Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs And Training Camp

RiggoReincarnated

What was your take when Gibbs said yesterday "I want to have 12 more 2 a days, but I don't think the players would go for that"

Isn't Gibbs the guy in charge calling the shots? If we need more 2 a days in order to get things down or condition some of the players who aren't in the best shape, and build mental toughness, why aren't we having them?

I just don't get it, Gibbs used to run tough camps back in Carlisle, and I worry that watering down this camp too much may backfire in the long run.

Well what was his tone? Was he laughing? Sometimes he says things jokingly. Remember this recent quote: "I've finally figured out the best strategy in this business is to let someone else do your job." Now, he said that in jest about Al Saunders, cause he was laughing when he said that, but if you just quote him literally it can be miscontrued.

Isn't Gibbs the guy in charge calling the shots?

I think the answer to this is no, Gibbs is no longer calling the shots...he's just a figure head and has since let the players run the asylum. There is no coordination down there at all, with the guys playing poker when they should be doing drills...it's a mad mad mad mad world I tell ya!

You're right, Riggo. We should be letting you call the shots out there.

Um, other teams with Super Bowl aspirations are running much tougher camps then we are this year.

If you don't get used to hitting and the mental toughness of 2 a days, you can't just switch it on during a game.

Plus the scrimmage showed that we have lots we need to still improve, and 2 a days give twice as much practice.

Well what was his tone? Was he laughing? Sometimes he says things jokingly. Remember this recent quote: "I've finally figured out the best strategy in this business is to let someone else do your job." Now, he said that in jest about Al Saunders, cause he was laughing when he said that, but if you just quote him literally it can be miscontrued.

He seemed like he was half-joking, half-serious.

I think the answer to this is no, Gibbs is no longer calling the shots...he's just a figure head and has since let the players run the asylum. There is no coordination down there at all, with the guys playing poker when they should be doing drills...it's a mad mad mad mad world I tell ya!

IT'S MADNESS IN ASHBURN!!! MADNESS I SAY!!! :2drunks: :D

The players are in condition, they have been at the park all offseason, if you remember the reason they aren't haveing 2 a days is because they had 98% participation in the off season program. I believe by the time the season actually starts this team will be ready.

lol I never said he wasn't calling the shots.

Its just that if you try too hard to be popular and cave in to what the masses want then its not usually the best result.

If Gibbs thinks we need more 2 a days then we really need to have them and the players have to be willing to suck it up.

Um, other teams with Super Bowl aspirations are running much tougher camps then we are this year.

Ummm, those other teams didn't get 98% attendance in their offseason programs like the Skins did I bet.

As far as the way Gibbs runs camp and that it may backfire, how did that work out during November and Dec last year? :)

What was your take when Gibbs said yesterday "I want to have 12 more 2 a days, but I don't think the players would go for that"

Isn't Gibbs the guy in charge calling the shots? If we need more 2 a days in order to get things down or condition some of the players who aren't in the best shape, and build mental toughness, why aren't we having them?

I just don't get it, Gibbs used to run tough camps back in Carlisle, and I worry that watering down this camp too much may backfire in the long run.

I agree. I think that his camp is a little soft this year. But what the hell do I know:whoknows:

Didn't Gibbs run alot more 2 a days last year?

Not anymore than what they're doing this year, if I remember correctly. He also started camp as late as possible last year too to reward the guys for all their hard work and attendance of all the camps too.

I see no problem in how camp has been run(who am I to argue with a man with three Lombardi's?). It's efficient and it works.:)

He seemed like he was half-joking, half-serious.

Sort of like this thread, right? One hopes?

I agree. I think that his camp is a little soft this year. But what the hell do I know:whoknows:

If I may ask ... what are you basing this on?

lol I never said he wasn't calling the shots.

Its just that if you try too hard to be popular and cave in to what the masses want then its not usually the best result.

If Gibbs thinks we need more 2 a days then we really need to have them and the players have to be willing to suck it up.

Are you kidding me? TRy to hard to be popular? When has Gibbs done ANYTHING to be popular? Gibbs could have put Ramsey in week 4 2004, but did he? He could havedone so many things, which is one reason why he is so highly criticized.

Not to mention training camp the other night when half the team was gathered around a big screen TV under one of the goalposts and sipping lattes...I was hopping mad.

Seriously. Playerw are working out and participating in team stuff nearly year round now. Very much different than back in the day when they came to training camp out of shape. They needed two a days for conditioning. That is no longer the case with todays athletes. Besides, I can point to coaches from the killer practice group, and the laid back group that have won SB's. I don't know if this years camp is any easier than last years. But I'll bet against anyone who believes Gibbs is not doing what he wants in regards to practice intensity and frequency.

Jeez, Riggo. He is a proven winner who, even you have to admit, has turned things around immensely. Why do you constantly look for thinks to be concerned over? Sit back and enjoy the ride. Eventually you might have a Gibbsian Moment and chill.

• 4 months later...

He better run the toughest training camp in the history of the team this summer. I don't care if half our starters come out injured, he needs to keep riding them until the preseason. At this point, it's a matter of principle. This is a weak team and it shows on the field. It's sad to see how well crappy teams like the jets and the titans are doing, and we can barely muster 5 wins. It's all about toughness, and we have none.

Archived