• Priest Holmes
    • Ricky Williams
    • Drew Bledsoe
    • Tom Brady
    • Michael Vick
    • Donovan McNabb
    • Other (who?)

ToadTitan: what?

There is no way we blow anyone out here. Spurrier says he needs to give Weurffel a full opportunity, so how long is that? That's at least a quarter or two of complete hell if he's playing terrible. My hope is that he doesn't destroy all hopes of winning the game by the time he comes out.

Anyone remember that debacle at the last game in Three Rivers Stadium a couple year back with Robiskie at head coach? That was one of the most unsatisfying games ever in my opinion. I can see this game going that way if Weurffel plays like Weurffel plays. With Weurffel's horrendus pocket presence, what if he gets nailed and is out of the game? Then, we've seen how rookie QB's can take shots because of lack of experience and know how on when to get rid of the ball.

What if both get injured? We don't have Brian Mitchell anymore to come in and take snaps. Who's 3rd string?

The way I see it, Wuerffel looks blessed and we gain some confidence from that defensively and we win pretty easily at, say, 24-13. Or, Wuerffel looks like Wuerffel and Ramsey is a rookie and we fall, behind another hesitant defensive performance, 23-10 or so.

I'm taking the win on it though because I have the same record picking as the Redskins have playing :).

This is a game that if played later in the year would probably be an easy victory for us. With their injuries, assuming they experienced them later in this hypothetical, our defense would likely be roughly where you imagine it will end up and that would probably be enough of an advantage in this game to give us the edge.

As it is, we're pretty unclear what to expect from either unit. The defense will eventually step up. Will it start stepping up this week? If yes, we win. If no, we lose. Wuerffel would have to be very bad to change the fact that our defense has to win or lose our games.

Over the last three years, the Ravens and the Titans have split. Tennessee has not had very good offensive days in those games. The best yardage output was 353 in 1999 in a 41-14 loss in which they got some yards as the Ravens eased off the throttle.

The most points they scored was 23, and that was in another loss in 2000. If Lewis can get the Redskins working and figuring out what the system calls for, he has proven his system does pretty well against the Titans over the last few years.

Redskins just don't have enough playmakers on offense to pull out 'must' wins on the road. I don't see Wuerffel to Gardner and Lockett putting more than 14-17 points on the board unless we get turnovers, and we haven't gotten many from our D so far.

I don't think this is going to be a blowout like the past two games, but McNair, another mobile quarterback is going to bedevil the Skins with passes to Wycheck, George and the receivers against our safeties and his running on short yardage downs.

Look for the Skins to be up say 14-10 at halftime but fail to close the deal in the fourth quarter when the Titans push it up a notch and score 14 to win 24-17.

The unfortunate thing about this game is Davis COULD be a weapon to use to level the field literally as he was in Week 1, but I think the accent is going to be on getting the passing game in gear and Davis is once again going to be held to 14-15 carries, which won't be enough for him to wear on the Titans' D.

If Joe Gibbs, Parcells or Jimmy Johnson had their hands on Davis they would be running him 25-30 times a game and allowing the qb's to use play action to try and get those one or two big plays a game out of the receivers.

Not a one would be looking for Matthews or Wuerffel to go out there and try to dissect a defense on their own abilities.

I wanted this to go on record:

Weurffel - 15/20 for 250 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT.

Stephen Davis - 30 carries for 135 yards and 2 TDs.

Davis is going to be the key in this game. Weurffel will be there to hand it off and make defenses pay when they stack the line to stop the run.

Archived