Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jim Rome Takes it to the Boys

SkinsNoles21

Ah, the things that help Dallas fans sleep at night - the yardage rankings. Know who was the only team to rank in the top 10 in both offense and defense according to the rankings??? Not Dallas or Washington. Not Pittsburgh or Denver or Carolina. The 6-10 Arizona Cardinals.

Perhaps some day the NFL will find a more relevant way to "rank" offense and defense. Points seems to be a good place to start since that's how games are won. :doh: Plus you might want to consider how the two defenses played down the stretch when the money was on the line. One showed up each and every week- the other was inconsistent.

Zimmer's "#1 rated" defense took advantage of a joke of schedule that year. Even still their success was a fluke as evidenced by what happened in 2004. Had 2004 been considered the fluke, then you wouldn't have changed philosophies now would you?

So your defense showed up when the Giant Destroyed you 35-0 , right?

(waiting for the weak excuse on how the Giants we playing inspired football becasue their owner died.)

(waiting for the weak excuse on how the Giants we playing inspired football becasue their owner died.)

Every team has at least 1 game. We did beat em when it counted the most down the stretch w/ 6 wins in a row.

I hope Dallas can at least show up the next game. 35-7, come on. You guys are ranked higher then any team :rolleyes:

Can't wait to see Dallas fans faces after our next matchup. Last year, Dallas fans look like somebody died after we came back and won, on MNF. The look on there faces after that game, well, lets just say...PRICELESS! :laugh:

That excuse is a load of crap. You had our offensive playbook from Hassleback and our defensive schemes from Pierce. Thats all you needed.

It was 36-0, and we don't need an excuse....we beat them the second time...along with the rest of the nfc east and lasted the longest in the playoffs. We went 5-1 in the east, what about the cowboys?

"I'm just saying that I don't see Washington as being more set for the future than Dallas and looked at the age of both rosters to back up my point."

disagree. conceding the facts (i.e., field time for JC) aren't in...I'ld still argue the Skins are better at the one postion that counts above all others: QB. the Boys are - and have been - hurtin in that dept with a succession of 2-3 yr placeholders.

So Joe Gibbs couldn't gameplan well enough to neutralize the knowlegde of Pierce and Hasselbeck?

NO, actually the players got out played the 1st game. Giants made all the right plays and we didn't, it does happen to the best and worst of teams. ANY GIVEN SUNDAY!

I think Joe adjusted to something b/c we scored at will the 2nd time we played em, and had 35pts ourselves. It was only DO or DIE, and we won when we had to.

We only finished the season facing our toughest oppenents and all we did was close out the Reg. Season 5-0, beating 3 division team, and scoring over 30pts per game against our division foes.

But Gibbs didn't adjust ANYTHING, we got lucky :rolleyes:

Gibbs must be the luckiest coach ever, he only has 4 SB appearances and 3 rings, but he can't coach :laugh: :dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

Who saw Rome a minute or two ago (4:35pm eastern) discuss TO and his new team the Boys. While it has been discussed over and over in the media, Rome always has an interesting take. He said..."never has a team needed to win a Super Bowl in a one year window, quite like the Cowboys"

He said this because he feels that TO will be a model citizen for one year in Dallas like he was in Philly. Eventually, though, he will lose his cool for something and all bets are off.

Not only do the Cowboys only have a short amount of time with TO, but Bledsoe is old old old and they have no one special waiting in the wings to take over. The Cowboys won't win the Super Bowl, and the Redskins franchise will start to pull away. Parcells, TO, Bledsoe...all gone within the next 2-3years...probably less. Skins are built for now and for the future.

The "plowboys" still have some formidible weapons" and they should never be taken forgranted. You have to completely "destroy" a wounded animal because that's when they're most dangerous. !

NO, actually the players got out played the 1st game. Giants made all the right plays and we didn't, it does happen to the best and worst of teams. ANY GIVEN SUNDAY!

I think Joe adjusted to something b/c we scored at will the 2nd time we played em, and had 35pts ourselves. It was only DO or DIE, and we won when we had to.

We only finished the season facing our toughest oppenents and all we did was close out the Reg. Season 5-0, beating 3 division team, and scoring over 30pts per game against our division foes.

