Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DirecTV / NFL Sunday Ticket

radagast5

Does anyone have any insight as to how DirecTV manages to monopolize NFL Sunday Ticket?

Certainly companies like Time-Warner, or Cox Cable (say nothing of the huge telephone companies like Verizon and AT&T who are now entering the TV arena) have the ability to offer ridiculous money to carry NFL Sunday Ticket. So I'm left wondering how a comparatively small company like DirecTV gets away with an exclusive contract with the NFL.

I'm hopeful that because they're providing cable TV through a modem (and in Verizon's case an entirely proprietary fibre-optic network) that companies like Verizon or AT&T will not be technically classified as "Cable TV" companies. The thought being that they'd fall outside of DirecTV's exclusive agreement.

Surely the NFL (or whomever controls NFL Sunday Ticket) realizes that their subscription rate would grow exponentially if they allowed all cable TV providers the opportunity to broadcast their NFL package.

The Sunday Ticket is the greatest thing ever for football fans. I will never miss a skins game again. And D* paid a ton of money for exclusive rights and reupped the deal last year that I believe is until 2011. I have D* just to get the ticket.

DirecTV has the exclusive contractual rights with the NFL to air all NFL games via sattelite outside of home markets.

DirecTV paid billions for that right. Once the re-negotiations happen, someone will have to step up and "buy" those rights out of DirecTV's hands (ala FOX and CBS some many years ago).

DirectTV picture quality here is about 1000 times better than cable TV. I'm sure that people in the larger cities have good cable, but for me its no contest.

Sunday Ticket is a very nice package, which I would buy in a heartbeat were it available on something else than DirecTV. I've had DirecTV (5-6 years ago) and didn't like it. Too many service interruptions due to weather anomalies, etc.

As for the picture quality, I now have Verizon FiOS which is a completely proprietary fibre optic network. It's an all-in-one system (broadband internet, phone, cable TV) that will, when it's fully up and running, have the ability to upload/download at a rate of 1GB (yes, gigabyte) per second. The picture on it is phenomenal, the number of channels unsurpassed as far as I've seen, and the Pay Per View / Video on Demand options are flat-out ridiculuous. FiOS has only been rolled out in select areas in Texas and Florida, but when it becomes available elsewhere, I highly recommend looking into it.

Hopefully, when the current NFL/DirecTV contract expires, a nonexclusive agreement will be put in place so those of us who don't want to get DirecTV don't have to buy it to get NFL Sunday Ticket.

Direct TV was smart enough and bold enough to pay a big price for the exclusive rights a few years ago which was a risk. They are reaping the profits of that decision now. Cable Companies won't pony up that kind of money because their more interested in putting money into Internet and Phone services.

I'm not saying it wasn't smart for DirecTV to take that big risk. I'm just surprised that the NFL bought into it, because I have to think their subscription rate would rise exponentially (tenfold at least) if all the cable markets had it available. Hopefully, the NFL realizes this when the contract comes up for renewal in 2007.

I have questions about DirecTV, I will be out in Flagstaff, AZ by the 21st and I will be getting DirecTV/sunday ticket to watch the Redskins...

1. What is the setup like...Do they come to your house and bolt down the dish somewhere for you, or do they just give you the dish and let you figure out where to put it?

2. Has anyone who rents their house had any trouble with the owners in relation to the DirecTV? ...I dont really want to get the dish installed and see that it damages something when removed...is this the kind of thing I would have to ask for permission from the owner in writing before I got it installed?

But what about the house? It says on the directv site that they will probably have to drill a hole through the wall, so I guess I should get written permission to install it beforehand...hell I may even want the guy present when they install it huh? Anyone here rent a house or apartment?

I have had DTV and the NFL ticket for aboout 6yrs. I do agree with the guy that started this thread but I must say I love the service. I haven't missed a game in 6yrs.

I have 2 complaints though.

One, the price. You would think that being a customer for all these years that I would get a much better price than the new guy that just signed up. I'm paying over $100 more now then I did when I first got it.

Two, the HD. I went out last year and spent over $5G's to watch the games in HD. I flip on the season opener just to find out I had to spend another $100 for the "Superfan" to see the games in HD. After arguing with them for much of the 1st half I gave in. The worst part of this is that I use the "Superfan" feature for nothing more than the HD.

I could be wrong, but I think the same person that owns Fox also owns Directv. That is why a company so relatively small can afford to pay that massive price for exclusive rights. If you think about it, it's actually pretty cheap for him to broadcast the ticket since the CBS, ESPN, and NBC games are the only ones he doesn't already have to rights to broadcast.

I bought Sunday Ticket when it first came out. It was $99 and I had it on my 10 ft. C-band satellite dish. I had it for about six or seven years and DirecTv got it exclusively. I haven't had it since, but I want it. I'd just like to have it on digitial cable. My wife worked for Charter (sold to Cebridge which renamed itself SuddenLink) and we get our cable for free. Packages like ESPN Gameplan I still have to pay for, so I'd gladly purchase it if it were available. I bought a Sirius Sportster a few months ago so I could listen to the Redskins if they weren't on local cable, and now the games will be free on XXX ESPN. You never know which way to turn. If you want it on cable, and a LOT of cable subscribers do, write your cable company AND the NFL and express your wishes. If enough people write, they'll listen. The cable companies will find some $$$...and so will the NFL. I'd like to buy a "Redskins Ticket" for $99 and just get the Redskins games.

But what about the house? It says on the directv site that they will probably have to drill a hole through the wall, so I guess I should get written permission to install it beforehand...hell I may even want the guy present when they install it huh? Anyone here rent a house or apartment?

If you live in an apartment, check your lease or with the main office about putting up the dish. they may tell you to attach it to the balcony railing or in my case in FLA, they wouldn't let me at all.

If you rent a house, call the person who owns it to see if it is alright. If you have cable, they can just go in throught the existing cable lines.

BTW, were all 'Skins games in HD last year?

I can't recall a 'Skins game NOT in HD last season. As a network, CBS had the fewest HD NFL games last season - but I believe whenever the 'Skins were on CBS (hosting an AFC team) they were still one of their HD games.

I could be wrong, but I think the same person that owns Fox also owns Directv. That is why a company so relatively small can afford to pay that massive price for exclusive rights. If you think about it, it's actually pretty cheap for him to broadcast the ticket since the CBS, ESPN, and NBC games are the only ones he doesn't already have to rights to broadcast.

Yes, you're right, DirecTV is owned by News Corp., owned by Rupert Murdock, which ownes Fox Network, Fox News Channel, the Fox Movie studio, and many other entities

And that mean they have piles of cash to buy things, so don't be surprized if when the new deal comes up in 2012, DirecTV still has total control over the NFL Sunday Ticket

Archived