Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis was at Practice Sling-less

Mr.Skinbo

CP will be healthy no doubt about it. In a way, we are lucky this happened now, and he's sat out the rest of the preseason to save him for the real games when we will need him most. I know he will bounce back.

Interestingly... FB Nehemiah Broughton's fumble in last weeks game could see him dropped and with Stephen Davis visiting, who knows whos gonna be in the backfield come game opener. How do ppl feel about that?

Portis will be ready for the opening game for sure!

he is going to have 3 full weeks to rest and heal. He is in great shape (minor sublaxion of the shoulder joint won't hinder him at all!

Good news all the waya around.

Also, if S. Davis comes back as a backup role, then another bruiser back can be added and we can cut a couple of the wannabees currently on the roster!

Portis ran around at practice, with no contact but also no sling, thats great news.

The following is a great quote in the POST from Byner----

"Let me tell you something, Clinton is a freak," said running backs coach Earnest Byner. "He's a freak because he wears a wig, but he's also a freak because he has incredible healing powers. I think he's going to be there, back in the mix."

I think Portis should be ready for the opener.

But I also think this is the kind of injury that is going to creep up over and over all year. It's just impossible for running backs to not use their shoulders' date=' and this kind of thing takes a few months of inactivity to completely heal.[/quote']

Finally, someone who doesn't lie to themselves. I agree.

I think Portis should be ready for the opener.

But I also think this is the kind of injury that is going to creep up over and over all year. It's just impossible for running backs to not use their shoulders' date=' and this kind of thing takes a few months of inactivity to completely heal.[/quote']

I'm about to say something that will sound very stupid, but please stay with me...

Mike Golic the day after Portis got hurt didn't seem to think he would be nearly as retarded by this injury as some might think. He was talking about how he suffered that same injury many, many times during his career, and it does in fact get worse over the season and require surgery after. While that didn't sound encouraging, he did mention that the kind of abuse a shoulder endures is very different from running back to defensive lineman. The kind of injury Porits had comes more with defensive players, who place their arms out, and are pushing and pulling. The should can come dislodgded much easier that way.

He made the comparison that Portis will more often than not be covering up when in traffic, IE holding onto the football in the standard five-point grip. He figures he'll be fine like that, and the injury isn't as bad for him as it would be for a lineman. However, that got me to thinking; Portis could be very susceptible to injuring that shoulder in two specific cases. One of those is in pass protection and picking up the blitz, which puts you in a very similar position as a lineman would be in (arms out absorbing a rusher). The other is bracing one's self for impact after having your legs taken out from under you (your hand goes down and your shoulder joint absorbs the impact).

I don't know what to think about Portis' injury. Some people don't fret, but I'm not exactly encouraged. After all, he's had chronic shoulder problems.

I'm about to say something that will sound very stupid, but please stay with me...

Mike Golic the day after Portis got hurt didn't seem to think he would be nearly as retarded by this injury as some might think. He was talking about how he suffered that same injury many, many times during his career, and it does in fact get worse over the season and require surgery after. While that didn't sound encouraging, he did mention that the kind of abuse a shoulder endures is very different from running back to defensive lineman. The kind of injury Porits had comes more with defensive players, who place their arms out, and are pushing and pulling. The should can come dislodgded much easier that way.

He made the comparison that Portis will more often than not be covering up when in traffic, IE holding onto the football in the standard five-point grip. He figures he'll be fine like that, and the injury isn't as bad for him as it would be for a lineman. However, that got me to thinking; Portis could be very susceptible to injuring that shoulder in two specific cases. One of those is in pass protection and picking up the blitz, which puts you in a very similar position as a lineman would be in (arms out absorbing a rusher). The other is bracing one's self for impact after having your legs taken out from under you (your hand goes down and your shoulder joint absorbs the impact).

I don't know what to think about Portis' injury. Some people don't fret, but I'm not exactly encouraged. After all, he's had chronic shoulder problems.

I tend to agree. He's not going to have to extend his arms on every play. And he should be able to protect it most of the time while he's running. And the slings they make today are pretty remarkable. Running the ball, he should be fine.

However, he's a great pass blocker. And there is no way that he can protect himself while doing that. He's certainly going to get thing jarred a few times a game in that situation.

Also, he's a fearless runner and there are going to be times when he forgets to protect it and does something you say - landing awkwardly on it, etc.

He'll be on the injury report all year long. Some weeks will be worse than others. If I had to guess, I would say that he probably misses at least one game this year due to it at some point.

I agree. This is going to be a nagging injury to some extent this year. Folks around here understandably are in a bit of denial. However, the flip side of this is he will have at minimum one complete month to heal prior to playing on it... something Golic didn't get the luxury of. Also, as pointed out by someone they do make some pretty remarkable protective braces/cast/supports these days that can really protect the joint.

I almost prefer Clinton to sit out weeks 1 & 2 anyhow, as I see a win and a loss with or without him. Let's have him back for the Texans all healed up and ready to go.

Archived