Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This is for all of the Lumsden Lovers

dwills1

He is overhyped because of where he is from. He did nothing in the sr. bowl yet canadians were happy to see him take a run off tackle for 6 yards and fall down before contact:doh: Just to say he played with the big boys. He is decent but he gets more attention than a lot of decent running backs the guy isn't much better than Sultan.

Please quote accurately...he was the leading rusher on his team in the east west game. I do not think that he is the answer to your problems...he is simply a good young talent that does need a bunch of arm chair QB's disecting him becasue he is canadian....not his fault...give him a break...EH!

He is overhyped because of where he is from. He did nothing in the sr. bowl yet canadians were happy to see him take a run off tackle for 6 yards and fall down before contact:doh: Just to say he played with the big boys. He is decent but he gets more attention than a lot of decent running backs the guy isn't much better than Sultan.

Dumbest thing I've heard so far. First of all, he didn't play in the senior bowl, he played in the east/west shrine game. Secondly, he led ALL rushers on the East team, on only 5 carries, and garnered a vote for MVP of the game.

Hope you feel nice living up in that ivory tower....

Dumbest thing I've heard so far. First of all, he didn't play in the senior bowl, he played in the east/west shrine game. Secondly, he led ALL rushers on the East team, on only 5 carries, and garnered a vote for MVP of the game.

Hope you feel nice living up in that ivory tower....

Struck a nerve witht the Canadian "A" :laugh: Chill out we are all redskins fans. How many yards did he have in the east/west shrine game?

Not for nothing... but Rookie RBs with no "experience" come in the league and do well often. Its not the experience that Im worried about.. its the talent!!! If lumsden or Nemo, or rock are "talent" wise as good as Betts... I say trade Betts right now. It wasnt Nemo's or Rocks fault they did horrible last night... it was the back up O Lineman who were flay out terrible.

Put Nemo, Rock or Lumsden behind the starters, and what would happen? Thats the question that needs to be answered!!!

As of right now... If Portis is lost for an extended period of time... i still think we would be ok... might change the way we do things on O... like more passing to open up running lanes, but if we lose a Lineman... we could be finished!

Struck a nerve witht the Canadian "A" :laugh: Chill out we are all redskins fans. How many yards did he have in the east/west shrine game?

LOL! I understand it's probably not exactly ideal for someone like Jesse to come into an organization as old and storied as the Redskins and have the sort of fanfare he has had....you need to earn that. But that is no fault of his own, and all he has done so far is impress the coaching staff to the point where they can't ignore him, and (given the circumstances that are upon us) he may earn a spot in the rotation.

As for the shrine game - he was 5 carries for 41 yards.

ya right

rock>>>> lumsden... rock has proven to be a effective backup and occassionly fill in for a start or two... heck he got 100 yds off the bench last year as the backup... i think many of you are in love with lumsden due to the fact he is white and maybe he has a chance to be the next john riggins

wooow... so your saying if Rock was in the cfl.. he'd be a beast??.. i like rock.. but he is no #1 and barly a #2 (when did 1 100 yard game in 2 seasons become a great thing)... and lumsden is unproven??.. so if im understanding you.. rock has had better seasons as a 3rd stringer, than lumsden had tearing it up in the cfl as the #1??

just having trouble with the comparison.. doesnt seem close AT ALL

jasse and rock both have "the want to" that i have yet to see in ladell. it would not matter who was runnig the ball behind the 2nd string line they were not going far. also remember this offense is new to all. each week you will see improvement. lets hope cp can play in the next 21 days.

I hope this isn't a response to "fansince62" seeing as how he wasn't responding/talking to you... I would recommend not making generalizations ("apparently we're having trouble reading today", or "knock the cobwebs off folks") because it is really easy to judge and lump everyone together, but almost never accurate to do so. On top of it rarely being accurate, in my opinion it alienates people and causes them to not want to read the next thing you post. :2cents:

With that said, you make a reasonable point... as much as I like rock and nemo, after that game, no one is guarunteed anything. These next few games are going to (potentially) have a real impact on some guys. None of our runners impressed me last night (although I was happy to see White and Sellers playing pretty well). I'm leaving it to the coaches to decide.

