Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Portis requires surgery

ez2envy

IMHO

Even Gibbs is overeacting. Pray for Clinton's recovery? What!? Is he gonna die or something? I'm a lifelong, through the hard times, Redskin fan and I want them to win everytime they step on the field but, to resort to praying for a player's recovery, not for the sake of his family but, so we can have a better chance to win a football game...that's ridiculous. :helmet:

You guys have to calm down and chill. This is only the preseason. Springs and Portis should be back for atleast Week 2. Minnesota is a weak opponent, and you should beat them w/out Portis/Springs.

Just calm down, everything's going to be OK. This is the preseason after all.

Well damn if a Cowboys fan just didn't make the most sense out of any post in this thread thus far....shame on all of you!!!

J/K. You're right though man. I think this is all a bunch of hype. I honestly believe that Portis will be back by week 2 at the latest and Springs will be back shortly thereafter.

I think we can handle the Vikes with both guys on the bench....unless they treat us like they did the Giants last year.

Not to reiterate, but wasn't Portis fighting off twin shoulder injuries last year? I dont think it was of this nature, but I remember reading report after report last year of him being questionable for each and every game last year (every week).

Portis is one tough mo-fo. I can guarantee you he will be ready for the season opener.

Well damn if a Cowboys fan just didn't make the most sense out of any post in this thread thus far....shame on all of you!!!

J/K. You're right though man. I think this is all a bunch of hype. I honestly believe that Portis will be back by week 2 at the latest and Springs will be back shortly thereafter.

I think we can handle the Vikes with both guys on the bench....unless they treat us like they did the Giants last year.

Springs will be back for week 2 dallas, believe me he is targeting the Dallas game,his Dad lives there, & CP we'll see game 1 trust me...He's just not feeling the pre-season He'll rehab hard and be ready.

Having been thru a shoulder reconstruction, I know a little about this type of injury. The fact his dislocation was partial and put back in place quickly was a good sign (well, better than some scenarios). Damage to ligaments and muscles hopefully is minor. It usually takes a severe dislocation and bone damage to require immediate surgery.

He could have, however, sustained a tear to the rotor cuff. This would require surgery to fix, but even then he could likely wait till off-season. His problem is going to be when he extends that arm at an angle greater than 90 degrees from his body. His running ability will be little affected, but the joint strength and his confidence in it will come into play when he extends for a catch or ball placement. Sadly, it may affect his receptions for a while.

Aside from cuff damage, even an experienced trainer can assess his level of recovery by simply grasping his bicep and gently twisting his arm to gauge play in the joint. I took me 6 months for my shoulder to feel right after surgery, and almost a full year to have 100% range of motion and strength back. If Portis needs surgery, his ridiculous level of conditioning and his access to rehab resources would cut that time in half or better.

I'm guessing worst case is going to be Portis wears a brace to limit how far he can raise his arm. Further dislocations will be a real bad sign. He should favor his other shoulder for blocking. Often steroids help speed healing in this type of injury, but I don't know if the NFL allows it.

Edit: I should add that I have not examined Portis medically, nor am I a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. I did stay at a Holiday Inn a few months back though.

I know it is human nature to wonder what if. Clinto Portis will not need surgery. He is an athlete in fabulous shape. He will respond to rehab, and strengthening exercise. He will also have a special harness made to protect it during games. The only issue will be if he reinjures it througout the season. At that point he may need surgery during the off season, which then, he will have plenty of time to recover.

Impeccible DC medical source said on Monday 8/14: "if it happens again, he's out for the season; he WILL get it operated on anyway after this season."

Scary. And the shoulder, weakened as it is, be a a target all season.

I dont like talking about things like this but, I would put him on the IR, get him fresh for next year, dont want to wear him down. Betts could fill in and do ok, with more options on offense now, we wont have to rely on the run as much as we have in the past. Portis is the man, we need him, hes going to be fine.

People, I dislocate my shoulder all the time. I've done it in practice when I played little league football and kept practicing and I've done it in practice in high school and kept practicing. And I don't know how many times I rolled over in my sleep and woke up to a dislocated shoulder and still practiced later that day. I even dislocated my shoulder before the dallas game in 04. I watched it, then i went to the hospital. Two weeks later I played in a flag football game.

Now you guys may not be able to tell by looking at me, but I'm no clinton portis, and I didn't get paid millions of dollars to play. Nor did I have a guy named bubba and other top of the line trainers. That being said I think clinton portis could've continued to play on sunday, he could play today if he wanted, and most importantly he will be able to play on sept. 11. Now I'm no doctor and I'm not saying nothing will happen again, but as of right now I think he'll be ready by next month. HTTR

Jeez, people...get a grip...Portis will be just fine...his injury is VERY MINOR compared to what it could have been. It's actually a good thing he's sitting out the preseason...3 less meaningless games to have a season-ending injury in.

I predict he will be ready for Week 1 against the Vikings...though Saunders may give Betts more of the load, and our passing game will be much improved with our upgraded receiver corps. Portis will definitely be 100% and ready to rock hard against Dallas in Week 2, count on it! :cheers:

has anyone else noticed that CP has hurt his shoulders every year since he has been here? i know he is a physical back, and i repect that, but can we afford to have him playing hurt from week 14 on?

It is hard to have 365 carries and stay completely healthy.

That is why it is essential that our QB and recievers actually produce on the field. I can't remember one play last year where Clinton actually made it to the second level of the defense without breaking at least one tackle.

Brunell needs to step up big time - he has every weapon he could ever need.

People, I dislocate my shoulder all the time. I've done it in practice when I played little league football and kept practicing and I've done it in practice in high school and kept practicing. And I don't know how many times I rolled over in my sleep and woke up to a dislocated shoulder and still practiced later that day. I even dislocated my shoulder before the dallas game in 04. I watched it, then i went to the hospital. Two weeks later I played in a flag football game.

Now you guys may not be able to tell by looking at me, but I'm no clinton portis, and I didn't get paid millions of dollars to play. Nor did I have a guy named bubba and other top of the line trainers. That being said I think clinton portis could've continued to play on sunday, he could play today if he wanted, and most importantly he will be able to play on sept. 11. Now I'm no doctor and I'm not saying nothing will happen again, but as of right now I think he'll be ready by next month. HTTR

When your arm is out of joint, do you have a few 300 lb lineman rolling and laying on it? That tears ligaments and muscles and would require immediate surgery. Flag football doesn't count, sorry. If your shoulder is so loose it pops out frequently (been there, done that), you could not even pass an NFL physical without corrective surgery.

Archived