Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Coaching the difference?

GestMuddaTruckaEver

lets face it:

- all 4 teams in the nfce are talented. very talented.

- all 4 teams have shown they are capable of winning with their current coaching staff.

- all 4 teams currently have a happy locker room, and 3 of those 4 appear that they will keep it (TO).

With this in mind, I am beginning to think that this division and who wins it will come down to two things. Based on the title of this thread, you know what my first factor will be, but the second one i believe will be injuries.

In this division any team can beat any team on any given sunday (and yes, i had to use that cliche'), whennnnnn healthy. All four coaches are smart enough to gameplan well, and all four teams have their fare share of playmakers and they all have strong supporting casts.

What besides injuries and coaching will determine the nfce this year? what have i forgotten?

BTW, just because i am saying the other teams are talented, the :gaintsuck still, the:eaglesuck still, and one other thing will always ring true, :dallasuck . HTTR.

Thats a tough call.

I think that Coughlin and Reid are not very good coaches under pressure. They seem to go away from what was winning the games that got them there, or neglect to change it up to offset what everyone else has seen. Basically their game day management in big games is questionable.

There is more but I gotta run a quick errand. :doh:

It comes down to one thing. Who has Joe Gibbs as their coach? Anyone can coach, but not everyone can coach like Joe Gibbs. Even if you were a Dallas fan or a Giants fan, ask yourself who is the most significant coach that possesses all the winning intangibles? The player talent level is paralleled in a league full of parity, so coaching is the difference...Joe Jackson Gibbs IS the difference.

HTTR!

I agree that all 4 NFC East teams are quality teams with good coaching. On the coaching front, the Skins added Al Saunders, while the Cowboys and Eagles lost their offensive coordinators. Advantage Skins and Giants.

I also think that the Skins have the best depth top-to-bottom in the NFC East. Offensive line, defensive tackle, and possibly corner are the only areas where I worry about injury with the Redskins. The other NFC East teams have depth concerns in those areas at a minimum. I think the Skins have the best backup QB situation. If Brunnel goes down, I believe that Campbell is good enough to manage the team to the playoffs. The Eagles have Jeff Garcia backing up McNabb, but it's uncertain that he can still play to the level he did in San Francisco. Dallas and the Giants are in a world of hurt if Bledsoe or Manning are injured. My NFC East rankings of overall team depth:

1) Redskins

2) Giants

3) Dallas

4) Eagles

(ignorant) People could argue that the head coaches are all on a similiar level, but nobody in this LEAGUE compares to our coordinators. Both could arguably make great coaches right after this season. Similiar to the Patriots, with Crenell and Wiess.

Yeah Ghost, and Jerry Gray was one of the most sought after guys to be a Defensive Coordinator - and we get him this offseason to be our secondary coach.

The thing I love about GW is that he has coordinators and assistants from Cover 2 Schemes, 46 schemes, 3-4, 4-3 etc. and he is the mad scientist that puts all that knowledge together into the most fierce hitting defense known to man.

:laugh:

I don't think we even need to extol the virtues of those on the other side of the ball.

]'](ignorant) People could argue that the head coaches are all on a similiar level' date=' but nobody in this LEAGUE compares to our coordinators. Both could arguably make great coaches right after this season. Similiar to the Patriots, with Crenell and Wiess.[/quote']

I agree with this, in just our division all four teams have great head coachs but theres a huge drop when you start going down the coaching structure for everyone other than the Redskins. I actually would put the fecals as number two, cause I think their D Cord has talent.

This is a really good post. I agree with you almost completely.Though a great coach certainly helps what is really needed are great players. This is where I think one team is eliminated from the playoff race in the NFCE. That would be the Eagles. They have a great QB in McNabb but no other offensive weapons. (L.J. Smith is okay...) If the Eagles can get a good WR and a better RB they will be in the hunt again but for now, despite the great coaching with all 4 teams, the Eagles are still the odd team out. Having said that, I'm no expert, they could be great this year (god forbid). Thats just my opinion.

I agree that all 4 NFC East teams are quality teams with good coaching. On the coaching front, the Skins added Al Saunders, while the Cowboys and Eagles lost their offensive coordinators. Advantage Skins and Giants.

I also think that the Skins have the best depth top-to-bottom in the NFC East. Offensive line, defensive tackle, and possibly corner are the only areas where I worry about injury with the Redskins. The other NFC East teams have depth concerns in those areas at a minimum. I think the Skins have the best backup QB situation. If Brunnel goes down, I believe that Campbell is good enough to manage the team to the playoffs. The Eagles have Jeff Garcia backing up McNabb, but it's uncertain that he can still play to the level he did in San Francisco. Dallas and the Giants are in a world of hurt if Bledsoe or Manning are injured. My NFC East rankings of overall team depth:

1) Redskins

2) Giants

3) Dallas

4) Eagles

Um, haha, you have the best depth? Yeah, right...

