Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ok Let's Talk Cuts...

Redskinswhoopass

I don't think they WILL cut him (Arch)... I just think they SHOULD.

For all the good free agent pickups and personnel moves Gibbs has made since he's been back (Springs, Griffin, Moss for Coles, hopefully Randal El and Lloyd) I think Archuleta was a big mistake. He simply isn't very good.

Let me put it this way: I don't know the contract situation with Archuleta, but if they can cut him and save some money then I think they should. If by cutting him were going to have a lot of dead money on the cap, then we have to keep him and were just stuck. If that's the case, then it was a big mistake signing him.

You can't hit on all of them and Gibbs has hit on some, like those mentioned above. This year though, Arch, and Wright look like they might have been misses. Unfortunate because our secondary needed some help.

Lloyd might be a miss too. That guy drops too many passes and if he does it in crucial parts of games that count, he'll cost us some games. Anyone think Gibbs will keep in a guy who is costing us games?

Might be a costly personnel miss. Please let me be wrong.

Lumsden makes the practice squad at best. No way we hold 5 half-backs and the other four are definately staying. Nemo has the edge on Manny for the #2 FB spot, but I'm not sure we dont just cut both of them and stick with 1 FB and 4 HBs. As for OL I think Indukwe, Molinaro, Walter, and Pucillo stick around as the backups with the rest vying for the practice squad. Although I think some of the young tackles have a chance to unseat Molinaro as he continues to rehab that injury. Ortega, Farris, Espy are all probably gone allthough they would be good PS material.

On defense, I would really like to see Anthony Montgomery make the roster, but at least the PS. Golston, Havner, and Simon are probably PS material. Doughty is going to have a tough time making the 53 man roster with the recent additions of Rumph, Edwards, and Battle, of which I think the first two make the roster. Meaning Patterson and Morton are probably dumped or stashed on the PS.

Hall and Frost (yikes) will probably stick around with their backups getting the ax.

how come hardly anyone is talking about FROST?!?!? he had a 20 yard punt last night.... TWENTY YARDS! that's only 19 more yards than theismann's punt... how did this guy get drafted? did he even punt in high school and college? or is he another one of these nfl-cinderella-story's -- he never played football growing up, but one day, an nfl scout just happened to stop for gas in a small, rural town, population 140, and noticed someone next door, kicking a dog. he looked so good kicking that dog, that he was immediately given a contratct to punt in the nfl. -- i swear, if he doesn't improve before final cuts, i'm going to be the next vince papale, but of the washington redskins -- INVINCIBLE PUNTER!

how come hardly anyone is talking about FROST?!?!? he had a 20 yard punt last night.... TWENTY YARDS! that's only 19 more yards than theismann's punt... how did this guy get drafted? did he even punt in high school and college? or is he another one of these nfl-cinderella-story's -- he never played football growing up, but one day, an nfl scout just happened to stop for gas in a small, rural town, population 140, and noticed someone next door, kicking a dog. he looked so good kicking that dog, that he was immediately given a contratct to punt in the nfl. -- i swear, if he doesn't improve before final cuts, i'm going to be the next vince papale, but of the washington redskins -- INVINCIBLE PUNTER!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Why is the Redskins seem to be cursed with crappy punters/kickers? Tupa and Hall teased us that first year, but since then we've gone down the drain in that area...

I do believe that Frost has earned a spot on the cut list! If not, it's a pretty sad thing to know that there are no other quality punter/Kickers out there. We've already been through this type of suspense (in past years) of whether a kicker can make a chip shot or punter not shank a punt after the offense has marched down the field or the defense has stopped them...

So you're trying to tell me that the Skins wouldn't blink an eye at having $1.847m dead money in 2006

$3.013m dead money in 2007

$3.262m dead money in 2008

and $3.763 dead money in 2009 all by cutting a player that is better than the other fodder on the roster at the moment and has some possible trade value?

Trust me im no Patten fan by any stretch of the imagination, but that would be foolish.

As a previous poster mentioned, there is no way we'd be paying that much to cut Patten. There's no way Patten received a 10+ million dollar signing bonus. Even if he did, we'd take an immediate cap hit and then be done with him. I'm guessing we'd take a hit of 1-2 million this year and be done with it. Btw, Patten hasn't exactly produced any better than the fodder on this team. I'd sooner give the roster space to Mike Espy and see him continue to develop his kickoff returns. He already looks better than anyone that handled the duties last year.

I say SHOULD Derrick Frost get cut. He shanked another punt, and too many of those will kill us. That being said, I don't know if he will get cut because I'm not sure if Lonie is any better on a consistant basis.

Also, I'm not sure which would be a better TE to keep, Ortega or Johnson. Ortega had made some pretty good catches (including 1 TD). So I think if Johnson is a good blocker, we'll definitely keep him. If he isn't a good blocker, then I'm not sure what will happen. Does anyone know if Robert Johnson is good at blocking?

Pretty much most of the WR's are gone, I think it's obvious why.

We may trade Betts, which I would HATE to see happen. I think Rock stays cuz he apologized for what he said about T.J. Lumsden leaving would be unfortunate but might have to happen. We have depth at RB though, thats for sure.

Also, how has Tyler Jones done compared to John Hall?

