Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If Portis requires surgery

ez2envy

An Orthopaedists Opinion

The currently posted media diagnosis is a shoulder separation.

This condition involves the A-C joint(acromio-clavicular joint) and NOT the gleno-humeral joint(ball and cup shoulder joint). This condition is not the same as a "shoulder dislocation".

There exists 6 types of this injury in the current classification. Types I through VI. Two of the types are virtually only seen in high speed motor vehicle accidents

That leaves 4 possibilities for Mr. Portis.

I. mild: no surg

II. moderate: no surg

III. severe: MOST agree no surg

V.(iv and vi are the rare ones) very severe and incidently the only one that we recommend operating on....for the usual population.

Professional athletes frequently DO NOT get the standard of medical care for their injuries like the rest of the population. There are so many other confounding variables (potential future income; needs of the team; etc.) This population will get surgeries, on occasion, to help them return to play prior to their body having fully recovered. Surgeries that are neither offered nor even recommended to the vast majority of the rest of us.

For this injury in Mr. Portis, rehab although important should not be a crucial factor. He is in his prime of physical condition. The bigger issue is protecting the injured/surgical site for proper healing. Two forms of protection need to be addressed. 1. Direct Blow(most important for him) he'll most likely wear a plastic shell over the ACJ under his pads when he returns to play. 2. Shoulder motion causes motion of ACJ; hence pain; hence lesser performance. I can't recall which shoulder this was (R or L) and whether he throws R or L. So you can see this shouldn't be a huge issue. If he were a QB with dominant side injury it could keep him out for up to 4 -6 months...a pitcher an entire season.

A RB with:

a.minor sprain could be back in 1 week.

b.severe/surg sprain could be back as soon as 4 to 6 weeks( but remember these decisions hinge on SO many variables).

Bottom Line: Clinton Portis returns to play WHEN Clinton Portis decides to return. We as physicians only give our recommendations. There IS a difference between when an athlete CAN and when an athlete SHOULD return to play. Frequently, what is best for the team is not what is best for the injured part.

Finally, be very skeptical of what one reads/hears in the media with respect to injuries of an athlete. Certain injuries can have adverse effects on the athletes career....even more than the medical effects to their career.

When your arm is out of joint, do you have a few 300 lb lineman rolling and laying on it? That tears ligaments and muscles and would require immediate surgery. Flag football doesn't count, sorry. If your shoulder is so loose it pops out frequently (been there, done that), you could not even pass an NFL physical without corrective surgery.

sorry i'm a little late. but you're right, flag football doesn't count. no need to apologize, thank you for being so caring though. and you're right, i have never had had any 300 pound men laying or rolling around on my arm. in little league and high school we did play tackle, and the heaviest guy in high school was about 290. but he never layed or rolled on me either. i didn't tear any ligaments, and neither did portis. i'm not saying he can't, i'm just saying he didn't. now if you wanna disagree then that's fine, i'm no doctor. but my arm popped out and i continued to practice after receiving very little medical attention in high school. that's why I THINK clinton portis will be able play in A MONTH after receiving the BEST medical attention money can buy. now you have yourself a lovely day and once again HTTR.

Archived