What makes Campbell ready? Just because he's a first rounder and all of you have a premature mancrush on him doesn't make him ready.

And, also, if the Redskins got Al Saunders, wouldn't they have lost last year's offensive coordinator?

It's not like the Cowboys didn't get anyone to replace Payton...Parcells was making all the calls anyway...

Dallas has depth, alot of depth..maybe not at QB, but who has depth there these days?

RB: Julius Jones, Marion Barber III, Tyson Thompson (all three can play well)

TE: Jason Witten, Ryan Hannam, Anthony Fasano, Sean Ryan, Brett Pierce

WR: Terrell Owens, Terry Glenn, Patrick Crayton, Skyler Green

RT: Rob Petitti (who reportedly got ALOT better), Jason Fabini (who can play both OT positions), Marc Colombo

RG: Marco Rivera, Andre Gurode

C: Al Johnson, Andre Gurode

LG: Kyle Kosier, Stephen Peterman

LT: Flozell Adams, Jason Fabini

DE: Marcus Spears, Chris Canty, Greg Ellis, Jason Hatcher, Jay Ratliff, Coleman

NT: (remember, for us, it's only one position) Ferguson, T. Johnson, Stanley

CB: Terence Newman, Anthony Henry, Aaron Glenn, Jacques Reeves

FS: Keith Davis, Marcus Coleman, Reeves can play this position also

SS: Roy Williams, Justin Beriault, Davis can also play this position

OLB: Ware, Ellis can play this position, Burnett

ILB: James, Ayodele, Parham, Shanle, Fowler

OLB: Singleton, Carpenter, Thornton (is he still there?), Boiman

IMO, we have a ton of depth, and the above is proof of that...

That is a fair question that you posed. Coaching should make the difference however injuries are the ultimate deciders IMO. If we look at coaching then the Tuna and Gibbs are head and shoulders above Reid and Coughlin. In addition the Tuna has not really won anything without Bellicheck while you can make the argument that Gibbs not only has almost all the coaches with him that have won a couple of SBs with but a couple of coaches like Saunders and Gregg Williams that are arguably the best assistant coaches in the league right now.

The ultimate question then if we just consider the starting lineups without injuries is that yes there is a great amount of talent but how do these 4 teams match up. Looking at these 4 teams I think that the Giants and the Skins are neck and neck. They are complete teams. Dallas has a questionable OL which would not be so bad if they had Mcnabb as a QB because he can buy time. Drew is a statue however back there. He needs time to get the ball out and I just don’t think Dallas has that type of OL. In addition who do they have as a running back? The other 3 teams have great defenses that can really exploit these weaknesses.

The Eagles have once against set themselves up to be one dimensional on offense without a true RB and now they don’t have anyone with TOs talent at WR. I argued with an Eagles fan saying hey we reached the NFC championship 3 times without him, we don’t need him. Well buddy you reached the NFC championship 3 teams because the other 3 teams in the division were baaaaaad. Honestly who of their WRs are people like Springs and Rogers and ST going to be scared of?

The Giants like the skins however are a complete team. They improved their secondary this off-season; they have a great DL, a great RB, etc. They in other words did everything is off-season to improve their weaknesses just like we did. The question is can Manning take the next step. Just like on our team the question is can Brunell stay healthy for 16 weeks?

What makes Campbell ready? Just because he's a first rounder and all of you have a premature mancrush on him doesn't make him ready.

And, also, if the Redskins got Al Saunders, wouldn't they have lost last year's offensive coordinator?

It's not like the Cowboys didn't get anyone to replace Payton...Parcells was making all the calls anyway...

Dallas has depth, alot of depth..maybe not at QB, but who has depth there these days?

RB: Julius Jones, Marion Barber III, Tyson Thompson (all three can play well)

TE: Jason Witten, Ryan Hannam, Anthony Fasano, Sean Ryan, Brett Pierce

WR: Terrell Owens, Terry Glenn, Patrick Crayton, Skyler Green

RT: Rob Petitti (who reportedly got ALOT better), Jason Fabini (who can play both OT positions), Marc Colombo

RG: Marco Rivera, Andre Gurode

C: Al Johnson, Andre Gurode

LG: Kyle Kosier, Stephen Peterman

LT: Flozell Adams, Jason Fabini

DE: Marcus Spears, Chris Canty, Greg Ellis, Jason Hatcher, Jay Ratliff, Coleman

NT: (remember, for us, it's only one position) Ferguson, T. Johnson, Stanley

CB: Terence Newman, Anthony Henry, Aaron Glenn, Jacques Reeves

FS: Keith Davis, Marcus Coleman, Reeves can play this position also

SS: Roy Williams, Justin Beriault, Davis can also play this position

OLB: Ware, Ellis can play this position, Burnett

ILB: James, Ayodele, Parham, Shanle, Fowler

OLB: Singleton, Carpenter, Thornton (is he still there?), Boiman

Don Breaux was calling most of the offense last season along with Joe Gibbs. We didn't lose an offensive coordinator as both of them are still with the team.