QB: Brunell, Collins, Campbell

RB: Portis, Duckett, Betts, Cartwright

FB: Sellers

TE: Cooley, Fauria, Johnson

WR: Moss, Lloyd, Randle El, Thrash, Patten, Farris

T: Samuels, Jansen, Molinaro

IOL: Thomas, Dockery, Pucillo, Rabach, Lefotu, Walter, Albright

K: Hall

P: Frost

DE: Daniels, Carter, Wynn, Evans, Clemons

DT: Griffin, Salave'a, Golston

LB: Marshall, Washington, Holdman, McIntosh, Posey, Campbell, McCune

CB: Springs, Rogers, Wright, Rumph, Jimoh

S: Taylor, Archuleta, Prioleau, Doughty

Hardest guys to keep off the team was Anthony Montgomery. I don't believe in keeping more than 8 defensive lineman and with the versatility our guys posess, it really wouldn't make any sense keeping more than 8. He and Golston are fighting for that last spot. I personally like Montgomery more because he's so big and he didn't go to UGAg.

I kept Walter on the OLine because I think he's the best backup center of the bunch. Plus he can play all 5 positions on the Oline.

I kept Doughty over Curry Burns just because he's the rookie that are guys liked enough to draft.

Sucked letting Boschetti and Killings go because they're hard workers out there but they don't generate any pass rush.

There's only one true fullback on the roster, that could spell trouble.

:laugh: Thanks!

I am a Farris fan. I would like to see him step his game up a little bit but, I say he makes this team.

Farris is like Thrash's little brother. I don't think we keep both.

Have any of you tried creating a mock 53-man roster? It's a lot harder than it sounds. 26 offense, 25 defense and 3 special teams is tough no matter how you slice it. Not much fat anywhere.

5 backs + 5 WRs + 3 TEs + 3 QBs + 10 OL = 26

6 DBs + 4 S + 6 LB + 9 DT/DE = 25

Bonus! Frost only counts as 1/2

Farris is like Thrash's little brother. I don't think we keep both.

Have any of you tried creating a mock 53-man roster? It's a lot harder than it sounds. 26 offense, 25 defense and 3 special teams is tough no matter how you slice it. Not much fat anywhere.

5 backs + 5 WRs + 3 TEs + 3 QBs + 10 OL = 26

6 DBs + 4 S + 6 LB + 9 DT/DE = 25

Bonus! Frost only counts as 1/2

QB: 1) Mark Brunell

2) Todd Collins

3) Jason Campbell

RB: 1) Clinton Portis

2) Ladell Betts

3) TJ Duckett

4) Rock Cartwright

5) Mike Sellers

WR: 1) Santana Moss

2) Brandon Lloyd

3) Antwaan Randle El

4) David Patten

5) James Thrash

6) Jimmy Farris

C: 1) Casey Rabach

2) Ethan Albright

TE: 1) Chris Cooley

2) Christian Fauria

3) Robert Johnson

OG: 1) Randy Thomas

2) Derrick Dockery

3) Jim Molinaro

4) Mike Pucillo

OT: 1) Chris Samuels

2) Jon Jansen

3) Ikechuku Ndukwe

CB: 1) Shawn Springs

2) Carlos Rogers

3) Ade Jimoh

4) Julian Battle

S: 1) Sean Taylor

2) Adam Archuleta

3) Pierson Prioleau

4) Mike Rumph

5) Reed Doughty

MLB: 1) Lemar Marshall

2) Robert McCune

OLB: 1) Marcus Washington

2) Warrick Holdman

3) Roger McIntosh

4) Khary Campbell

5) Jeff Posey

DE: 1) Phillip Daniels

2) Andre Carter

3) Renaldo Wynn

4) Demetric Evans

DT: 1) Cornelius Griffin

2) Joe Salave'a

3) Cedric Killings

4) Ryan Boschetti

5) Anthony Montgomery

K: John Hall

P: Derrick Frost (for now)

Announced today:

Tyler Jones K

David Lonie P

Robert Johnson TE

Jon Alston OL

Jim Jones OL

Kevin Simon LB

Chris Mineo DT

Karon Riley DE

Aric Williams DB

Antuan Edwards S

Casey Bramlet QB

Calen Powell TE

No surprises here

Ah crap, gotta deal with another year of Frost now unless we pick somebody else up :doh:

I'd dump:

Patten

J.Hall (IF Novak is cut :))

MWhite

Frost

Nemo

Definately like to see us keep:

Espy

Farris

Lumsden

Ortega

I guarantee you none of those last 4 guys will make it. And I don't get why people like Farris - he was HORRENDOUS when he played in the regular season last year. I agree that I think I'd rather see Novak than Hall at this point - Hall is starting to smell like Brett Conway all over again - and I DEFINITELY want to see us pick up a new punter before the season starts.

Announced today:

Tyler Jones K

David Lonie P

Robert Johnson TE

Jon Alston OL

Jim Jones OL

Kevin Simon LB

Chris Mineo DT

Karon Riley DE

Aric Williams DB

Antuan Edwards S

Casey Bramlet QB

Calen Powell TE

No surprises here

Where did you find this list????? I see no sighns of cuts and Coach Gibbs said nothing in his press conference.

Archived