Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Questions About Power Tools

The Sisko

I'm in the market for some new power tools. Truth be told, it's not actually for me, it's for my, 'er ahhh, well it's for Mrs. '06. She's a lot more mechanically inclined than I am and I'd like to get her a new new power drill and/or screwdriver for her birthday.

We already own an old Ryobi rechargable unit that won't hold much of a charge anymore. Watching her try to get through another simple project today with this POC gave me the idea for the gift.

I don't really know what's good and what's crap so I'm actually having a problem figuring out where to start. In fact, I am also considering abandoning cordless units or buying both if the corded ones can be had at reasonable cost.

We don't typically use these tools anymore than say once or twice a month to do relatively simple, household tasks. However, sometime early next year we'll probably be doing some of the work to finish our own basement.

Any input on your experiences with these types of tools, good durable brands, highly desired features, your experiences with the battery packs etc. would be greatly appreciated.

The cordless are nice, it's so handy not to have to worry about untangling cords, etc., but you really do need both. Look around and get a decent set, there are several with a cordless drill/driver, trim saw, sawzall, batteries and charger, etc., for a reasonable price but you need to have a decent corded drill in 3/8 and a circular saw at a minimum with bits and blades, then I'd say sabre saw and sawzall next. There are a lot of tools with snazzy features that jack up the price but in the long run aren't that big a deal, put your bucks into the basics. It all comes down to budget of course but cheap tools are never cheap, get the best you can afford, especially if you are considering remodeling work. Ask PCS, he's the pro.

Imho for projects that you're describing, I'd be wary of spending too much money on them, ( which is risky as well, since you get what you pay for, or don't pay for at times as well). There are a few reasonably priced tools out there that will last for more than a few years and give you good quality. Both Lowes and Home Depot have some good prices on them. Dewalt is generally expensive but does make good tools. Hitachi and Makita have very nice cordless drills as well and can be reasonably priced. Cordless kits can save you money too. Keep an eye out for the impact drill. This little sucker, ( made by the above), can make putting in screws very, very easy. And it can drill too. :) Rigid also makes some nicer tools these days. They're beginning to show up alot on the job sites.

zoony, I think, works for one of the power tools manufacturers, so he may be a good source as well.

I believe zoony works for that brand with the yellow tools. :D Bosch, Hitachi,

and Makita make good tools as well. Home depot bought Rigid tools. I bought a rigid jigsaw last month with a lifetime warranty, which I believe comes with all the rigid tools. best thing about that is since home depot owns rigid now you can take them back there if they need repair vs. having to find a authorized service provider or mail it off.

FWIW, I've had DeWalt for years and put them through some tough times. Never had a problem.

9.6v drill - I would guess at LEAST 10 yrs old. Still kickin.

12v drill - probably 9 yrs old. Still kickin.

12v circular saw - again, about 9 yrs and no problem.

A/C circular saw - 8 yrs and lots of decks and fences later, no problems.

OK, I'm going to show my ignorance here. What is an impact drill and why is it different and/or better than a regular drill?

BTW, thanks for all the info. so far. I really appreciate it.

they're also called hammer drills, that mode is for drilling concrete and tile etc...

The cordless impact driver is a great little drill. We used them several times during the building of that single family hotel, especially when putting in windows. They're great for putting in screws into decking and such, but because of the extra torque, ( and the ratcheting feature), they can break screws easy. I'd say stick with the regular cordless drills and such for things around the house.

FWIW, I've had DeWalt for years and put them through some tough times. Never had a problem.

9.6v drill - I would guess at LEAST 10 yrs old. Still kickin.

12v drill - probably 9 yrs old. Still kickin.

12v circular saw - again, about 9 yrs and no problem.

A/C circular saw - 8 yrs and lots of decks and fences later, no problems.

Seconded.

I love it when I get a chance to use my father's Dewalt tools.

DeWalt of course is a professional tool, designed for users whose livelihood depends on the tool that they are using.

But it's funny, the bulk of DW sales comes from weekend warriors who might use the tool one weekend out of every month.

DW's complete avoidance of any of the consumer marketing channels, which originally was because of a lack of resources, has now evolved into a full fledged marketing strategy.

The more DeWalt ignores conventional consumer marketing channels, the more Weekend Warriors (non-professionals) want the product. You'll never see DeWalt advertised on TV. You'll never see it available in Wal Mart. DeWalt will almost always be the highest price tool you can buy. Ironically, it is this pie in the face of conventional marketing strategy that makes it so attractive to homeowners.

