Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RF365:Texans' Williams has struggled in the preseason

spanishomelette

Preview: Texans' defense will stay below average http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/08/houston-texans-defense290806.html

It all began up front for Houston during the offseason. With the No. 1 overall pick in April's draft, the Texans pulled the trigger on former NC State defensive end Mario Williams, who, at 6-foot-7, 295 pounds, has dominant potential. However, Williams has struggled in the preseason thus far, which has been discouraging to the team's fans.

The average fan thinks he's struggling if he doesn't get 2 sacks every week but that's not going to happen. Williams is going to be a stud and he was the right pick.
He's definitely going to be great. Still, it's hard to believe they passed up Reggie Bush.

Clint

Hey, it's preseason and it's the Texans.

They really should not have taken Bush or Williams, although both will be real good players. When they made the decision they were going to stick with Carr, they should have picked D'Brick to protect the poor guys blindside.

Carr may end out ruined like Ramsey from all the hits.

I still don't see how everyone's sold on that pick. Williams was streaky in college, which means he'll be even more hot/cold in the NFL. That team needed more than DeAngelo Williams, and if they weren't taking Bush either, they should have traded down. :2cents:

One wonders how that team's front office operates, since Casserly resigned two weeks after the draft.

Hey, it's preseason and it's the Texans.

They really should not have taken Bush or Williams, although both will be real good players. When they made the decision they were going to stick with Carr, they should have picked D'Brick to protect the poor guys blindside.

Carr may end out ruined like Ramsey from all the hits.

Ferguson would have been a good pick but Bush would have been the difference maker and someone, along with Carr and Andre Johnson, who could have built a very good offense with.

Just another piss poor decision by Charley Casserly.

Trading down was the best option, but they didn't get an offer they liked.

It doesnt matter if they liked it or not. They still would've gotten more draft picks and still have been able to pick Mario Williams AND sign him for cheaper. Houston picking Williams at 1 was absolutely stupid. That and Buffalo picking Donte Whitner at 7(or was it 8?) were the dumbest moves in the Draft.

It doesnt matter if they liked it or not. They still would've gotten more draft picks and still have been able to pick Mario Williams AND sign him for cheaper. Houston picking Williams at 1 was absolutely stupid. That and Buffalo picking Donte Whitner at 7(or was it 8?) were the dumbest moves in the Draft.

Hey come on - the Redskins annually have the dumbest moves remember?

Not if you trade down too far and the player you want is no longer there. That is the danger of trading down too far. So, just not any deal was going to work.

I personally agree that they would have been better off with Ferguson with that awful line they have. We'll see if Bush does anything with the Saints.

Jason

Ferguson would have been a good pick but Bush would have been the difference maker and someone, along with Carr and Andre Johnson, who could have built a very good offense with.

Just another piss poor decision by Charley Casserly.

They went with the idea they had a QB and RB, which left their big needs at Oline and most defensive positions. When you have the opportunity to draft a franchise QB or DE you are supposed to take them. Williams filled a big need postion and is loaded with talent. He also can be an every down player. Bush is exciting, but probably not an every down player.

They did not have a great offer for their pick and had time to work on a contract with their choice (huge advantage).

I still would have taken D'Brick if I were them. Carr might be a franchise QB if he was not throwing from the ground. I would then have gone defense with every other pick!

He's going to be a monster. Besides our whole team has been struggling in the preaseason and were blaming it on vanilla. Mario is also the starter on texans which means he barely gets any series. I saw him play in a series, he took a double team and swatted the ball down.

Heres a video about why he was the right pick http://youtube.com/watch?v=kZFo7LARe_4

I think Williams will be a great NFL player, but if I were a Texan fan, I would need any 1 of these 2 things to happen for me to be satisfied

1. Williams = Reggie White

2. Bush is a bust (doubt it doubt it doubt it)

If Bush plays like, well, Reggie Bush, and Williams is just "good" then Houston will be left with a permanent salty taste in their mouths. and LMAO@Casserly resigning shortly after the draft. Thats like the captain of a ship hopping on a life boat after inadvertently steering the ship into the path of a giant iceberg.

Preview: Texans' defense will stay below average http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2006/08/houston-texans-defense290806.html

It all began up front for Houston during the offseason. With the No. 1 overall pick in April's draft, the Texans pulled the trigger on former NC State defensive end Mario Williams, who, at 6-foot-7, 295 pounds, has dominant potential. However, Williams has struggled in the preseason thus far, which has been discouraging to the team's fans.

no surprise here, he was not worth a #1 overall

The Donte Whitner pick allowed the Eagles a chance at either Ngata or Bunkley, so I'm going to have to say I was a pretty big fan of the selection.

I really don't think Williams at 1 was that bad a pick. For one, I don't understand how everyone seems to think passing on Reggie Bush was such a cardinal sin. He's a running back, albeit a very unconventional one, but nonetheless, he plays the position which is easiest to fill. A stud DE, or OT (which is where I think they should have gone) is much more difficult to find than a RB.

Now, if Bush becomes a Barry Sanders type of palyer, obviously it was the wrong move. But I can't understand the basis for acting as though Bush is a gurantee, when the draft teaches us each year that there is no such thing. In simultaneous sentences analysts would say "you absolutely cannot pass on Reggie Bush," and then "we all know, the draft is basically a crap shoot." All things considered, I certainly understand taking a DE over a RB.

The Donte Whitner pick allowed the Eagles a chance at either Ngata or Bunkley, so I'm going to have to say I was a pretty big fan of the selection.

This is the first good reason I've seen for the Buffalo reach, even if it is selfish. :) He's a good player, but not 8th pick good!

I think Williams will be a great NFL player, but if I were a Texan fan, I would need any 1 of these 2 things to happen for me to be satisfied

1. Williams = Reggie White

2. Bush is a bust (doubt it doubt it doubt it)

If Bush plays like, well, Reggie Bush, and Williams is just "good" then Houston will be left with a permanent salty taste in their mouths. and LMAO@Casserly resigning shortly after the draft. Thats like the captain of a ship hopping on a life boat after inadvertently steering the ship into the path of a giant iceberg.

Everyone knew Casserly was gone before the draft. This wasn't a case where he was afraid to face the music.

As for who they should have taken it all depends on where you think their problems were. If you believe the problems with the offensive line was personnel then they probably should have gone with Ferguson. If you think it was coaching then Williams may have been the right guy. Preseason is preseason but the Texans averaged 5.4 yards per carry in the preseason. They were also only sacked 4 times the entire preseason. Coaching can be the problem and coaching can solve a problem. Just think back to how putrid our run defense was the year before Gregg Williams got here.

Archived