Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Portis requires surgery

ez2envy

IF....then say goodbye to Mr. Portis until 2007:2cents:

they would have to put him on IR because we would need the roster spot

Most likely. He wouldn't even know he needed surgery until a few weeks from now when he realizes in rehab that it's just not responding... and you are talking best case two months from that point. He may be able to return for the playoffs if that is the position the team is in, but I would say regular season is out.

He'd be done for the season or he would most likely risk future continual problems.

If he was a basketball player, or offensive lineman or CB it might be different, but as a RB I'm sure it takes a lot longer.

I would hope, this early in the year, they won't let him go back until risk of future injury that would require surgery would be next to nil.

Lets just REMPHASIZE that you can know you need surgery prerehab, and the injury is about as minor as these types of injuries can be.

It not responding to rehab is the lesser possiblity by far at this point.

There is no tear in the ligament whatsoever, and the joint didn't even fully come out, it just locked in place and went back in.

It all depends. I have had two surgeries on my shoulders. One was major and was minor. Minor one was bone chips in my AC. Major one was a bankart repair. If and God forbid he has any serious tear like I did it would take about 6 months to recover.

What worries me is that his situation is similar to mine. My shoulder popped out of place and I did not take my time recovering. Instead I continued to play sports and lift weights. Well one day while lifting. I felt my shoulder pop out and felt a serious tear. After that I was done.

So I hope that he takes his time to recover. I would rather him not come back until week 3 or 6 and be ready for the playoffs then push himself, tear his shoulder and then be done for the season.

OK from what I've read about his injury, the gist seems to be

There are lots of smaller parts in the shoulder that can get damaged during even a partial seperation. One little muscle, I don't know the name, is the most common to get damaged and if it needs to be repaired via surgery, the recovery is months, not weeks.

On the other hand, Clintons seperated his shoulder before this (in high school?), so while he's much more prone to these things than a normal person would be, it also could occur without the same extent of trauma.

So there is a best case and a worst case scenario. I'm obviously not a doctor. This is just pieced together from other discussions and articles.

The 'best case' is bad news too for Clinton though because his shoulders are jacked up long term either way, and I don't see him slowing down for a while.

To be honest with you I am not really worried about this situation. Like Spearhead said this is probably the best case scenario for these types of injuries. Alot has been reported on this because he is the first big name to go down in a preseason game with an injury. After another big name player goes down this will all pass and the media will be keying on them. Let's just hope the player that goes down is not on our team.

OK from what I've read about his injury, the gist seems to be

There are lots of smaller parts in the shoulder that can get damaged during even a partial seperation. One little muscle, I don't know the name, is the most common to get damaged and if it needs to be repaired via surgery, the recovery is months, not weeks.

On the other hand, Clintons seperated his shoulder before this (in high school?), so while he's much more prone to these things than a normal person would be, it also could occur without the same extent of trauma.

So there is a best case and a worst case scenario. I'm obviously not a doctor. This is just pieced together from other discussions and articles.

The 'best case' is bad news too for Clinton though because his shoulders are jacked up long term either way, and I don't see him slowing down for a while.

I believe the injury he had in high school was his right shoulder.

So I hope that he takes his time to recover. I would rather him not come back until week 3 or 6 and be ready for the playoffs then push himself, tear his shoulder and then be done for the season.

exactly, if this injury was a predestined thing, there was no better game for it to happen in, really.

I would go the first 3 games without CP if it meant that he would be rarin to go for the last 13 and the playoffs.

Archived