Go figure.

(a GREAT case study for any of you marketing majors... how to build a brand and develop a brand strategy)

I'm a big fan of Milwaukee tools, not that I haven't had a good experience with my dad's Dewalts, but I really like my Milwaukee stuff.

Milwaukee is owned by TTI. A Hong Kong based company that also makes Ridgid and Ryobi.

Black & Decker (DeWalt, Porter Cable, Delta) is the last US power tool maker.

Milwaukee is owned by TTI. A Hong Kong based company that also makes Ridgid and Ryobi.

Black & Decker (DeWalt, Porter Cable, Delta) is the last US power tool maker.

I have a Porter/Cable router and a orbital sander--which I really like.

My dad still has Milkwaukee tools from the late 70s that are all steel. The sawzall that he has has taken SERIOUS abuse but keeps on tickin'--and he has a 1/4 drill rebuilt several times. They were great, great tools--and the jig saw of theirs that I got about 5 years ago has been problem free.

My dad used to buy Ridged pipe wrenches exclusively (he's got a water well service company in NM), but after he could buy ones that were 1/4 the price, he started buying Chinese--even if they broke twice as much, it was still worth it.

Snap On and Matco are still built in the US right?

Snap On and Matco are still built in the US right?

Yes but they are hand tool, not power tool. Although I think they do slap their brand name on an occasional power tool, they don't actually manufacture them.

Milwaukee was just bought this past year by TTI. Prior to that they were an American company, notorious for their very high quality sawzalls (they invented them and trademarked the name iirc) and circular saws (which most framers would tell you that Milwaukee circ saws had no equal). I'm not sure what TTI intends to do with the Milwaukee brand... it will be interesting to see.

My wifes parents owns a tool store in town and they are the only authorized service store in town for all the major brands. They work on all the tools every day and they all swear by milwaukee. They say dewalt is really not built as well as milwaukee internally. I know we use Milwaukee tools at work in the refrigeration line of work that I do. I have no complaints at all with them. Another solid drill that is usually cheaper and great for just around the house work is Hitachi. They come highly recomended from my in laws at the store.

I like Milwaukee too - my Sawzall hasn't seen the beating that my DeWalt stuff has, but it's going on 7 years or so and no problem. Bought a Milwaukee jigsaw and didn't realize it was made by Bosch until I went to put a blade in it. Made in Germany, great jigsaw.

I have ABUSED my Porter Cable belt sander and it won't quit. Strong like bull.

The made in USA thing is something I try to to adhere to whenever possible.

Spend the money, buy the best you can afford, and you're done. Took me a while to figure that out.

Yes but they are hand tool, not power tool. Although I think they do slap their brand name on an occasional power tool, they don't actually manufacture them.

I think I remember seeing some pneumatic power tools with a Matco tag on them--and was curious whether two of the more famous U.S. hand tool manufacturers were still owned by U.S. companies.

Yeah Dewalt parts interchange with black and decker! Go figure.

Again, not true. Which parts?

We could go back and forth all night, but ultimately it will be pointless. You have no frame of reference and clearly no knowledge on the subject, other than a vague reference about someone you know who told you something about something :rolleyes:

My brother in law had a dewalt switch he put on my black and decker quantum drill. Zoomy I am not trying to argue just stating what I know when I am in the store a couple of times a week. They pull apart hundreds of power tools a day. I tend to beleive them over you.

My brother in law had a dewalt switch he put on my black and decker quantum drill. Zoomy I am not trying to argue just stating what I know when I am in the store a couple of times a week. They pull apart hundreds of power tools a day. I tend to beleive them over you.

FYI, zoony works for B&D/DeWalt, fwiw. :)

FYI, zoony works for B&D/DeWalt, fwiw. :)

Not to discredit Mr. Zoony but what does he do for them? I have encountered plenty of sales people who don't know jack about what they are selling.

As for the post, I buy tools depending on the price and the projects I have. For instance I have a dewault corded drill b/c I knew when I bought it I would need to use the drill for years and years. Its worry free and I use that 100% of the time I'm working on my Jeep, cordless just doesn't hold power.

When I was pulling cable for a summer I bought a Ryobi kit which included a 14.4v drill, small circ saw, and a flashlight. I figured it was only $100 and it would last all summer. It has been three years and the batteries suck but the kit works. The small circ saw is awesome for things around the house.

Other than that most of my power tools are Craftsman. It easy to pick them up b/c I pretty much live at Sears during big projects :D

Archived