Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Jesse Lumsden has a good game this Saturday...ramifications are? (merged)

After the Duckett trade, I dont think it matters, unless someone gets shipped out, Jesse wont see much polaying time. If he does, then maybe he has a shot; CP, Betts, TJ, Sellers and ?. Im thinking 5 RB/FB in total on our roster, that leaves one spot for either Rock (the incumbant and favourite) Jesse and White.

Everyone points out Rocks special team play, but Jesse has seen a lot of practice time with all special teams units, and thats what he personally has been focusing on, he said so in an interview posted here not too long ago. And I heard the game last saturday, didint see it, but all posts on here lead to one conclusion: the ST's sucked and none of the coaches where happy about it. Did anyone notice if either Rock or Jesse was out there, especially on the Kickreturn TD?

I dont think Jesse will make this team for his ball carrying abilities, If he is in a skins uniform come September 11th, he will have shown that he is at least as valuable as Rock either out of the backfield or on ST's with some potential.

Lumsden is gone.

In my view he'd be #6 on the depth chart.......

Portis, Betts/Duckett, Cartwright, Nemo, Lumsden,etc.

Duckett and Betts are safe (I seriously doubt Betts will be traded barring any injury and somebody giving the Redskins something huge ie a #1 or #2 CB or a starter OL/DL)

Rock is safe b/c of his ST ability and he has shown he can fill in a pinch.

Nemo vs Lumsden (if either can make the squad, only 1 will- both might not)

Nemo wins. More experience better STer and still could be on practice squad.

Nope, Lumsden would have to have a stellar game to have a shot and even then probably will still be cut.

Duckett sealed the deal and the injury didn't help.

If Jesse Lumsden plays and has a good game against New England this Saturday, I think that Ladell Betts might be traded. What's a good game? Oh something like playing with and against the 1st stringers and having 10 carries for 50-60 yards against their 1st team.

If Lumsden only has a mediocre or poor game, then I think he probably will be cut later and then be resigned to the practice squad.

I doubt 4 RB's will make the final roster like last year -- Portis, Betts, Cartwright and Broughton (who was mostly inactive on game day).

The Redskins now have 4 quality RB's - Portis, Betts, Duckett and Lumsden, plus two quality FB's - Sellers and Cartwright. So I can't see the Redskins keeping more than a total of 5 RB's. Even as it is, I don't see Broughton and White making the final roster, although I think Broughton still has potential and hope he winds up on the practice squad.

I'm also not so sure the Redskins can resign BOTH Betts and Duckett for 2007, who are in the last years of their contracts. I have doubts that either one wants to be the designated #3 back, although enough money on the table always does wonders.

I like Betts but I doubt he could hold up physically as a starter over a 16 game schedule. He has been too injury prone during his stay here, so if we lose him next year to free agency, I would rather retain Duckett.

What do you guys think? :munchout:

If he does have a big game the best possible scenario in my opinion is that another team picks him up....unless they think he is a special teams ace in Washington.

Come on 10 carries for 50 or 60 yds is this reggie bush now or maybe lawerence maroney. This is a ridicoulous average for a 4th stringer if he could average 5 to 6 yds a carry against the patriots at home i think the colts would of signed him years ago. Get real people.

To answer the question he will be cut.

Come on 10 carries for 50 or 60 yds is this reggie bush now or maybe lawerence maroney. This is a ridicoulous average for a 4th stringer if he could average 5 to 6 yds a carry against the patriots at home i think the colts would of signed him years ago. Get real people.

Yeah he probably will be cu but he is capable of those numbers tomorrow....the guy is a real player, he proved it in camp before he had the hammy problem.

He may very well be cut because of our logjam at RB. Personally I hope Joe Gibbs stashes him on IR (hammy ;))if there is no room for him this year, so he can replace Betts in 2007.

But where have you been the last 25 years? There is nothing unusual about rookie RB's having a good game and averaging 5-6 yards or more per carry. It happens every year and you don't have to be Reggie Bush to do it either.

In fact I believe Lumsden had 6 carries for 36 yards (6 yard avg.) against the Ravens in the recent scrimmage. :doh:

I am sure the same folks that are so upset over Jesse Lumsden are the same ones that were holding a torch for Sultan McCullough a couple of years ago.

Remember McCullough saying when he left that the Redskins would be sorry because he would go elsewhere and be a productive NFL running back?

Well, here we are. Where is he? :)

I am sure the same folks that are so upset over Jesse Lumsden are the same ones that were holding a torch for Sultan McCullough a couple of years ago.

Remember McCullough saying when he left that the Redskins would be sorry because he would go elsewhere and be a productive NFL running back?

Well, here we are. Where is he? :)

Sultan has the ability to play in the NFL -- he rushed for over 100 yards last year in a game in the preseason for the Browns -- but evidently he has an attitude problem which he even had in college, which alienates coaches. Evidently, because he was a track STAR at USC and doesn't realize that in the NFL that doesn't buy you much.

If you will recall, Joe Gibbs first placed Sultan on the practice squad, but then when he started mouthing off publicly in the newspapers about how he was REALLY good and should be on the regular roster, Gibbs cut him.

From what I have read about Lumsden, he is well liked and doesn't have that problem. He just has to prove he is capable at the NFL level.