But Gibbs didn't adjust ANYTHING, we got lucky :rolleyes:

Gibbs must be the luckiest coach ever, he only has 4 SB appearances and 3 rings, but he can't coach :laugh: :dallasuck :gaintsuck :eaglesuck

Any given sunday, how ironic. Reminds me of that Dallas @ Washington game not too long ago, when you won, 35-7. You made all the right plays, and we didn't. Any given sunday, right?

Yet nobody said the Cowboys are set or even more set than the Skins. These replies were made up from something that wasnt said.

ohh ok ;) let me help your memory out there.

His argument was by virtue of having potentially the youngest defense in the league we're in no way NOT set up for the future.

or my favorite

The Cowboys defense is in better shape for the future the numbers bear that out. Redskins Offense right now is better for the future. As for coaching both head coaches will be gone within a couple years so we dont know who the replacments are.

those were YOUR words. thanks for playing and try again. :thumbsup:

The young players on Dallas have been getting it done. They ranked one spot behind your defense despite the "great coaching". I expect them to surpass the skins squad this year. Also you can fault zimmer all you want but he did have the #1 rated defense in 03.

ok quick quiz for you there genius.. name the four teams have been ranked in the top ten in defense the past two years(since joe gibbs/greg williams came to town)............. come on now Tampa Bay, Pittsburg, Baltimore and wait, wait, that's right the REDSKINS.

As far as Zimmer having the #1 rated defense in 2003 what was his ranking the next year??????? that's right #16th. wow he really kept you in there defensively in 2004. then last year he was #10th. yea he is such the defensive guru :rolleyes:

one more thing. you dallas fans are "rich" (to use a term from one of your fellow cowgirl fans). you state that your "young" team is set for the future but just a couple months ago when the CBA wasn't signed and it was stated that the redskins "would field 20 rookies or more" (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9241944) we were screwed??? how is it different??? we would have been by far the youngest team, so i guess that would mean we would have been "SET" for the future? :doh:

As far as Zimmer having the #1 rated defense in 2003 what was his ranking the next year??????? that's right #16th. wow he really kept you in there defensively in 2004. then last year he was #10th. yea he is such the defensive guru :rolleyes:

You forgot to note that the Cowboys where in transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4 with the entire defense learning a new scheme and yet they still fielded the #16 rank defense.

Okay. But I think the overall theme on this board from the Skins fans is that Washington is prepared for the future whereas Dallas is not.

I'm just saying that I don't see Washington as being more set for the future than Dallas and looked at the age of both rosters to back up my point.

So whether it was Rome saying this, I think it's fair to say that the overwhelming majority of Skins fans agree with him.

Rich.........

I'll agree with you that the Dallas defense looks good for now and the future, assuming everyone develops like they are projected to, but their offense looks like trouble after the starters - there is no one special waiting in the wings. Most of the Skins starters are young, and the depth behind them are young as well - case in point, who would you rather turn your offense over to next year: Romo sits to pee or Campbell?

You forgot to note that the Cowboys where in transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4 with the entire defense learning a new scheme and yet they still fielded the #16 rank defense.

i'll note that if you note that the redskins went from #24 in 2003 to #3 during the same time going through a whole new set of coaches and schemes and strategy. they had the same coach just a new scheme and they were average.

Any given sunday, how ironic. Reminds me of that Dallas @ Washington game not too long ago, when you won, 35-7. You made all the right plays, and we didn't. Any given sunday, right?

Yep, the difference is, Skins fans, like myself, can admit that we got outplayed and we didn't have the better team that particular Sunday.

Dallas fans can't admit that they got outplayed last season, they keep trying to cover it up w/ STATS. Not saying that your in denial, but a lot of Dallas fans are. :dallasuck

Thats another sign of " GREAT COACHING ", Dallas had the #1 D that year w/ the 4-3, and now they have changed to a 3-4, and slipped to the middle of the league on D. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :applause:

Why fix something, that wasn't broke to begin w/? :rolleyes:

Dallas has the 4th youngest starting defense in the league. And if Keith Davis is replaced by either Beriault, Pat Watkins or Jacques Reeves...they'll have the youngest starting defense in the league.

