Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This is for all of the Lumsden Lovers

dwills1

While you guys are so high on Mr Lumsden as the next best RB in Washington, I hope tonight served as a gentle reminder why we are fans and not GM's. The talk was that we should trade Betts and get O-line depth with Lumsden as the back up. Rock Cartwright is the most solid all around team player you could want in your locker room. This guy just isn't a NFL starter. If Portis doesn't play another snap in the pre season (which he probably won't); I'm glad that Betts is back there.

It is funny how people on this board think that one scrimmage touchdown can earn you a job in the NFL. This league is about proven talent. Last night, we saw that without a solid proven back-up, you will be in trouble. When Portis took his breaks last year, Betts kept the ground game up to par. Portis often praised Betts for being so consistent, saying that he knew he could take a break without the running game falling off.

If we can't sign Betts next year than so be it, but for this year...we are making a run at the Super Bowl. I don't know about you, but I would take a proven Ladell Betts as my back up in case Clinton gets injured. Relying on an unproven Scrimmage hero to run this team into contention just doesn't seem logical to me. Don't let something so obvious excite you!

While you guys are so high on Mr Lumsden as the next best RB in Washington, I hope tonight served as a gentle reminder why we are fans and not GM's. The talk was that we should trade Betts and get O-line depth with Lumsden as the back up. Rock Cartwright is the most solid all around team player you could want in your locker room. This guy just isn't a NFL starter. If Portis doesn't play another snap in the pre season (which he probably won't); I'm glad that Betts is back there.

It is funny how people on this board think that one scrimmage touchdown can earn you a job in the NFL. This league is about proven talent. Last night, we saw that without a solid proven back-up, you will be in trouble. When Portis took his breaks last year, Betts kept the ground game up to par. Portis often praised Betts for being so consistent, saying that he knew he could take a break without the running game falling off.

If we can't sign Betts next year than so be it, but for this year...we are making a run at the Super Bowl. I don't know about you, but I would take a proven Ladell Betts as my back up in case Clinton gets injured. Relying on an unproven Scrimmage hero to run this team into contention just doesn't seem logical to me. Don't let something so obvious excite you!

Well said! :applause: :applause: :applause:

Well with the injury to Portis this should put an end to the "trade Betts" threads. The question is will Betts be 100% if Portis is miss any reg. season time? If Betts is than I'm more than confident in his abilities. Rock is also capable and I do think that Lumsden has some talent but he still has a lot of refining to do, which is obvious.

I wouldn't be so quick to trash Lumsden, but I'm not making him out to be some savior either, only time will tell.

1. Betts avg. 3.8 ypc last year, that is not getting us to a Super Bowl.

2. Name the year Betts was healthy all year, here's a hint he was at Iowa.

3. I do agree with your statement that people overreact to a good scrimmage run, Lumsden is not the answer, as of today.

4. Rock will not get us to the Super Bowl as a feature back, but he is a solid backup and great team player.

If Clinton is hurt badly then we are screwed. Possibly the yardage of all 3 backs may equal CP but there is not one RB on the roster who can run the way CP does.

I like our current depth at RB. I was suprised Betts didn't get any carries lastnight.

He wasn't ready to go because of his hamstring. He hadn't tested it out prior to the game so we'll see what happens this week leading up to Sat. scrimmage.

Relying on an unproven Scrimmage hero to run this team into contention just doesn't seem logical to me. Don't let something so obvious excite you!

You make it sound as if all he has done is play scrimmage football. And IMHO, a scrimmage touchdown is more impressive than what Rock & Nemo did last night.

Yes the guy is getting a lot of hype, he has awhole country behind him and I have a feeling that many people who dont like him is becasue they have never heard of him.

And where was Ladell last night? told Gibbs he didn't feel right? I dont have any confidence that Betts can stand up to any lengthy time as the backup. If anything the game last night proved that we need Jesse, Rock can cut it as a #3 back, but not if #2 goes down and he has to step up. I felt more confident with Kerry Carter in there, but now with his knee, who do you go to?

I have never though Jesse could step in and take the #2 spot from Betts, and i am vocally one of his strongest supporters, but given a year as the #3, I feel he can step up in his second year and take on the #2/3rd down back role. Any boasting is just support for my boy.

I just cant believe that a guy as nice as Jesse, can have so many haters.

Rock did not look the least bit good last night. I knwo that the blocking wasn't there, but I have not really been impressed with Rock at all. I think the size and youth of Lumsden has some upside. Lets see what he can do in the rest of the preseason games.

Rock didn't look good and neither did Kerry Carter, both can't take all the blame you have to look at the guys blocking for them. If Lumsden played last night he might have had a similar stat line....... Rock 6 att 6 yds Carter 8 att 5 yds :doh:

You make it sound as if all he has done is play scrimmage football.