As far as Julius Jones is concerned, he plays more like a 2nd string back up than a starting RB. If he's the best you have, then your in a lot of trouble at that position.

Your O-line is patch work at best. Your back ups are unproven in games as much as our back ups are. I can't wait to see Bill go to a 3 wide out set and watch how your O-line protects with out that 2 tightend formation that you and other dallass fans seem to think will be the secret formula for your offensive success.

:dallasuck

At the moment Campbell is third on the depth chart.

No.

So Payton did nothing? No wonder he got fired. :)

Listing your roster doesn't prove you have depth. It simply proves you have a roster. Forget the backups, you're starting o-line is a big question mark. Same goes for RB. I like your depth at WR. Other than that I don't see an unusually deep team there. Just starters and backups.

I don't think the Redskins have insane depth either. We just have fewer question marks starting for us.

It will be the players themselves whom will make the difference...... Its called HEART, DESIRE and NEVER QUIT ATTITUDE....

At 5-6... alot of teams would not have put as much effort into the rest of the season and just collected thier paychecks...and thought wait till next season...

The 2005 REDSKINS possed all of these qualitys and proved that with a little extra effort... the playoffs can be a reality...

Overall the confidence level of the team & organization grew tremendously & this is why the REDSKIN nation is so excited for this season... CONFIDENCE, HEART, DESIRE are qualitys we (I am ON THE TEAM lol) have not seen in along time....

Check out the end of my sig....

PEACE

At the moment Campbell is third on the depth chart.

The person I quoted said that Campbell would be ready to lead the team. I was answering to that...

No.

OK, I was wrong.

So Payton did nothing? No wonder he got fired. :)

Payton did SOMETHING, but it wasn't very much. Everything Payton did went through Parcells. Plus, our QB coach (basically our O coordinator) Palmer had tons of success with Bledsoe and Parcells in their Patriot days. Yes, Palmer's offense sucked in Houston, but did he really have much to work with? I think this would be an addition to our offense, because Payton was always ultraconservative, but I believe that under Palmer, Bledsoe broke the Patriot record for passes. I'm not sure about the record, I think so though...

Listing your roster doesn't prove you have depth. It simply proves you have a roster. Forget the backups, you're starting o-line is a big question mark. Same goes for RB. I like your depth at WR. Other than that I don't see an unusually deep team there. Just starters and backups.

I don't think the Redskins have insane depth either. We just have fewer question marks starting for us.

The thing is, everything hinges on the Offensive Line. Flozell Adams has shown alot of recovery, and will be in last year's shape come training camp, Kyle Kosier has been lauded by KC Joyner as having "better metrics than Larry Allen."

The Dallas O line wasn't all bad last year, it just had it's strong and weak points. The loss of Larry Allen does hurt some, but he only had a 3.9 yard modified POA rating. Kyle Kosier, Allen's replacement, had a 4.6 yard rating in that category for an awful Lions team, so he will more than make that up.

Yeah, there was that play where Kosier got manhandled by LaVar, but can you really judge a player on one single play? If so, I could just point out the Dallas 2004 game where Crayton got that TD, and say Taylor sucks. It's unfair to do that, wouldn't you agree?

Our Center, Al Johnson had one problem, he wasn't big enough, because of an injury he had. Now that he's fully healed from it, he's picked up 17 more pounds per Dallas Morning News, and he's much stronger without losing speed.

Our Right Guard, Marco Rivera, sucked last year, but that was because he was less than a year removed from a back injury (he injured his back right after we signed him), and now he is 100%, and he should become solid. He won't be back to Pro Bowl form, but he'll be better.

Now, our right tackle, Rob Petitti, the guy everyone thinks was our worst player on the offensive line. That title belongs to Torrin Tucker, who took a one way ticket to Tampa. Petitti has reportedly got much better.

So taking this news, our offensive line has reportedly gotten much better at every position. (Now, this is really hard to tell until TC starts, but I'm gonna believe all these reports for now. I think after last year, the only way the OL can go for us is up.)

Julius Jones has breakout games when he has decent blocking. Look at Chicago 2004, Seattle 2004, and Carolina 2005 for how well he can play when he is given some blocking. If our OL can provide blocking, he'll play well.

For the 3-4 defense, DL and LB are really important to the defense.

Last year, our run defense fell apart because of all our injuries to linebackers. We had no depth last year, but now we brought in alot of linebackers over the offseason, and we'll have depth where it was lacking.

Also, for the defensive line, we have tons of good DE's, and also we have 3 NT's, which is a good number. Most of these players can perform well.

IMO, the reason we lost the division last year was because we fell apart due to lack of depth. Now, we've gotten much better depth where it matters (meaning, in the positions that take alot of damage)

Archived