Washington, with the following:

Carter

Daniels

Griffin

Salave'a

Holdman

Marshall

Washington

Taylor

Archuleta

Rogers

Springs

Have the 2nd oldest starting defense in the league. Even if McIntosh replaces Holdman, they are the 5th oldest defense in the league.

On offense, Washington is the 10th youngest. Dallas has the 22nd youngest offense.

So in reality, I don't see how outside of setting up the head coaching job for Williams to take over (who went 17-31 as a head coach in Buffalo)...the Skins are so "set up" for the future compared to Dallas.

You guys are younger on offense, but we are much younger on defense.

Rich.......

You make some good points here, and those stats about the age of the players are interesting. I think most Skins fans that have been paying attention will admit that Dallas has done very well drafting defensive players.

That being said, I think the stats you posted are very misleading. When you look at the Redskins, they have a ton of young talent at the more atheletic and skilled positions. QB, TE, WR, RB, CB, LB, FS, these positions are loaded with young talent for the Skins, with their older players mostly playing on the lines. Good lineman in the NFL often have very successful careers well into their 30's b/c they aren't running around so much. Rabach, Jansen, Griffin, and Samuels are all creeping up on 30, but it is realistic to think that all of those guys should have at least a few more good years in them while the Skins continue to acquire and develop young lineman. The Redskins will concentrate on both lines these next couple offseasons with the roster being mostly set at the rest of the positions.

In contrast, Dallas has a lot of youth along the dline and at OLB with players like Ware, Spears, and Canty, but are older at many of the skilled positions. There is really noone waiting in the wings to take over for 34 year old Bledsoe, and both starting WRs are 32, with noone very inspiring behind them either. I will admit though that the Boys do have some impressive young TEs however. In the secondary, Dallas' top corner is 27, and their #2 and #3 are 29 and 34. Williams is really the only star in the secondary that could still be considered young at 25.

So in contrast, you have one team that is aging on the lines, but has a lot of young talent at the skilled positions, and the other that has a lot of youth on the lines, especially the defensive, but is aging at QB, WR, and in the secondary. Which method will be more successful? I'm not sure, but from where I'm sitting the Skins seem to be more built for the long run, and the Boys seem to be more in the "win now at all costs" mode. Just the fact that the Boys would take a gamble on TO says to me that they're willing to risk their future to make a run this season.

I can't wait to see what Dallas will give up this year, Bomb to moss, maybe Lloyd, Portis takes a short screen for a long td, ARE takes a Wr reverse to the house, or maybe a punt return, or how about a KR.

Man, so many weapons, I feel sorry for Dallas fans :laugh:

They can't stop us. T.O. will be either knocked out by games end, or he will leave the field, like Moss did :laugh:

I can't wait to see what Dallas will give up this year, Bomb to moss, maybe Lloyd, Portis takes a short screen for a long td, ARE takes a Wr reverse to the house, or maybe a punt return, or how about a KR.

Man, so many weapons, I feel sorry for Dallas fans :laugh:

They can't stop us. T.O. will be either knocked out by games end, or he will leave the field, like Moss did :laugh:

Yes, Washingotn is unstoppable. They have the greatest assortment of talent in history and will easily run the table, go 19-0, and win the SB by 100 points. Why even bother playing the games, we should hand Snyder the trophy in mid August.

Oh, I remember why, because this is the same thing we've been hearing out of D.C. every year since 1991. :rolleyes:

Yes, Washingotn is unstoppable. They have the greatest assortment of talent in history and will easily run the table, go 19-0, and win the SB by 100 points. Why even bother playing the games, we should hand Snyder the trophy in mid August.

Oh, I remember why, because this is the same thing we've been hearing out of D.C. every year since 1991. :rolleyes:

I don't remember hearing about us being this good in a LONG TIME.

I didn't say anything about going 19-0, all I said was, I feel sorry for Dallas :rolleyes:

He said..."never has a team needed to win a Super Bowl in a one year window, quite like the Cowboys"

I really don't like Rome or the other flash and fluff sports broadcasters like him, but he does make a pretty insightful comment there.

Archived