Yes the guy is getting a lot of hype, he has awhole country behind him and I have a feeling that many people who dont like him is becasue they have never heard of him.

And where was Ladell last night? told Gibbs he didn't feel right? I dont have any confidence that Betts can stand up to any lengthy time as the backup. If anything the game last night proved that we need Jesse, Rock can cut it as a #3 back, but not if #2 goes down and he has to step up. I felt more confident with Kerry Carter in there, but now with his knee, who do you go to?

I have never though Jesse could step in and take the #2 spot from Betts, and i am vocally one of his strongest supporters, but given a year as the #3, I feel he can step up in his second year and take on the #2/3rd down back role.

He is overhyped because of where he is from. He did nothing in the sr. bowl yet canadians were happy to see him take a run off tackle for 6 yards and fall down before contact:doh: Just to say he played with the big boys. He is decent but he gets more attention than a lot of decent running backs the guy isn't much better than Sultan.

I think you've missed something somehow. I didn't see anybody say that they wanted to trade Betts. On the contrary, Just about every post I read was reacting to the story that stated that the Jets might be interested. My take on all the posts, including mine were that trading Betts should only be considered if the price was right. The fact that at the time many people were comfortable with Rock, and Lumsden as a BACK-UP to Portis, does not in anyway mean that they are saying get rid of Betts. With Portis' future in question obviously we can no longer afford even entertaining any trade offers. As far as trading for O-Line depth, after seeing our back-ups last night I think a strong case can be made that we need some quality depth.

Rock didn't look good and neither did Kerry Carter, both can't take all the blame you have to look at the guys blocking for them. If Lumsden played last night he might have had a similar stat line....... Rock 6 att 6 yds Carter 8 att 5 yds :doh:

Did I not say that the blocking was not there? This was the first preseason game and nothing can be taken too seriously here except that Portis is hurt. But if you really think that Rock is anything more then depth for the RB position I think your crazy. I've seen what Rock can do, but I havent seen what Lumsden can do yet. How bout we give him a chance against the JETS?

For the record, I don't "hate" Lusmden. I am simply stating the point that Betts is a better back, and the Jesse has done nothing to prove he is a quality NFL back. Betts is injured, but when the regular season starts, he will be our #2. The reason being he's a proven talent in this league. Anyone remember the 90 yd kickoff return for a TD vs. tampa? It's the big things like that in which he brings to the table. I don't "hate" on any football player. As a Washington Redskins fan and loyal supporter for as long as I could see the game, I don't want to hear about some unproven scrimmage hero that hasn't proven anything as our solution for trading Betts. Yes we need o-line depth, but a quality back up RB is more important in this league then a quality back up o-linemen. All the good teams in this league have 2-3 starter caliber backs. And for the record, Canadian football doesn't compare to the level played in the states....sorry

Yes, I remember he has had a few good games, but he is certainly not a sollution beyond a few carries a game. Do you not remember hearing about what Jesse Lumsden has done in the CFL on a regular basis? We all know that the CFL is not the NFL, but it sure aint pop warner either. I mean look at some of the NFL guys that have gone to the CFL, they didn't have half the production of Jesse. I am not saying this guy is the new Riggo, but why the hell not give him a shot in a game scenario since what he did in the scrimmage apparently means nothing. If I am not mistaken Ramsey had some really good games under spurrier, but we know that doesn't mean he was still a good fit here.

"While you guys are so high on Mr Lumsden as the next best RB in Washington, I hope tonight served as a gentle reminder why we are fans and not GM's. The talk was that we should trade Betts and get O-line depth with Lumsden as the back up. Rock Cartwright is the most solid all around team player you could want in your locker room. This guy just isn't a NFL starter. If Portis doesn't play another snap in the pre season (which he probably won't); I'm glad that Betts is back there.

If we can't sign Betts next year than so be it, but for this year...we are making a run at the Super Bowl. I don't know about you, but I would take a proven Ladell Betts as my back up in case Clinton gets injured. Relying on an unproven Scrimmage hero to run this team into contention just doesn't seem logical to me. Don't let something so obvious excite you!"

uhhh.....not quite. the argument was that O-line depth was more important than RB depth FOR THIS TEAM AND ITS ROSTER. I have just the opposite take on last night's game - without O-linemen who can open a hole...it doesn't matter who is playing RB....aint nothin gonna happen. your whole argument is based on the idea that none of our first string o-linemen are gonna get hurt.

Apparently we're having trouble reading today: I have said that I know the blocking was suspect but then get called out becuase I didn't place any blame on the blocking. I then said that the CFL is certainly not the NFL, but yet I need to be reminded that the cfl <<< NFL.

UGH, knock the cobwebs off folks! Lumsden deserves a shot. Betts is #2. Rock may be a favorite around here, but I'd say that his roster spot is anything but cemented.

Archived