Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I'd rather see the fights in a Pride ring with kicks and kness to a downed opponet allowed, but no elbows.

This is essentially the problem with MMA though. The company system will always prevent the best from fighting the best. It is only reason I can understand them not getting mainstream coverage. MMA needs to adaot more of a boxing approach (but obviously not a complete boxing approach) where fighters are fighters, and championships are appointed by impartial commisons. As long as they don't get corrupt like in boxing.

Wait dude, that's EXACTLY what boxing is. It's not just run by the federation championships, but used to be run by channels (eg Showtime and HBO). Contracting fighters to me is the downfall. Let the fighters get paid per fight, and nobody owns them. I know that's the so called philosophy of PRIDE, except for people like Wandy and Fedor. But NOBODY should be owned by anyone.......Of course, then championship belts get complicated.

Wait dude, that's EXACTLY what boxing is. It's not just run by the federation championships, but used to be run by channels (eg Showtime and HBO). Contracting fighters to me is the downfall. Let the fighters get paid per fight, and nobody owns them. I know that's the so called philosophy of PRIDE, except for people like Wandy and Fedor. But NOBODY should be owned by anyone.......Of course, then championship belts get complicated.

That is kind of what I meant. They could take a page from boxing, but not copy their system. I'll admit I am not as up on boxing as I used to be, but they always seem to make fights the people want happen.

Rumors have it that Dana has talked to HBO about putting MMA on there. Myabe that would be a good compromise for UFC and Pride. Fight a supercard on HBO ppv then split the dough. They could set up a ring and a cage. Half the fights in a cage, half in a ring.

Since I know none of that will happen for a long time if ever, I would like to see Chuck go to Pride after his Tito. Who else is left in that division for him? In Pride he could fight Shogun, Arona, Rogerio, and of course The Axe Murder. A rematch with Rampage would be great too even though he is no longer with Pride (I think the UFC will bring Rampage in for that fight eventually).

That is kind of what I meant. They could take a page from boxing, but not copy their system. I'll admit I am not as up on boxing as I used to be, but they always seem to make fights the people want happen.

Rumors have it that Dana has talked to HBO about putting MMA on there. Myabe that would be a good compromise for UFC and Pride. Fight a supercard on HBO ppv then split the dough. They could set up a ring and a cage. Half the fights in a cage, half in a ring.

Since I know none of that will happen for a long time if ever, I would like to see Chuck go to Pride after his Tito. Who else is left in that division for him? In Pride he could fight Shogun, Arona, Rogerio, and of course The Axe Murder. A rematch with Rampage would be great too even though he is no longer with Pride (I think the UFC will bring Rampage in for that fight eventually).

Unfortunately, Chuck got his chance in PRIDE, and Dana will never let him go again. I personally think Dana is dragging down the sport, but that's my opinon. Where has PRIDE been? Regardless, Chuck would definitely do well in PRIDE. He doesn't give a crap about the mat anyways. He's too good a wrestler to be taken down, at least as of yet (except Couture I). The best bet is for PRIDE to fold (which is likely right now since they've been dropped off of their major network). BTW, I think Chuck NOW will beat Rampage. And that's disappointing, because I think Lidell has 2 years left, and that's it, he'll slow, and be subject to submission (nobody will out wrestle him). But MMA is taking over boxing, let's just hope the next Don King isn't Dana White.

More? Seems to me, the only side that has ponied up anyone is UFC. Athough Silva vs Lidell would be fun, regardless of CroCop knocking Silva's head off. I hope Pride goes under for their Yakuza (sp?) ties. It'd be great to join those fighters with UFC.

WAR FRANKLIN!!!!!

If Pride goes under I expect K1 to snatch them up for Hero's. UFC can't pay some of these guys what they want or are used to.

If Pride goes under I expect K1 to snatch them up for Hero's. UFC can't pay some of these guys what they want or are used to.

CAN'T and WON'T are two totally different things. But you're right, they probably won't. Instead, we'll keep watching crappy PPV's with nothing but mediocre TUF fighters. Dana sucks. :doh:

Haha...if you get a chance, go watch the Tank post fight interview on Sherdog. Why dont these guys just go away...Yeah, I'm talking to you too Shamrock!

I just got around to watching the Tank vid. Frekin' classic. Thanks for the heads up.

Here is the link if anyone else wants to hear Tank's opinion on fighting, Shamrock, Tito, and well, Tank.

http://www.sherdog.com/videos/videos.asp?v_id=913

Tank's hilarious. However, I really don't get him. He doesn't train catered towards his opponent, has ZIPPY skills, yet still thinks he has a future in MMA. When is he going to realize that fighting PROFESSIONAL fighters requires more than just a "bar room brawl" mentality. When the hell was the last time he won a fight? BTW, I think it's an insult to everyone else if you call him a mixed martial artist. He's a strong punching redneck, with a bit of a chin. That's it.

