Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Randle El overrated?

gostanford

i agree that randle el is overrated but i also think that patten is certainly not better than him. i agree with the Moss, Lloyd, Randle El, Patten... etc

What is it that makes you think he is overrated? I am trying to find all these analysts and experts and mediots who are acting like he is more than he is?

Randle El is only overrated if the argument is whether he is a top receiver in the NFL.

Of course based on his numbers he has not to this point been a top player.

What he has been using a comparison to the NBA is a top 'sixth man'........a guy that comes off the bench and gives a team a boost offensively with his punt returns, catches, runs and throwing ability.

Yes, for the contract he signed it was a rich deal for a 40 catch receiver.

But for the Redskins, whose receipts are the highest in the NFL, why not make this move to gather in a player that can help win a championship? :)

Let's not pretend this hasn't happened in the past.

Teams regularly bring in veteran players that fit a particular niche to help them win in the postseason.

"And kicks just keep getting harder to find."

---Paul Revere and The Raiders.

:silly:

Listen Gumbo...I don't know if you're just trolling or intimating that El has failing eyesight but he has never had a problem finding kicks in the past so they shouldn't be "harder to find" in the future. What may apply though is..

"And kicks just keep getting harder to return"

because he's going from the Cowher system of special teams to the Danny Smith system and Danny Smith may be the worst ST coach of all time. You see when he was hired by Ray Rhodes as the Eagle's ST coach Rhodes didn't check his resume closely and didn't notice that he coached Special Olympics and not Special Teams at Edinboro State. Smith belongs in a coaching meeting with Gibbs Saunders and Williams about as much as Ruth Bader Ginsburg belongs among the Juggies on The Man Show.

Please stop this nonsense...El is a competitor (ala Gary Clark) and will star as a starter or a part-timer. Of course I got a chance to watch him carry his college team on his back for 4 years so I am biased...but...in my opinion, easily the best acquisition of the 2nd Joe Gibbs era.

:logo:

:laugh:

I understand that he played for Indiana but damn dude. You seem to forget about players like Marcus Washington, Santana Moss, Clinton Portis, Mark Brunell...I think you get the point.

What is it that makes you think he is overrated? I am trying to find all these analysts and experts and mediots who are acting like he is more than he is?

I think it's just the fact that he got an $11 million bonus to be a kick returner and spot wideout. Hell I thought Chad Morton was overpaid. :laugh:

:laugh: :rotflmao:

Man my house was so humid until I read that, your wit so dry and harsh it sucked the moisture right out of the room!

I'm sorry man but NOBODY I mean NOBODY runs a 40 sideways the same speed they run it from a sprinting position. That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while.

Here are the things that I remember from the time the Steelers drafted EL....they were things that really stood out.

He was timed at around 4.42 seconds in the 40, but it was his quickness and elusiveness that made him stand out. At the combine he was tested in the cone drill and his time was so fast that scouts thought they mistimed him. So he did it again, and his time was even faster.

When he ran his lateral 40...it was slower than his straight ahead...but not by much...and again was asked to run it again.....and again ran a very impressive run (I should not have typed that it was exactly the same...but my point was that it was so close...no one believed it)

and at 5-10....his hands were the same size at 6-5 Plaxico Burress

HACK

Thanks a lot Pocono...looks like I'll have to wait for breakfast to eat again.... :puke:

Come on....Justices on trampolines.....Picture it....Aren't folks like you from SF used to seeing the unusual?

BTW....For those thinking El will come in here after leaving the Steelers and run wild on punt returns. Here are the results of Danny Smith's work in Washington and the two years before that with Williams in Buf.

02 30th 5.2 yds per return

03 31st 6.0

04 20th 7.9

05 28th 6.0

02 30th 5.2 yds per return

03 31st 6.0

04 20th 7.9

05 28th 6.0

Danny Smith has had such gamebreaker returners as Nate Clements, Charlie Rogers, James Thrash and Antonio Brown in the past five years. It's not all about how you set up the return. In fact, with punt returns more so than kickoff returns, the pure athletic and return capabilities of your ball carrier are the biggest factor after your opponent's punter's skill. Danny Smith hasn't had anyone with Randle El's potential.

I'm not saying Randle El isn't overrated and overpaid, but he's still a definite upgrade over what we've had here both at wideout and at returner. Granted, he's only got a 9.5 career punt return average over four years, but he's got four punt return touchdowns (and a kick return touchdown the only season he did so full time) which counts for something in my book.

Theory: Maybe that #82 jersey still has some of Antonio Brown's soul attached to it....was it the pre-season game last year when he dropped like 4-5 balls? Man....then the fumble vs. the Bears in week 1.....seriously, ARE better have a priest stop by Ashburn and sprinkle some of that Holy Water on his jersey to get the demons out....

Do not forget this TD return against Arizona that couldn't have come at a better time. We were playing like **** that game and that pretty much was the catalyst for our winning streak

Im not sure if you all's aware of this but, according to most Steeler fans i've talked to, Randle 'El was the most UNDER thrown receiver in the NFL! For some reason Big Ben could never really hit him in full stride, which says to me that this guy is really quick and fast because Ben has a arm! Anyone remember this play last year in the playoffs? http://www.stillustronic.com/PIonEl.movRandle 'El flew right past Marlin Jackson but because the ball was under thown it wasn't a touchdown.

(Btw, you need quicktime in order to download this video. You can download it here http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/win.html)

My hope is that he will fit in nicely with the organization. If he is overrated, then it will show and adjustments will be made to compensate for that. I am just glad that we have more than just two receivers from last year (Moss, Cooley) to help open up the middle and provide opportunities for more deep pass options.

:helmet: :logo:

Archived