Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

how important is portis to the redskins' success

mo9763

hypothetically, if Portis is injured in the preseason and is out for the rest of the year, is there still enough talent and ability amongst the rest of the team for the redskins to make a run at the playoffs or even the superbowl?

hes crucial and i think if he lose him, we are defintely not a superbowl contender

Agreed. I think Betts could fill in and do an adequate job but Portis gives us an explosiveness that we'd be lacking in the running game.

I think if things broke well after Portis went down and we could move the ball through the air, we'd still have an outside shot at a wildcard berth.

hes crucial and i think if he lose him, we are defintely not a superbowl contender

More than crucial would better phrase it. I dont have confidence in Betts to staying injury free and Brunnell's effectiveness will be a question mark the rest of his career. Do we get one good game from him as in 04 or a part of the season as ion 05? Our playoff chances rest squarely on the shoulders of Clinton Portis and great defense.

Portis is our biggest weapon on offense. Without him teams will be able to play Moss, Cooley, and Lloyd/ARE.

Trust me, you don't want to find out what will happen if Portis goes down. We might make by for a game or two as teams adjust to Betts and Rock, but in the long run we'd struggle without Portis. Plus, he's an emotional leader in the locker room.

I agree with all the posters - I would even say that Portis, at this moment, is the most indispensable member on the team (at least for a significant amount of time). Missing one game here or there wouldn't be too bad, but if he goes down for the season and defenses start dropping back against the pass, I would think the 'Skins would finish last in the East.

while I do not believe no Portis shuts down moss ARE and lloyd completely (betts and rock can hold thier own) i do think that he is essential to the teams success. i think portis is a real leader for the skins and you can not replace that easily. with that said our O line is sick and i think i might be able to run for 1000 yards if they need me! jk

Hypothetically...i think we would be in trouble for the first four games. Cuz the coaches would have to redesign the offense to accomadate betts style of running. We would have to more of a passing team, but it would still be much harder to make the playoffs. In the end, RB would become what QB was to us last year. Whatever gets us the victory, we will take.

At least we won't have to be concerned with eight in the box against him as much any more. He did a remarkable job last season even when things were stacked. The new WR corps will open things up a little for him. He's even said that he wants to get a few more "home runs", I have a feeling he'll get just that. If everything plays out to the way it is designed he could have a ProBowl year.

:logo:

Portis is great, but Joe Gibbs turned Timmy Smith into a Superbowl legend. He can make do with Betts. It certainly changes the offense, but this team won't curl up and die without Portis.

Absolutely we could still make the playoffs and the superbowl. Timmy Smith was a one hit wonder. Betts is twice the RB that was Timmy Smith. With all the offensive weapons at Saunders fingertips combined with GW and his ultra talented pressure D, the Redskins would still be able to come out with the jewelry!!!

haha u guys overrate betts... the guy can only run straight... he has no jukes moves.. teams would not respect our running game at all with betts

So you're saying instead of spending time attempting to juke defender he is running straight to and through the hole?

This is a retarded question: Portis IS the offense

exactly.

I think we MIGHT barely make the playoffs but thats about it.

I also hate threads that have 'what if' scenarios of our players getting injured and every week there is a new one popping up! Call me superstitious(sp?) but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Archived