Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My night out with Ricky Sanders...**Pics Added**

LoudMouth12thMan

Do you attack Germany in this scenario?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Do you attack Germany in this scenario?

Hope this is the appropriate forum mods ;)

I thought I'd share this with my ES friends...Heres the story:

I was at my best friend's club (The Peppermint Beach Club) in Virginia Beach, VA last week, and Mama (the cook) was putting some pictures away in the back room. As she walked by, I noticed a photo of a Redskin. As I got closer, I noticed it was a photo of Ricky Sanders. Well I asked Mama what she was doing with that (smiling from ear to ear) and she said that she was keeping them for next week when they have the ESPN Radio event. "Is Ricky gonna be in the house", I asked? She said, "They are going to be here next week, you should come!" (in her sweet Latin voice). I was stoked.

So I talked to my buddy on Monday, and of course he said come on down Wednesday night anytime. I went out and bought something for Ricky to sign, but I wasn't even sure if I was going to bring it. I didn't want to put the guy out or bother him. I just don't ever get things signed when I meet athletes and celebs, but Eric (club owner) insisted that Ricky expects it. I came in last night and the head of security brought me right up to Ricky and I got the mini Redskins helmet signed. He even went out of his way to get up and sign it where there was better lighting (true Redskin behavior, what else do you expect? ;) ). Sanders was really quiet and shy initially, but that all changed later on...

An hour or so later I'm sitting at the bar with a couple buddies when a woman that appeared to be my Mom's age approaches me. "This is Billy "Joe" Dupree", she says. I was shocked b/c I was just chillin' not expecting to be approached by any of the celebs' that were attending. As I shook his hand, he asked who was on my shirt. I said, "Santana Moss". "That's who I thought it was", he says. "Do you like him?", I asked. "He's my number one receiver in my fantasy league, of course I like him!", he exclaimed. :laugh: I'm laughing b/c he's a former standout Cowboys TE from the early 70's to 80's so I obviously didn't expect to be having this conversation with a lifelong Dallas guy. I said, "well he gave you all hell last year (as he chuckled), but hey so did you in your day apparently (sporting his SB ring on his right hand)." "Ah...Thanks man", he said with a smile. We said our goodbyes. Honestly I thought that was pretty neat, but I was just happy that I got a chance to meet a Sanders earlier. I would finish here, but there's more...LONG READ WARNING BEGINS NOW! :silly:

A few minutes later Ricky Sanders and I crossed paths and he said, "hey that should be an #83 on your shirt!" "Well in a way, Moss reminds me of you back in the glory days", I replied...or something to that effect. He smiled and said that Santana is a great receiver...so I figured I'd talk with him a bit since he initiated conversation. We talked about the situation this season and he thought this year would be good, but he asked who some of the other receivers were besides Lloyd, RE, Patten (who I had already named). I said, "well there's some practice studs who played last year who are trying to make it, but they just don't show up at game time." "Yeah you gotta show up that day", he said...or something like that. "What is it about Joe Gibbs that motivated you and the rest of the guys, or got you ready for the big games and Super Bowls?", I asked. His ears perked up when I asked the question and he appeared pleasantly surprised I'd inquired about Gibbs. "He was always calm in the locker room and when the pressure was on, but two or three times I remember him throwing chairs around so you'd listen, but that (chair throwing) didn't happen much (as he laughed)". :laugh: "I guess maybe that's why they won six games in a row after dropping three in a row last year?", I said. He agreed. Throughout the night, we joked and exchanged some smirks about the pretty women all around, but we both have wives so there's only so much of that you can do :D . We took a photo with my buddy and his staff later, and I got a pic on my phone of Sanders and I. Ricky was extremely polite and I was happy to get a chance to meet a standup guy that just so happened to be a Redskin. Some of you may not think this was a big deal, but to me and my pal it was. Eric and I share the same background with regard to the Skins. We were born Redskins fans through our respective grandfathers, so it was a joy to meet a guy we grew up watching help win two of our three SB's :point2sky . Obviously he did more than contribute in our win against Denver :D . Hope this makes you guys smile and appreciate this organization and even more.

HTTR!

Sounds like a cool time. What was the event for? And BTW, Ricky was not a Smurf. Don't want to sound like I am busting balls here though

He was both from what they tell me...I always thought he was, and they anounced him that way last night...so I don't know...does it really matter? ;) Just to make you two happy I changed the title :laugh:

HTTR!

Smurfs- Alvin Garrett, Virgil Seay, Charlie Brown

Posse- Art Monk, Gary Clark, Ricky Sanders

The Posse was in response to a reporter during SB 22 when he asked one of the Redskins (I believe it was Clark) what their receivers were called since the Broncos had the 3 Amigos (V. Johnson, M. Jackson, R. Natteil) and he said "I guess if they are the 3 Amigos, then we are the Posse" And thus it was born.

"Sanders! Beats Haynes! Sanders, out in front ... 80 yards, touchdown!" -- Al Micheals

"Where's Ricky Sanders?" -- Ronald Reagan

Seems like yesterday. :)

That Al Michaels call is my absolute favorite and remember it so much. It's the first play by play call that stuck with me in my life. I liked how right after he says "...80 yards and a touchdown!" you hear Dan Dierdorf (I think) say "HELLO SPORTSFANS!"...making the joke that there would actually be a two-sided game being played.

Smurfs- Alvin Garrett, Virgil Seay, Charlie Brown

Posse- Art Monk, Gary Clark, Ricky Sanders

The Posse was in response to a reporter during SB 22 when he asked one of the Redskins (I believe it was Clark) what their receivers were called since the Broncos had the 3 Amigos (V. Johnson, M. Jackson, R. Natteil) and he said "I guess if they are the 3 Amigos, then we are the Posse" And thus it was born.

Hey don't forget Nick Giaquinto and Clarence Harmon they wre Smurf's too!

you took off the santana shirt for the picture?? Were there any other Skins in the house?

no, I've got it on...I'm the guy in the back with the bald head... :point2sky

Eric is the guy in the front wearing one of my band shirts. He's reppin' VB! :)

Also thanks for clearing up the Posse/Smurf thing. When they announced him they said Smurf and Posse, but I think they just read it wrong. Anyway, I had a blast wish all my ES pals could've shared in it in person....

HAIL!

Archived