Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anything MMA, except thumb wrestling

SUNSTONE

I'd like to see him fight Brock, Carwin, Mir, Cain Veasquez, would have loved to see him fight Couture when he was in his prime, or any of the guys that destroyed Arloveski and Sylvia from the UFC since those guys are "top 10 in the world".

So since I already mentioned Lesnar, then you're giving me:

Carwin, Mir, Cain, and Couture (although not the present-day Couture?)

First of all, how are Carwin or Cain any different or better than Brett Rogers?

Carwin is exactly like Rogers at this point; an unproven brawler with a win over one good fighter and that's something you can't even say for Cain just yet.

And what about Couture? When exactly was his prime?

Was it when he got KO'd by Chuck Liddell twice and was forced to switch to another weight class? Was it when he realized he was outmatched by the bigger heavyweights and was forced to move back down a weight class? Or was it in the early 2000s when his greatest achievement was winning a war with Pedro Rizzo?

There has not been a point in Randy's career when he was ever better than Fedor and the only people that think that would be a good fight are the all-UFC fans who had no idea who guys like Anderson Silva and Nogueira were when they came over from Japan.

I'll give you Frank Mir, that actually would be an interesting fight, but would you really take Mir over Fedor?

So, I answered you, answer my question now.

Who is Fedor fighting that is so great? Rogers is his best win in years and even Rogers, who gave Fedor a run for his money, is very raw and unproven.

Fedor has fought some of the best fighters ever in the primes of their careers. He beat Cro-Cop in his prime, he beat Nogueira convincingly two times in the prime of his career (althought Nog is still pretty damn good), he took a 15-0 Zulu (all KOs) and beat his career into a downward spiral, he tore through a 5-2, 300 lb Mark Hunt when he had beaten both Wandy and Cro Cop in their primes and was the next "big thing" supposedly, he destroyed an already overrated Sylvia when he was ranked in the top 10, he dropped Arlovski like a bad habit, who is still ranked in the top 10 and was on a 5-fight win streak at the time.

He's fought whoever has been put in front of him consistently throughout his career, whether it's been a legit top HW fighter or the next big freakshow that's supposedly unstoppable. And he's won convincingly every time. Without a legitimate blemish on his record.

Also, how is Rogers a better win than Sylvia & (especially) Arlovski?

I think it's funny when fans try and marginalize those wins because of what those fighters did after they lost to Fedor.

And on top of all of that, who can you name that is a better HW fighter than Fedor? Or has been for the last decade?

Edited by #98QBKiller

Fedor would kill Carwin, Cain, and Mir.

You may not like the guys he fought recently, but you can't deny he ran through the Pride HWs when they were the best in the world. His Cro Cop and Nog wins along with his comebacks from Randleman and Fujita along with his perfect record earned him the benefit of the doubt. Ever hear the phrase "to be the man you have to beat the man"?. Well, for someone else to be the man someone has to beat the man first.

I wish he would fight in the UFC too, but he doesn't. I also still really want to see him fight Barnett. Barnett probably needs a tune up fight by now though.

It doesn't, because looking up his stats on wikipedia doesn't show you what kind of fighter he was, Dana let him go for a reason. God forbid you actually watch the fights.

But I'll go ahead and let the Fedor Fanboi's claim he is number one in the world without fighting guys like Lesnar, Couture, Mir ,Carwin, Velasquez, Junior Dos Santos....hell even Kongo or Gonzaga. He is number one beating has beens.

I'm sorry, I like talking MMA with people who actually watch MMA and aren't just fans of a certain fighter, its obvious it isn't here.

:hysterical: You think Kongo would test the true mettle of Fedor? Gonzaga? Couture? Mir? They would be murdered by Fedor. I don't know what fights you are watching to come to your wild ideas about true bouts for Fedor, but I'm not quite sure you watched the UFC fights this weekend :doh:

I also find it laughable that you seriously think Fedor isn't joining the UFC because he's trying to dodge fights. That's absurd. Anyone who knows even a little bit about the way Dana White works would have a clue as to why Fedor is hesitant about contracting with that organization.

By the way, before you go off and call me a "Fedor boi" or whatever, you should know that I've been accused by many for having a thing for Lesnar :D And yes, that is a fight I would really like to see.

This wouldn't be a bad fight to hold over the fans until Brock can finally fight again and it could potentially answer some questions about both fighters.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17209/shane-carwin-would-happily-fight-fellow-ufc-heavyweight-contender-frank-mir.mma

Shane Carwin would happily fight fellow UFC heavyweight contender Frank Mir

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Dec 14, 2009 at 6:30 pm ET

With the Ultimate Fighting Championship's heavyweight division in a bit of disarray due to a rash of fighter injuries and champion Brock Lesnar's mysterious but obviously serious illness, one fighter is openly contemplating options for future fights.

Shane Carwin, who was next in line for a title shot until Lesnar was sidelined with injuries, initially opted to fight through his own ailment but has since decided to take time off to rehabilitate and to prepare for the birth of a child.

When he returns, though, he's open to a fight with fellow contender Frank Mir.

Mir, a former champion, convincingly defeated Cheick Kongo this past weekend at UFC 107 and rejoins the thick of the title picture with Cain Velasquez and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, who meet in February at UFC 110.

If Lesnar remains sidelined for an extended period of time, would Carwin be open to a bout with Mir?

"The answer is easy: yes," Carwin wrote on his official Web site, shane-carwin.com. "I am not a fighter who decides who he fights. I fight who I am told to fight. I like it that way. I am not trying to build a legacy; I am trying to fight the best fighters in the World and determine where I fit in.

"Mir is a multiple-time champion who has been counted out more [than] Mike Tyson to only find himself right back at the top. He is a legend of the sport, and I would be honored to fight him."

Such a matchup, of course, depends on Lesnar. As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported over the weekend, UFC president Dana White said he will know in about four to six weeks whether the champ will be forced to undergo a "major surgery." If so, the UFC title picture will move on without him, and an interim title will be implemented, White said.

Nogueira vs. Velasquez has already been booked as a non-title affair. A possible Carwin vs. Mir matchup is certainly worthy of an interim belt, as would a bout pitting the Nogueira vs. Velasquez winner against the Carwin vs. Mir winner.

As for Carwin, he's simply in wait-and-see mode.

"I am waiting to see what they have planned for the division and where I fit into the overall plans," he stated. "I am getting better everyday, training hard, and I know my time will come."

For the latest on UFC 110 and other upcoming fight cards, check out the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

But I'll go ahead and let the Fedor Fanboi's claim he is number one in the world without fighting guys like Lesnar, Couture, Mir ,Carwin, Velasquez, Junior Dos Santos....hell even Kongo or Gonzaga. He is number one beating has beens.

I'm sorry, I like talking MMA with people who actually watch MMA and aren't just fans of a certain fighter, its obvious it isn't here.

Are you calling these guys better than Fedor? If he hasn't proven anything by not yet fighting them, then what have they proven by not yet fighting him?

Fedor earned the recognition of being the best HW on Earth by slaughtering all comers when all the best were fighting in Pride. Since then he's beaten all comers in 2 other promotions.

Brock hasn't slaughtered all comers in his league. He's beaten Herring, Mir, and Couture who are all as old as the "has beens" you say Fedor beat. His size makes him a threat but by your own "has been" argument, if he doesn't fight Fedor, he hasn't proven a thing.

Couture was beaten by Brock, Nog (who lost to Fedor) and Chuck Liddell. I guess he's now a "has been" and doesn't rate P4P. Once again you fail in your argument.

Mir was beaten by Brock and Vera. If Frank keeps the weight on, I'd give him a chance vs. Fedor but I think the world would call Fedor the favorite in that matchup.

Nobody else you mentioned has even earned a belt yet. They haven't stood at the top of any heap.

I actually believe that the longer Fedor waits to fight these guys, the older, slower, and weaker he'll get. But as of today, he's accomplished more than any of the guys you mentioned and still has not been bested. Until it happens, it's pretty lame to say he's not the best HW (and maybe the best fighter) on Planet Earth.

The list of Fedor's well-known conquests... who might be has-beens now but when he fought them, they were elite.

Coleman

Randleman

Herring (twice)

Big Nog (twice)

Arona

Linlund

Cro Cop (twice)

Sobral

Goodridge

Hunt

The haters said he couldn't handle UFC fighters, so he beat Sylvia and Arlovski in less than one round combined.

At some point Fedor will simply be too old for one or two of these younger guys. What will that prove? Does Ali have to come back and fight the Klitschkos to show he was better in his day than they are now?

Edited by Chachie

This argument is just absurd on so many levels.
Agreed...I don't know why I lowered myself. Must've been really bored last night, lol.
This wouldn't be a bad fight to hold over the fans until Brock can finally fight again and it could potentially answer some questions about both fighters.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17209/shane-carwin-would-happily-fight-fellow-ufc-heavyweight-contender-frank-mir.mma

Interesting, I'd like to see that match-up.

I hope Brock really takes his time to come back. Because of that I want to see the winner of Nog-Velasquez fight the winner of Mir-Carwin for the interim title (number 1 contender if Brock will be back in time for that to be his next fight).

I hope Brock really takes his time to come back. Because of that I want to see the winner of Nog-Velasquez fight the winner of Mir-Carwin for the interim title (number 1 contender if Brock will be back in time for that to be his next fight).

I see a Nog-Mir rematch in the future. :fortune:

I think Sebowski is really Joe Silva. :D

IDK, Joe Silva probably won't put two and two together and come up with something that logical. :silly:

Speaking of heavyweights. How long do you think it will take Kimbo to finally climb the ladder. He is basically invincible standing up and has improved his slams and ground game. I think he would give Fedor a good run for his money.

:laugh:

I see it the other way. I think Mir will punk Carwin now that he's added the muscle weight and Nog has quite a handful in Velasquez.

I don't know, I think Carwin is a little better overall than Velasquez right now. They both have a lot of unanswered questions that will probably be answered soon. I think both Mir and Nog are at a little higher levels than both right now, but I give Carwin a better chance at a W. I just can't see Nog losing to Cain right now. Who knows, I have been wrong before.

Edited by lovetoaster

it'll be interesting to see how the extra weight affects Mir if a fight goes deep

he's never been known for having good cardio to begin with, adding that extra muscle could cause him to get tired if he has to go rounds

i think Cain has showed more tools than Carwin thus far. cain's striking is alot better, although he does not possess that one shot kill power that Carwin has shown. both have shown a good measure of heart of coming back when buzzed (cain against Kongo & Carwin against Gonzaga)

+1

:rotflmao:

I see it the other way. I think Mir will punk Carwin now that he's added the muscle weight and Nog has quite a handful in Velasquez.
I don't know, I think Carwin is a little better overall than Velasquez right now. They both have a lot of unanswered questions that will probably be answered soon. I think both Mir and Nog are at a little higher levels than both right now, but I give Carwin a better chance at a W. I just can't see Nog losing to Cain right now. Who knows, I have been wrong before.
it'll be interesting to see how the extra weight affects Mir if a fight goes deep

he's never been known for having good cardio to begin with, adding that extra muscle could cause him to get tired if he has to go rounds

i think Cain has showed more tools than Carwin thus far. cain's striking is alot better, although he does not possess that one shot kill power that Carwin has shown. both have shown a good measure of heart of coming back when buzzed (cain against Kongo & Carwin against Gonzaga)

Mir's going to have a hard time with Carwin's wrestling IMO. I don't necessarily think Carwin will take this fight but I do think that he will make it hard on Mir. Plus Mir has to worry about his one-hitter quitter.

I'm also curious how Mir put on that much muscle in such a short period of time. I realize that some of his bulk is fat, but he does look noticeably more muscular. About 12 lbs of muscle a year seems to be the consensus maximum of what someone can put on naturally.

And if Nog is truly healthy, I think he will beat Cain convincingly. He looked really good against Couture.

:rotflmao:

Mir's going to have a hard time with Carwin's wrestling IMO. I don't necessarily think Carwin will take this fight but I do think that he will make it hard on Mir. Plus Mir has to worry about his one-hitter quitter.

I'm also curious how Mir put on that much muscle in such a short period of time. I realize that some of his bulk is fat, but he does look noticeably more muscular. About 12 lbs of muscle a year seems to be the consensus maximum of what someone can put on naturally.

And if Nog is truly healthy, I think he will beat Cain convincingly. He looked really good against Couture.

Wait a minute, Brock put on 60lbs in two years! Naturally of course

Wait a minute, Brock put on 60lbs in two years! Naturally of course

Testosterone is natural right? :silly:

injury bug keeps biting, Lil Nog fractured his ankle so he wont be fighting Vera @ 109. i say throw Jon Jones in as a replacement

from the 107 unaired prelims:

Wow between the Redskins and MMA, there have been more injuries than I can remember. This one really sucks too because I wanted to see Vera get tooled.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Nogueira-Out-of-UFC-109-21573

Nogueira Out of UFC 109

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Loretta Hunt

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira has withdrawn from his co-headlining light heavyweight contest against Brandon Vera at UFC 109 on Feb. 6 in Las Vegas due to injury, Sherdog.com has learned from multiple sources.

Nogueira, the brother of former UFC interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, suffered a fractured ankle, said both sources. Nogueira’s manager, Ed Soares, could not be initially reached to confirm the injury.

The 33-year-old Brazilian had debuted strong for the promotion with a first-round technical knockout against Luis Arthur Cane at UFC 106 on Nov. 21 in Las Vegas. Nogueira has won six consecutive bouts; his last loss was a 23-second knockout at the hands of Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou at Pride 33 in February 2007.

Sources said the UFC is currently working to secure a new opponent for Vera on the same card.

Vera lost a unanimous decision to UFC hall of famer Randy Couture at UFC 105 on Nov. 14 in Manchester, England. The 32-year-old kickboxer had clocked in victories against Krzysztof Soszynski and Michael Patt before that.

Greg Savage contributed to this story.