Tank's hilarious. However, I really don't get him. He doesn't train catered towards his opponent, has ZIPPY skills, yet still thinks he has a future in MMA. When is he going to realize that fighting PROFESSIONAL fighters requires more than just a "bar room brawl" mentality. When the hell was the last time he won a fight? BTW, I think it's an insult to everyone else if you call him a mixed martial artist. He's a strong punching redneck, with a bit of a chin. That's it.

He beat Cabbage oin May of '05. Before that he hadn't won since '98

You're right about him not being a MMA. He doesn't care about winning a fight. He just likes to fight.

I would love to see him vs. Shamrock though. I think that will happen. One of the recent startups would kill to have those names on their card.

CAN'T and WON'T are two totally different things. But you're right, they probably won't. Instead, we'll keep watching crappy PPV's with nothing but mediocre TUF fighters. Dana sucks. :doh:

I think the UFC could play some of these fighters good contracts. Just for the Ultimate Fighter, some of these guys are receiving six figure contracts, and this is for fighters who have never even fought in the UFC.

Do you really think that the UFC would let Fedor, CroCop, or Big Nog slip away if they could sign them to a contract? No way.

I personally don't see PRIDE folding. They have a big audience with their Grand Prix matches and they have some fanastic fighters. Also, their matches are still shown on some channels, such as ESPN - they will probably become picked-up by someone. MMA and PRIDE are too popular to be ignored.

I personally don't see PRIDE folding. They have a big audience with their Grand Prix matches and they have some fanastic fighters. Also, their matches are still shown on some channels, such as ESPN - they will probably become picked-up by someone. MMA and PRIDE are too popular to be ignored.

Maybe Zuffa could buy Pride? Remember when Vince McMahon bought WCW?

Maybe Zuffa could buy Pride? Remember when Vince McMahon bought WCW?

Yeah, but Vinny Mac ran WCW into virtual bankruptcy first. I don't see UFC being able to pull that off on PRIDE. I think we may see a merger eventually, but it's going to be a while. I'd be happy if PRIDE merged with a couple of the smaller organizations, and made their presence here permanent. U.S. based competition might do wonders for the UFC.

UFC 64 in 7h22m. Who's paying for it? I might catch it on stream or DL it when it's over.

Me=not paying for it. I am less than broke right now. I catch it at a sports bar that serves good water, or download it the next day. Where can you stream it? PM me about it.

My picks for the two title fights:

Sherk by dismemberment in round 1

Silva by TKO/stoppage in round 2 (really just a wish then an unbias pick. Franklin pissed me off when he was on TUF. I used to like the guy.)

Silva Frankiln should be a great fight no matter which way it goes.

Franklen got his nose broken by a solid knee to the face.

They didn't have to stop it, he was defending himself, but it wouldn't have made a difference.

That division is weak anyways, I never thought that Franklen was that good.

He was in one of those Mua Tia(sp?) clinch, where the hands are together(interlaced fingers) behind the neck of the opponant, where he landed a lot of knees to the face and body.

This could have been easily countered but Franklen didn't do the right move, he just tried to block the shots with obviously....... poor results.

It looked like Franklin had never been in a Muai Thai clinch before. Silva wlaked him around the cage at will. It was awesome!

Too bad the division is weak. Looks like Swick is the next guy unless the bring in Lindland. They also have to give the TUF winner a shot at that title.

I worked security for the fight tonight, WOW! Right on the floor less than 10 feet from the octagon. Breasts and blood, what else could you ask for? So the night started with Hughes walking right in front of me, had to check his credentials. Then Randy Coutre followed by Chuck, Tim Silvia, Keith Jardene, Jason Giambi, and last but not least, the whole reason I wanted to go. I had to take a piss break and when I walked out in the tunnel there stood Tito Ortiz. No, that's not the best part, Jenna Jameson was standing right beside him. I was so close I could literaly smell her. I actually had to turn sideways to squeeze behind, yes behind, her. They were still standing there on the way out and I looked at Tito and said "you the man Tito", he just smiled and gave me the old head nod. Damn Jenna is hot.

Anyway, the fights were pretty badass. Probably one of the better nights I've seen at UFC. Even the undercards were decent. Franklin got the **** kicked out of him. The guy didn't even show up. Once Silva got him in the clinch and landed a couple of big knees to the midsection it was over. You could see Rich was hurt even before the one to the nose. Richs' nose was shoved all the way over under his right eye. Silva has some heavy knees. I don't see anyone beating him for a while.

This has been one hell of a week. Did security Wed. for the golf tourney going on here in Vegas. Saw Furyk, Couples, Haas, DiMarco, Funk, Parnivik and the list goes on and on. Then tonight it was a who's who of MMA, Athletes, Actors and Jenna Jameson. Funny thing is, all of it was volunteer work. I don't get paid for doing it, they pay my Squadron for the hours we work. Free Christmas party. :applause: