Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

i need your opinions

phat43matt

Okay this is really crazy. the reporters said on the redskins site that why not play half of the playbook. It's not like the vikings are gonna come out and know what plays they are going to do. I mean come on. So i need your opinions if this is right for them to do. just play half of the playbook or just make up plays. On offense, Al Saunders has 1 tackle on everybody on the offense line. Everyone has to show there game tomorrow.

Okay this is really crazy. the reporters said on the redskins site that why not play half of the playbook. It's not like the vikings are gonna come out and know what plays they are going to do. I mean come on. So i need your opinions if this is right for them to do. just play half of the playbook or just make up plays. On offense, Al Saunders has 1 tackle on everybody on the offense line. Everyone has to show there game tomorrow.

Uh.... Wha--? I'm a little confused. There is a game tomorrow too?

Okay this is really crazy. the reporters said on the redskins site that why not play half of the playbook. It's not like the vikings are gonna come out and know what plays they are going to do. I mean come on. So i need your opinions if this is right for them to do. just play half of the playbook or just make up plays.

Yes, the Ravens- Skins Thursday preseason game. Unless the person who started this thread is Al Saunders disguised as a fan, I don't think it matters how we answer this because it has no bearing on the outcome.

Yeah, preseason against the Ravens.

I understand Al's thought process, but I think I would show just a little more, if for no other reason than to save the team and the fans a little bit of embarassment, and hopefully let them get a little bit of ryhtym and confidence for the regular season. But Im sure Joe and Al know waaaay more about coaching in the NFL than everyone on this board put together, so more power to them.

I have no idea what you were trying to say. Take a deep breath, think about it and try again. This try was nearly incoherent.

Ok on the redskins site, the reporter said why not play half of there playbook to get something out of it. It's not like the vikings are gonna know what plays they are doing. i mean come on

Holding back hasn't helped Mr. 2% yet. KC under Saunder 2001 lost first 3 games

2002 lost 2 of first 3

2004 lost 4 of first 5

What a joke!

Ok on the redskins site, the reporter said why not play half of there playbook to get something out of it. It's not like the vikings are gonna know what plays they are doing. i mean come on

Why show half of the playbook? The obvious strategy, according to Gibbs and Co., is to give the Vikings (or any team, at this point) something to gameplan for. So why show half? As for the Ravens game, I doubt you'll be seeing much of the 1st team on either side of the ball. They will run plays to evaluate talent, and that's it. It's their last chance before the final cuts.

I am a little confused myself. The team doesn't have to show anything tommorrow. I'm a firm believer that they have actually showed what they have. I think the playbook is going to take a year to master and that this season is a rebuilding year. I'm okay with that. You may say why? I think we had too much turnover in the offseason for it to come together in one year. I think next year will be the year to start many years of glory. We will be competitive and win a fair share of games but continuity has to be there somewhat. Tommorrow nights game will be much like we have seen so far. The starters may play a quarter at most and then it is on to the Vikes.

It may be unpopular and I hope I am wrong but I see a lot of growing pains this season. These guys need to gel. There is a lot of talent on the team but it will take some time and patience for the pieces to fall in place. For example, lets say we aren't using our playbook in the preseason. That is what we have all been told right? or it is what we chose to believe. The fact is that Al Saunders has been a coach in this league for a long time. So much so that there is plenty of footage out there on his previous teams. There is also plenty of footage on our current personnel. Teams won't even think to look at the preseason to scout us. They wouldn't even if we were lighting it up out there. Second, not using more of the playbook in the preseason is only a good idea if your team IS NOT grasping it in practice. The reason you practice your motion and plays in preseason is to get used to the crowd. It helps prevent things like false starts on third down and delay of games in crucial moments during the course of the regular season. If you think we are going to go out and turn on a switch and execute at a high level from day one, you are probably wrong. They needed to be getting the lumps out during the games and all I saw was a team not on the same page that needs time to form as a unit.

It just might be a case of too much too soon. We are good fans, we always expect a lot from this team. We pay a lot of money and we root really hard. For me every inch of success we achieve this season will be icing on the cake. If we are dominant and go deep I'll take it all back, but I really think this team has to take it's lumps. I just hope the marquee players we signed and the key vets returning are willing to play out the ROI with their mouths shut and egos in check. Either way I can't wait for it.

Yes, the Ravens- Skins Thursday preseason game. Unless the person who started this thread is Al Saunders disguised as a fan, I don't think it matters how we answer this because it has no bearing on the outcome.

I was confused because he kept saying the Vikings. No, we still dont want to show our plays when there is no point. It doesnt matter if we win. All our coaches do, to the extreme, is evalulate the players in certain situations to test their weakness.

ok, first, I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that it was good old Bram Weinstein who said that :silly: . Second, I don't know, I think the coaches have a plan, I think they're looking for very specific things from players and units and that the extent of the playbook used is really inconsequential. Read through some of Gregg Williams and Al Saunders recent quotes, they give a real good idea ofwhat it is our staff sets out to accomplish. Saunders article Gregg Williams

I think you start to realize that this staff is concentrating on very specific elements of the game to work in each preseason contest. For example, Saunders purposely left our OTs on an island, no matter what blitz we saw coming, just to see how they handled it against the Pats. That, not the diversity and complexity of plays, is what the coaches want and need to see in the preseason. They're trying to see how certain players do certain things without help from game planning and play calling. They won't say it publically but wins and losses mean nothing to this staff in the preseason.

Holding back hasn't helped Mr. 2% yet. KC under Saunder 2001 lost first 3 games

2002 lost 2 of first 3

2004 lost 4 of first 5

What a joke!

You're the joker, misleading with stats.

Through the first 3 games 2001, Chiefs scored 24, 3, and then 45.

Through 2002, 40, 16, 38.

Through 2004, 24, 17, 21, 27, and 16.

For an average of 24.6 points. With one flop in the selective time span you chose. What about 2003 when they started 9-0. Besides, it doesn't matter what their record was, only that they were scoring points. Everybody knows the Chiefs problem was their defense.

You're the joker, misleading with stats.

Through the first 3 games 2001, Chiefs scored 24, 3, and then 45.

Through 2002, 40, 16, 38.

Through 2004, 24, 17, 21, 27, and 16.

For an average of 24.6 points. With one flop in the selective time span you chose. What about 2003 when they started 9-0. Besides, it doesn't matter what their record was, only that they were scoring points. Everybody knows the Chiefs problem was their defense.

Ok 2001-2004 Record first 3 games 6-10, but i it because of holding back plays.

Ok 2001-2004 Record first 3 games 6-10, but i it because of holding back plays.

Still, you're not making any sense. Let me break down the scores from your time period:

2001: Oak 27/ Kan 24, NY 13/ KC 3, KC 45/ Was 13

2002: KC 40/ Cle 39, JAC 23/ KC 16, KC 38/ NE 41

2003: KC 27/SD 14, KC 41/ Pitt 20, KC 42, Hou 14

2004: KC 24/ Den 34, Car 28/ Kan 17, Hou 24, KC 21

Average KC score: 28.16 ppg

Average Opponent: 27.0 ppg

The Chiefs were scoring points, as you can see at an average of 28 a game. Their defense allowing 27 ppg. That is why they were losing.

Let me reiterate, the offense was doing its job. Their record was not a reflection of their offense, it was a result of their defense.

So, I guess it would be safe to assume that Saunders way of doing things (your holding back the playbook) seemed to work during this period you seem to think it hurt the Chiefs.

Edit: I am getting all this info from http://www.databasefootball.com/teams/teampage.htm?tm=KAN&lg=nfl

Archived