Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS sporstline: Redskins: Five things to know by Clark Judge

Dirk Diggler

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9594675

ASHBURN, Va. -- Observations from Redskins camp.

1. Next time I'm sick, I'm calling David Patten's physician. The wide receiver is back at practice after missing only a week with viral meningitis. Amazing. I figured he would miss several weeks. Instead, Patten returned to practice Monday and is there this week -- albeit weaker than he was a month ago -- catching passes and running through drills with teammates. "You've got to give the guy a lot of credit for what he's done," said an assistant. Patten is the club's fourth receiver, behind, in order, Santana Moss, Brandon Lloyd and Antwaan Randle El.

2. If there's a danger zone here, it's the offensive line, and I'm not talking about the front five. They're fine. It's the reserves that should concern the Redskins, particularly at backup tackle. Until Monday, the first tackle off the bench was Jim Molinaro, who played in 15 games in two seasons. But Molinaro is out with a bad knee (torn cartilage) and is expected to miss two to three weeks. That means the next in line is ... Jon Alston? Maybe Chris Pino? How about ex-CFL product Jonta Woodard? Try Tyson Walter, a free agent the club signed earlier this year. He's expected to take Molinaro's place in Washington's first preseason game. If I'm Joe Bugel, offensive line coach, I'm hanging onto Ray Brown's phone number.

3. The most intriguing offseason move was the addition of defensive end Andre Carter, whom San Francisco unsuccessfully tried at linebacker last year when it moved to the 3-4. Bad idea. The guy has talent and is back where he belongs -- at right defensive end in a 4-3. Look for him to rush the passer and be more like the guy who had 12½ sacks in 2002 than the one who dropped to 6½ the past two years. "I look at this as a new beginning," said Carter, who is a starter. "I'm very much reenergized, but I don't think I have to prove myself. I know what kind of player I am. I know I have a good work ethic, and I know I'm very coachable. You put those two things together, and the sky's the limit."

4. No longer is there anything called an H-back in Washington's offense; now Chris Cooley is a tight end, and, yes, that's a good thing. First of all, the guy catches everything -- with his 71 catches last year first among NFC tight ends; second, he can be listed as a tight end -- instead of fullback -- on Pro Bowl ballots; and third, and most important, he's with an offensive coordinator who knows how to find tight ends. That would be Al Saunders, and look what he did in San Diego: Kellen Winslow was a Hall of Fame tight end, while Eric Sievers and Pete Holohan were effective as backups. Now look what happened in Kansas City: Tony Gonzalez is a future Hall of Famer and already is the Chiefs' career leader in receptions. I'm considering Cooley early in my next fantasy draft.

5. Todd Collins is the backup quarterback, not Jason Campbell. That doesn't mean Campbell, a first-round draft pick, won't emerge as the No. 2 eventually. But Collins is Saunders' safety net from Kansas City -- with Collins serving as the backup there to Trent Green -- and he will help Campbell absorb Saunders' system. "If Jason progresses quickly," said Saunders, "when (Campbell) plays and when he's ready will depend on his progress."

Why I like this team

Because it has Saunders coaching the offense, and Gregg Williams coaching the defense. Next time I'm in a fight, I'd like to have these guys by my side to figure a way out.

Why I don't like this team

Because I don't know how much more we can expect from Mark Brunell at 36 (his birthday is in September). If something happens -- and, yeah, I know you can say the same thing about Peyton Manning or Eli Manning or a dozen other quarterbacks in this league -- but if something happens to him, what happens to the Redskins? A playoff run behind Campbell? I don't think so.

Why I don't like this team

Because I don't know how much more we can expect from Mark Brunell at 36 (his birthday is in September). If something happens -- and, yeah, I know you can say the same thing about Peyton Manning or Eli Manning or a dozen other quarterbacks in this league -- but if something happens to him, what happens to the Redskins? A playoff run behind Campbell? I don't think so.

at least he admits that you can use that same excuse for a bunch of other teams in the league. but i think this was a really good article and got me even more excited about this season, if that's even possible :D

Unbiased, truthful, not sure why he lead off with Patten as the number 1 thing that seemed more of a sidenote, but nothing we haven't heard a hundred times before. WP just came out with an article entirely on the fact that Cooley is now a TE instead of an H-back.

Im more worried about our kicking situation then I am about our QB situeation. I have a good bit of confidence in Collins if Brunell goes down. Between Collins, Brunell, and Campbell, we can get the job done at the end of the day. I believe we can win games with any of them, and thats no over confidence of our QB's, its realizing the talent on our team, both sides of the ball. (Think Baltimore of 2000) John Hall is the teams weak link. Those games that come down to a field goal are going to scare the holy hell out of me.

Im more worried about our kicking situation then I am about our QB situeation. I have a good bit of confidence in Collins if Brunell goes down. Between Collins, Brunell, and Campbell, we can get the job done at the end of the day. I believe we can win games with any of them, and thats no over confidence of our QB's, its realizing the talent on our team, both sides of the ball. (Think Baltimore of 2000) John Hall is the teams weak link. Those games that come down to a field goal are going to scare the holy hell out of me.

I really hate that comparison. That Baltimore team got by smoke and mirrors and the weakest schedule of any Super Bowl winner to date. I'd like to think if of us as more...legitimate. Sorry Baltimore fans (not really)

The kicking game is easily one of my top 5 worries, along with O Line depth. I seriously think Collins would be pretty good in a 2-3 game stretch, and at least to finish out a game. If Campbell proves he's ready, that would be even better.

John Hall and our punter both scare the hell out of me. If Gostkowski from New England gets beat out, I'd bring him in for a look.

Interesting article on the O line and Bugel from the Virginia Pilot

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=108978&ran=72775

Bugel has enough confidence in the starters and his ability to develop quality subs that he has raised the number of pass-protection schemes to 35. Last year, he said, there were about 10.

"We were worried about tackle," he said. "Outside of Jansen and Samuels, we had a little concern. But since these other kids have come along, I'm saying I'm real happy right now."

If Bugel is happy, I sure am not sad about the line.

Pretty fair. You know what I find interesting? A few years there was a growning trend where the QB position was mitigated by the press. The mantra was to have a QB not lose the game for you.

Slowly the media is hopping back to the idea that you need a bona-fide stud at QB to make any noise. The "Tom Brady" effect maybe. Big Ben isn't a tremendous QB in this league yet. He is athletic and he can manage a game. Give him a running game and a great defense and he can get you a ring.

I think any QB could lead this team with the weapons in the passing game, workhorses in the running game, great starting 5 offensive line and a near dominant defense.

Archived