and just didn't show up for the playoff game. When our D is amped they make HBs disappear. Remember the first game against Seattle when Alexander had a quiet 100(or so) yards against us but really was a non factor in that game.

- Betts worries me at times. I'm interested in seeing what Al Saunders saw in him that made him gush about him. He's an okay running the ball, but from his receiving skills really got us out of a few jams last year. My main worry with him is the occassional fumble.

I agree Longshot ... how in the world did they let Lennie Friedman go ... I think he is now the starting guard at Cleveland. I don't believe any lessons are to be drawn from the Tampa playoff game ... the Skins were lucky to get the "W." The Minny offense is much better than the Bucs and I'm worried that Brad Johnson will move the chains and get TOP. The Skins need at least one defensive TD to win this game IMO.

Archived