The way I've viewed it: If they say they need o-line depth badly enough to trade betts, than so be it. Do I want this to happen in terms of what I've seen so far? No.

We'll see how it turns out.

As Casey would say, "Point Taken" The pace and flurry of posts made me feel that he was responding to me. It was a monday morning after a key injury and alot of RB discussion. I apologize for jumping off the deep end. I just got fired up because I thought it was a response to my post, but a response without paying attention to some of my key points.

But again, I aplogize for jumping off the deep end.

WooT - new avatar!

Jesse Lumsden is still an unknown quantity in the NFL but there have been glimpses of intriguing potential over the past year and a half.

In the 2005 East-West Shrine Game, Lumsden ran 5 times for 41 yards for the East team. Ryan Moats, running behind the same offensive line as Lumsden did against the same West team defence, carried the ball 11 times for 27 yards. Moats went on to play for the Philadelphia Eagles last year and had 55 carries for 278 yards, a 5.1 yard average and 3 touchdowns.

Although it is very difficult to compare the NFL and the CFL, Lumsden had 60 carries for 307 yards and an identical 5.1 yard rushing average while playing for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the CFL in 2005.

Most recently, Jesse Lumsden performed well in the Redskins' scrimmage against the Baltimore Ravens on August 5/06, carrying the ball 6 times for 32 yards for a 5.3 yard average and 1 touchdown.

The best that can be hoped for right now is for Lumsden and the other Redskin running backs to be healthy enough to get a reasonable number of carries in the pre-season games and show what they can do.

While you guys are so high on Mr Lumsden as the next best RB in Washington, I hope tonight served as a gentle reminder why we are fans and not GM's. The talk was that we should trade Betts and get O-line depth with Lumsden as the back up. Rock Cartwright is the most solid all around team player you could want in your locker room. This guy just isn't a NFL starter. If Portis doesn't play another snap in the pre season (which he probably won't); I'm glad that Betts is back there.

It is funny how people on this board think that one scrimmage touchdown can earn you a job in the NFL. This league is about proven talent. Last night, we saw that without a solid proven back-up, you will be in trouble. When Portis took his breaks last year, Betts kept the ground game up to par. Portis often praised Betts for being so consistent, saying that he knew he could take a break without the running game falling off.

If we can't sign Betts next year than so be it, but for this year...we are making a run at the Super Bowl. I don't know about you, but I would take a proven Ladell Betts as my back up in case Clinton gets injured. Relying on an unproven Scrimmage hero to run this team into contention just doesn't seem logical to me. Don't let something so obvious excite you!

You are very luck there is a place for your negative views. I do believe the thread you qoute is stemed from an article in a new york web site talking about players possiblily available for a trade. You put to much on a PREseason game. Back up Olineman dont do as well as starters, and alot of lumnsden lovers are canadian. And playing in the cfl is where sellers came from. So that means a white guy from the cfl can't be any of the same. Myself i look at the cfl as a college sport, and he did damn well. I love portis and i love betts, but dont use a preseason game where they dont play players with small injuries and play backup line men talk down to people that are hopeful for one player. But other than that your probley right but i can't do threads because of bad words toward the cowboys and you post this junk.:doh:

This is looking an awful lot like what happened in Seattle's camp last season... the dude can't make the squad from the trainer's table... I am cheering for the guy, but let's see what the coming weeks bring. Meanwhile, what is the status of Kerry Carter's knee ?

8/14/06 comments by Coach Joe Gibbs:

On whether the Portis’ injury will effect the number of backs the team will carry:

"Anything like that effects the overall make-up of the team. Last year, we carried four running backs, but I think you’re always looking and you see things out there in the future and you’re going to have to change your thought process. You’re going to carry more there or can you still go with four? Those are the kind of questions we are asking and it’s a good point."

So there's still a possibility that we could go with four this year. If not, Lumsdens out. If Lumsden doesn't move the ball in the next 3 weeks he's out. But if he looks good, Coach Gibbs "I think you’re always looking and you see things out there in the future" could have his number on it. We just have to wait and see. Unless knocking down a player who works hard to make OUR team before he's had even a chance to prove himself otherwise is your kinda thing.

Archived