Hey, I like pulling for kids who are underdogs. Whats wrong with that? :(

So here's a conspiracy theory for you, inmate:

We didn't play Lumsden much last week AND will not again this week on purpose so that he can be cut and nobody else will sign him.

THEN we can sign him to our practice squad. Next year, when Betts gets his nice FA contract, Lumsden will make the team and be a nice backup.

If we play him now and he sparks, somebody else will snatch him up before we can get him to the practice squad.

Hey there. First official post - long time "reader", first-time "poster". Gotta say, you guys love your ball.

I'll start off by saying that I am unabashedly a Lumsden fan. Because of his game, his explosive speed, his character...there has been enough praise of him on this site that I don't need to go on. I'll just confirm that the positives are well-deserved.

I realize why there are so many pulling for Nemo, Rock et al. But I will assure you, if he had played his ball in the US and you would have had a chance to watch him like we did, he'd probably be the top of the list. No disrespect to the guys he's battling with, but there's a reason an entire country is pulling for him. And it's not because we need another Vanderjagt to hold the Maple Leaf.

I think Wally G3 has a point that you need to consider. From Gibbs' perspective, he has an advantage in hiding Lumsden - those that saw his tapes were interested enough to try to sign him, but the Skins' have kept him hidden since camp started. If they wanted him gone, he would have been cut Tuesday.

Don't want him on the practice roster or the IR this season, but with the Duckett signing it's looking likely. So they can keep one of the best kept secrets in the NFL hidden a bit longer...until he's ready to bust out NFL-style.

He is not replacing Betts in 07. This guy is not a NFL back.....PERIOD!

Ahhh.. the famous "It is so because I say it is so."

maybe we should use this always effective ploy more often...

We're winning the superbowl.....PERIOD!

-- lets hope that works!

Only my opinion matters.... PERIOD!

-- that one's gotta work.

Ok skinny 21....I see you have on logic or understanding of what this post really says? With Duckett now on the team, do you really think Lumsden is going to make the sqad? Over Betts? LOL? Next year even? It's not because I said so...it's becasue Gibbs said so with the acquisition of TJ Duckett. How's that for a smart response? Or maybe it really DOESN"T MATTER...because once the final roster is posted....THIS THREAD will read...."If Portis, Duckett, Betts and Cartwright get hurt, and Sellers sprains his knee...will we sign Lumsden? LOL! HAHAHAHAH!!

NO

Ok skinny 21....I see you have on logic or understanding of what this post really says? With Duckett now on the team, do you really think Lumsden is going to make the sqad? Over Betts? LOL? Next year even? It's not because I said so...it's becasue Gibbs said so with the acquisition of TJ Duckett. How's that for a smart response? Or maybe it really DOESN"T MATTER...because once the final roster is posted....THIS THREAD will read...."If Portis, Duckett, Betts and Cartwright get hurt, and Sellers sprains his knee...will we sign Lumsden? LOL! HAHAHAHAH!!

NO

Oh, my bad, I misunderstood. Thought you said he will never be an NFL back, and here I was thinking, "damn, our coaches must be idiots to give a guy a chance that dwills (and a lot of other posters) knows will NEVER be an nfl back"

Oh, and I never said he is an nfl caliber back (although to paraphrase coach williams "all of these guys have talent, they wouldn't be here if they didn't" I also never said that he'll make this team, I just think its silly to make those kind of statements. Then again, I'm the kind of guy that believes in the "never say never" mantra.... I've seen some pretty crazy stuff happen.

To say I will bet my life that lumsden will not make this squad... sure, that's totally reasonable. But to say he is not an nfl caliber back sounds like you're stating it to be fact.

Lastly, sorry to pick you out of the crowd. It's just been ticking me off how many people say either a) he's terrible, or B) he has no chance. I'll fully agree we don't know enough about him and that his chances to make the team are minimal, but come on... there's always a chance. This is not at all limited to Lumsden, I feel the exact same way when people say there's no chance we get rid of betts... well no one expected us to get duckett did they?

Sorry to take this out on you, I know you're only relaying your opinion.

At the end of the day, we may disagree, but we're all skins fans and want what's best for the team, with or without betts, lumsden or any other player on our squad.

The Skins management sort of baffle me. It really kinda baffles me how the Skins can draft and make pick ups. What I mean is I can see if we were in mid season and injuries occurred. These pick ups would seem more justified to me. The regular season hasn't even started and the pick ups and drafted players, they don't even have confidence in them to step in.

They don't feel Jason Campbell is ready. Heavy Compensation for him

Warrick (awful) Holdman is still staring at WLB. I guess Mcintosh isn't ready

Now they''ve picked up T.J. Duckett. So I guess Betts, Cartwirght, Lumsden,Manuel White, Nemiah Broughton etc. aren't suitable backups. Portis at the time signed for a record contract for a RB but he's not a short yardage back. I don't get that. There are those that will say he's small but hell so are Emmitt and Tomlinson for example.

I'll take the wait and see approach. Maybe it'll work out hopefully . :2cents: :rolleyes:

I have never heard so much hype about a running back that hasnt play a regular season down in the NFL. I guess a few years back, we should have kept CHAD DUKES cuz he had a hell of a preseason!! Lumsden hasnt even really done anything yet.

Most people want to see the guy succeed. I would relish at his opportunity, but the facts still remain. He has a depth chart in front of him that no free agent wants to see. Add that to the fact that he hasn't proven himself at all...and the spells CFL.

Archived