Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

bizjournals ranks the NFL fanbases:

eagles78

Having lived in Cleveland for 7 years I can say the Browns fans are nuts about that team no matter what. Mostly due to the fact theres not a ****in thing to do in that area especially once it gets cold. And I always loved the Browns fans removing the "C" from Couch so the jersey's read "OUCH". Simply classic.

Ok the one I don't get is Buffalo - they play at 90% capacity which is only higher than like 10 teams. I don't believe they belong in the Top 10.

Yeah Philly belongs at #3 - any fan base that is willing to murder, literally murder, an opposing fan belongs in the top 5.

In my opinion that list is crapola.

The Bears at 27? Are you serious? The Steelers at 21? Oakland dead LAST?

The Redskins at 10 doesn't bother me I guess. But the formula they use needs some work.

I'll agree with you here.

There is no way Oakland is dead last. Anyone who lives on the west coast can tell you that Raider fan spends money on their apparel even if they don't/can't go to the games in the Collseum.

Yeah, I'm not buying the list either. Successful teams get downgraded b//c they're good so they sell out? That's silly.

I'm not saying that I have a better way, only that I don't like that way.

True, however, the success factor only carries 10% of the overall rankings, while avg. attendance, % capacity and attendance fluctuation account for 20% each. So, in the end, a team isn't penalized that much for successful seasons.

Edit: something that can hurt worse than successful years is a stadium that holds significantly less than other larger ones.

I'll agree with you here.

There is no way Oakland is dead last. Anyone who lives on the west coast can tell you that Raider fan spends money on their apparel even if they don't/can't go to the games in the Collseum.

Anyone who lives in California knows that probably over half of the fans that like the Raiders, they only like them for there colors which are black and silver. I don't mean to be stereotypical or anything like that, but most of the Raider fans are thugs and stuff like that. Let me give you an example, at my school, students are not allowed to wear a Tim BROWN jersey because it is considered gang-related.

Do you know how many people went out and bought a Randy Moss jersey simply for the number 18?

As pointed out by others, any list that has the Steelers ranked #21 in fan loyalty is fundamentally flawed.

The Steelers are the only team in the league who have a bar devoted to them in every major U.S. city. In 2004 my wife and I went to San Francisco for our honeymoon, and the Skins were playing the Steelers. How did we watch the game? We went to a Steelers bar in San Fran. And let me tell you, those fans were nuts. I was the only dude in the entire place not wearing black & gold.

Did you read the write ups on the teams? It says the Raiders are second-worst in average attendance and third-worst in percent of capacity in the 10 year span. All while having relatively successful seasons.

That's why I said their formula needs some work. The fact that insane Al Davis moved the team back to Oakland in 95 and had to rebuild it's fanbase might have been a factor there. There is no WAY their fans are less loyal than those of the Cards, whose stadium attendance relies more heavily on fans of visiting teams.

As pointed out by others, any list that has the Steelers ranked #21 in fan loyalty is fundamentally flawed.

The Steelers are the only team in the league who have a bar devoted to them in every major U.S. city. In 2004 my wife and I went to San Francisco for our honeymoon, and the Skins were playing the Steelers. How did we watch the game? We went to a Steelers bar in San Fran. And let me tell you, those fans were nuts. I was the only dude in the entire place not wearing black & gold.

I saw that and laughed. I love being part of the Redskins faithful but nobody touches Steelers fans. Their TV ratings for road games are insane.

Any poll that has the Cardinals as anything higher than #32 is full of poop.

I too think that Steelers fans are easily top 5 in the NFL, but for what it's worth, here's their justification for why the Steelers are where they are:

"This may come as a bit of a surprise. Pittsburgh fans have the reputation of being as dedicated as they come, but the numbers don't back up the image. The Steelers have been consistently strong on the field -- even winning February's Super Bowl -- but they're only 16th in the percentage of seats filled since 1996."

:whoknows:

I too think that Steelers fans are easily top 5 in the NFL, but for what it's worth, here's their justification for why the Steelers are where they are:

"This may come as a bit of a surprise. Pittsburgh fans have the reputation of being as dedicated as they come, but the numbers don't back up the image. The Steelers have been consistently strong on the field -- even winning February's Super Bowl -- but they're only 16th in the percentage of seats filled since 1996."

Interesting.

I've been to Steelers games in Baltimore and Cleveland, and in each place Steelers fans represented no less than 40% of the stadium.

I would love to know where they got their seats filled statistics.

Archived